cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B760-i motherboard with i9 12900k cpu

Aky395
Level 7

I am have trouble with my motherboard and CPU. I have made this motherboard work with an i5 12900k and 64gb RAM . My issue is with the i9 CPU. When I place that into the motherboard the RAM Led lights up . I have removed the ram and still the led lights up. I have swapped and tried just one . Still no good. Bios is up to date as I have checked with the i5. I am unable to get into the bios with the i9 . I had two other motherboards that I tried with and at one point I had the CPU and Ram working,but when I swapped to the itx board it wasn't working again and haven't been able to figure out what made it work that 1 or 2 times. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nate152

It's possible your power strip could be hindering power to your pc.

You could install the i5, go into the bios and hit the F5 key to be sure the bios is reset to default settings.

Shut down your pc and unplug the power supply cable, install the i9-12900k, then connect your power supply cable directly to a wall socket.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Nate152

Hello Aky395

To confirm, you've updated the bios to version 1656?

ROG STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI | Gaming motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)

With your pc turned off and the power supply cable unplugged, clear the cmos by shorting the two pins with a screwdriver or similar.

Then try starting your pc. Upon booting up, it may show the bios screen with a message that a new cpu is installed.

b760-i clear cmos.png

Hey Nate,  Yes that is the bios I updated too. I also tried the CMOS before and just tried again as a long shoot. Still no good . Blank screen and not able to enter bios still.

Nate152

Thank you for confirming the bios version.

If it's not booting with the Dram led lit (yellow), this could be a sign that your cpu cooler is not mounted evenly or it's too tight, you could also have some bent/misaligned cpu socket pins.

1) Try with one stick of memory in the A2 slot. (2nd slot from the cpu)

2) Try loosening the cpu cooler a little.

3) If no help, remove the cpu cooler and inspect the cpu socket for any bent/misaligned socket pins. Look carefully with a magnifying glass, you can post us some pictures of the cpu socket at different angles for us to inspect if you like.

I have swapped the i5 back and forth with the i9 . The i5 is fine ,but the i9 just doesn't work. Which I would normally say faulty CPU but it did work 1-2 times. It is so weird. I have tried the ram in both slots and in just one slot leaving the power on for 10mins the see if it would booth through . No luck .

Nate152

Another thing that comes to mind is power.

Because the i9-12900k draws more power, it could possibly be a psu issue.

Is your power supply connected directly to a wall socket?

What memory kit, graphics card and power supply do you have?

I have a 850 PSU , 64gb ram DDR5 corsair , rtx3070

Nate152

Thank you

Your psu should be fine, is it connected directly to a wall socket?

Not at this moment, but I have tried before. I also tried two other PSU and no difference. I have swapped motherboards and PSU, between three different ones. The only thing I haven't swapped is the ram , but I know it is fine as it works fine with the i5 . I just can't get the i9 to work again after getting working before. At this point I am guessing voltage issue to the CPU or charging ram settings on bios to see if that works with the i9. It is a long shot ,but I can't think of anything else.

Nate152

It's possible your power strip could be hindering power to your pc.

You could install the i5, go into the bios and hit the F5 key to be sure the bios is reset to default settings.

Shut down your pc and unplug the power supply cable, install the i9-12900k, then connect your power supply cable directly to a wall socket.