cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 1616 PBO not possible

Paul_Anderegg
Level 8

B650M Plus WiFi, 7800X3D, just updated to 1616.

Everything stock AUTO, I can get into Windows.

Simply setting PBO from Auto to Enabled causes BSOD loop trying to get into Windows.

I can run EXPO with PBO off.

My choice seems to be 1616 with EXPO 6000 CL40 or 1413 with PBO and CO with 4800 CL40.

Which would work best for my 7800X3D SMT off given the limitations of Asus's ability to generate a fully functional BIOS?

Paul

8 REPLIES 8

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Paul_Anderegg 

May I ask if you get a BSOD after clearing CMOS and turning on PBO?
Please help provide the following information so that we can further confirm the situation of the problem:
- the brand, model name, and part number of the DRAM
- the brand and model name of the GPU, SSD/HDD, and PSU currently installed
- the OS version and OS build
Meanwhile, please share a video that completely captures the problem's incidence and the surrounding environment.

Thank you.

Have not attempted CMOS clear yet, due to the location of the coin battery requiring the removal of my 3090 Ti FTW, which is a real PITA to mount in this board due to the GPU slot being in the #2 slot location.

Ram is 6000 CL30 Z5 Neo EXPO. GPU is the aforementioned 3090 Ti FTW3. SSD 970 EVO 1TB, and EVGA 850 T2 PSU running on up to date Windows 11.

I reverted to 1413 for now with only PBO and CO options. I was going to mess with the CMOS maybe when I tear down for my Cablemod upgraded cable kit soon. Would I just BIOS flashback to 1616 and before powering it up again for the first time do the CMOS clear? I had done that previously by removing the battery, holding the power button for 30 seconds, then shorting the battery holder with a screwedriver if that is the correct way?

I tried just toggling CO -10 with PBO off as well, but that also instBSOD into Windows.

Paul

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Paul_Anderegg .

Yes, please refer to How to clear CMOS? instructions to restore BIOS settings after updating to the latest version of BIOS.
Regarding the memory part number, is it F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N? What is the current OS version and OS build?

Thank you.

I cleared the CMOS after reinstalling 1616, now I get BSOD attempting EXPO with PBO off. I turned off EXPO and attempting default settings, the PC restarts and doesn't enter BIOS setup or Windows, just a black screen with my USB dongle keyboard flashing that the USB transmitter isn't connected to an active system. I cannot access Windows at the moment so cannot retrieve the version information, but whatever the current check-for0-updates as of Tuesday spat out for normal non preview users.

Side note, the BSOD goes to 100% then just locks up, never restarts as it states and I give it a 15 minute Alexa timer before manually resetting the PC.

RAM kit is F5-6000J3038F16GX-TZ5N

Paul

Paul_Anderegg
Level 8

hour later update: Somehow finally got it booted into Windows EXPO I instead of II, and PBO no CO humming along in an OCCT CPU stability test at the moment before attempting EXPO + PBO +CO. (crossing fingers)

Paul

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Paul_Anderegg .

So you may enable EXPO I + PBO + CO in BIOS version 1616 and pass the OCCT CPU stability test at this time?
Please continuing to monitor the usage situation, and if any issues arise, please feel free to provide updates at any time.

Thank you.

EXPO + PBO + CO = BSOD.

This led to black screen of BIOS death, and after many resets later, now the BIOS is requiring rest fTPM, so having to go through resetting my PC's PIN on a BT keyboard which is disabled when TPM is reset, so fun.

The FAQ for my MB has a "will EXPO void my warranty" question added with official Asus response being "no", so I guess I will just go back to 1413 and hammer this MoFo with 1.5v of EXPO SoC and leave it in Gods hands.

Paul

Paul_Anderegg
Level 8

OK, seems to be up and running EXPO + PBO +CO, and passing extreme OCCT at -10 CO. -15 CO produced 10000 errors.

The way around all the blue and black screens of death, seemed to be to F5, then restart, and make all changes at once instead of adding one by one as someone suggested who was having similar issues. I also disabled memory context restore for now just to ensure that wasn't an issue, because that caused massive headaches with my 7600X.

Paul