cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 55 - 2 different mobos - CPU & RAM on QVL

ChopOMatic
Level 8

I'm at wit's end, a feeling many of you can relate to from past builds, I'm sure.

I built a machine around an ROG Maximus Z790 Hero mobo:

i7 13700K

2X

G.SKILL F5-6000J3040F16GX2-TZ5RK

3X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2 SSD

1X Inland Gen5 2TB M.2 SSD

No boot. Never get anything on the monitor, which is connected by HDMI.

I got another mobo, identical to the first.

Same result. I've tried every imaginable RAM config. 

Got more RAM. 2X 32GB Corsair Vengeance kits. 5600. Same thing.

Tried the USB BIOS Flashback. Doesn't work. Blinks 7 times, then goes solid.

There are no bent pins. Everything is connected perfectly. Error 55 persists. No boot. No BIOS. On the verge of giving up on ASUS and going MSI, but I thought I'd check first to see if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

ogdm
Level 7

I have the same build, even down to the exact same gskill ram set model. I cannot get it to boot with both sticks in the dual channel slots. I have everything updated. Tested both sticks individually, no issue. Same with the DIMM slots.

But I can get it to boot with 1 stick in the A2 slot. This has been the most frustrating build I've dealt with. I share your frustration and I wish someone could help me figure this out as well. I dont know what to do but I'm thinking about returning this board and getting something else.

Sorry you're suffering the same. I give up. I bit the bullet and ordered the MSI Godlike competitor.

This is my second Asus nightmare in a row. My last one crashed continually until they issued a BIOS update 2 years later that fixed it.

The good news? This will be my LAST Asus nightmare. I'm done.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ogdm 

May I ask if you have tried to troubleshoot the problem by referring to [Motherboard] Troubleshooting - No Power/No Boot/No Display?
Please test with minimal components to isolate the possible cause by following the steps in the FAQ.
Could you share the full model name of the motherboard in the current installed and the informations below?
- the current BIOS version and the content of the setting in BIOS (or whether it is the default)
- the brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, GPU, SSD/ HDD, and PSU currently installed
- the OS version and OS build
- contains a video that completely captures the problem's incidence and the surrounding environment

Thank you.

Your troubleshooting checklist is an insult to everyone commenting here.

Did you check to see if power supply was plugged in?

Gordon20024
Level 8

I'm having the same problem you guys describe.

My first board (Z690 Hero) died when I added two sticks of ram to my build. Would not post and displays error code 55 with yellow led. I removed two sticks and now will sometimes post but soon get blue screen and CTD.

Replaced Z690 Hero with new Z790-E. Error code 55 and yellow led. No post. Took computer to local shop and they got it to boot with ram in B1 and B2 slots. Brought it home and it will not post.  Returned board to Newegg and am currently waiting on a replacement.

This may be my last ASUS product. Very disappointed in build quality (I had an early Z690 Hero with reversed capacitor) and lack of customer service.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Gordon20024 

The user manual will provide you with the recommended DIMM slot codes for installing memory modules, as different motherboard models may have variations in this regard.
Please also refer to [Motherboard] How to query (CPU/memory) QVL List? to ensure compatibility by using hardware listed in the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) and minimize the chances of encountering compatibility issues.
Additionally, when troubleshooting the issue, it is recommended that you install only one memory module to see if the system can boot up.
Meanwhile, please refer to [Motherboard] Troubleshooting - No Power/No Boot/No Display as well.

Thank you.

I have read the user manual. I know how to troubleshoot. I don't need your guide to know to plug the power supply in before attempting to boot.

I have only bought cpu and ram listed as compatible in the QVL. I've insured latest BIOS, firmware and drivers are installed. When unable to find solution I've taken the mobo to local repair shop and paid to have them try and resolve the problems. That's $500 out of pocket this year to confirm that ASUS motherboards are garbage.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Gordon20024 

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
However, we would need to inquire about the troubleshooting steps you have already taken in order to better understand the context of the problem.
Next time you encounter this situation, we suggest checking if not only the BIOS is up to date but also if Intel ME has been updated to the required version of 16.1.25.2124 as per the latest BIOS.
After clearing the CMOS, try installing a single memory module in the recommended slot and see if it boots up.

Thank you.

In order to check version of BIOS and if Intel ME has been installed I'll first need to get the motherboard to post. That's something that I haven't been able to do with the last FIVE ASUS boards.

Getting the board to boot with only one stick of ram is a very low bar for accomplishment. Given the price and hype of the Maximus Hero board I expect it to function as intended with out going through extensive troubleshooting on my part.