cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS stops seeing optical drive

mortimrkhn
Level 7

I have a brand new ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming Wifi II motherboard with a flashed BIOS to the latest version as of posting that will recognize a SATA (port 4) DVD drive from a cold boot (power disconnected), but then any subsequent restarts/power-ups the BIOS will not see the drive.

I have tried replacing the cable (though I will say the motherboard SATA ports are really flimsy and I swear if you stack two SATA cables one of them presses on the clip causing the other to be loose). The drive has always shown to have power by testing the eject button. I have two SATA hard drives (ports 1 & 2) that register with no issues (Intel RST is off). Main drive is an M.2. I had a 2nd ASUS branded DVD drive that never registered that I removed under the impression it was defective, but I am second guessing that opinion now.

The issue is repeatable as it will register in the BIOS the very first power-up, but then never again.

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

achugh
Level 12

Hi @mortimrkhn , it appears your drive is getting to lower power states to save energy and once it gets into these lower power states, it is not able to wake itself up.

Have you enabled/configured any power management settings in your BIOS or in your OS? What OS are you using?

Disclaimer: I am not an ASUS support person so my information may be incomplete. Always follow official documentation and material provided by ASUS representatives.

INTEL i9-14900K / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 192GB (4x48GB) 5200 CAS38 / ROG Z790 DARK HERO / ROG TUF GAMING RTX 4090 OC / ProArt PA-602 Case / SEASONIC PRIME TX-1300 ATX 3.0 / CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 / CRUCIAL T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 / EIZO CG2700X

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @mortimrkhn 

May I ask if the BIOS is able to recognize the DVD optical drive but fails after updating to BIOS 1301?
Could you please confirm the following:
- Did you clear CMOS after updating the BIOS, and have you made any manual adjustments in the BIOS, such as to the SATA controller(s) or SATA6G settings?
- Have you tried cross-testing other SATA ports?
- share images of the BIOS main page and all the manually adjusted items in BIOS
- the brand and model name of the CPU, GPU, RAM (part number and installed slots as well), SSD/HDD, and PSU currently installed
- are there any extensions or adapters used to connect any devices, such as GPU or SSD?
- the OS version and OS build

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

achugh
Level 12

Hi @mortimrkhn , I have a very similar issue where my microphone would work only under certain conditions. It turned out to be a lose cable connection. Have you tried to just have 1 SATA device i.e. your Optical Drive connected so that you can properly connect the SATA cable to the board and not have to run into cables bumping into each other causing a lose connection? You have also mentioned that you are having trouble keeping the cables connected to the board as the SATA ports are typically stacked and you are connecting almost every SATA cable possible.

The drive eject is not a good test because you can disconnect the SATA cable and just have the power cable connected to your drive and the drive will still open. This behavior is needed in case you have a disc stuck in the drive and it needs to be ejected or removed. Then you really don't need data cables to be connected. You just need power. In other words, having a drive open or close only proves that the drive has power. It does not prove that the data connection is good. 

Disclaimer: I am not an ASUS support person so my information may be incomplete. Always follow official documentation and material provided by ASUS representatives.

INTEL i9-14900K / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 192GB (4x48GB) 5200 CAS38 / ROG Z790 DARK HERO / ROG TUF GAMING RTX 4090 OC / ProArt PA-602 Case / SEASONIC PRIME TX-1300 ATX 3.0 / CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 / CRUCIAL T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 / EIZO CG2700X