cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B650E-E Q-Code b8

samrk
Level 8

My B650E-E based system has been running fine since I built it a few months ago and it has the latest BIOS

Today I came home and it had powered down itself and now when I power-up it the Q-Code displays 15 for a while and then hangs displaying "b8" with no display output to the monitor. I can't even get into the BIOS.

The manual states "This Q Code is "Reserved for future AMI error codes"

I have tried clearing the BIOS (and removing the battery) but it still just hangs

Any suggestions before I RMA the mobo?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @samrk 

As indicated in my previous responses and the FAQ, Q-codes A0 and 15 signify the detection of issues with the boot-up device, CPU, and memory during the startup process.
To further isolate potential hardware problems, we recommend conducting a minimal equipment test, and if possible, please also try cross-testing with a different CPU.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

achugh
Level 12

@samrk You can try clearing CMOS using this FAQ specially shorting the PINs instead of using the CLR CMOS button. If that does not work, I would start removing all the devices connected to your motherboard except a keyboard and a monitor (even mouse is not needed). Now only put 1 memory stick in the motherboard. Look into your manual as to where to put only 1 stick, remove any GFX card you have. I would also check your monitor and the cable if you have means to confirm that the cable and the monitor is working properly. Your board has a DP and HDMI port. I will try DP first and the HDMI port. While trying all these things see if the Q-CODE always gets stuck with the same code or the code changes to guide you what is going on.

How much memory do you have and how many DIMM Slots are in use? Reducing the memory to 1 stick in just 1 slot should help speed things up to finish the pre-check so that you can get into BIOS and get back into a working state. You could have a BAD Memory stick so trying with just 1 stick at a time in the slot mentioned in your manual for single stick of memory is the way to rule out your issue with the motherboard or something else.

Disclaimer: I am not an ASUS support person so my information may be incomplete. Always follow official documentation and material provided by ASUS representatives.

INTEL i9-14900K / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 192GB (4x48GB) 5200 CAS38 / ROG Z790 DARK HERO / ROG TUF GAMING RTX 4090 OC / ProArt PA-602 Case / SEASONIC PRIME TX-1300 ATX 3.0 / CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 / CRUCIAL T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 / EIZO CG2700X

Thanks, I tried all that and also used different PSU outputs for the ATX 12 V supply - nothing makes any differencePXL_20240624_193119881.jpg

samrk
Level 8

The LED above the Q Code display is red which is supposed to indicate a CPU issue according to the manual

@samrk You are correct. It seems your CPU is not completing the prechecks for the motherboard firmware to proceed forward. This could happen due to bad installation of CPU or CPU overheating. At this time, you would need to remove your CPU cooler and open the CPU socket carefully to see if any of the CPU pins in the socket are bent or damaged or if the CPU itself has gone bad. Once you take the CPU out of the socket, shining a flash light at various angles may help you spot if any of the CPU pins are bent or damaged. If everything looks good, you can try to put the CPU back in again and give it another try (do not forget to check the orientation again as you put back the CPU so that it is installed correctly.).

Short of ordering another CPU, I don't know how you can test if your CPU is good or bad. Maybe you have friends who have a desktop machine with same type of motherboard socket and are willing to take apart their machine to help you test your CPU works in another board. It will be very hard to find such a friend so I understand your pain.

If you order another CPU and that CPU also does not work because if this happens to be your motherboard issue then returning this used CPU will be an issue.

I am sorry, there are no good options I have to help you find out if the CPU itself is a problem or the CPU socket has become damaged and your board is now a problem.

Maybe someone from the ROG Care team or others here might be able to help you figure out the root cause of your issue.

I only hope and wish that you simply taking the CPU out and reseating it fixes your issue as that would be easiest and best option for you at this time. Good luck!

Disclaimer: I am not an ASUS support person so my information may be incomplete. Always follow official documentation and material provided by ASUS representatives.

INTEL i9-14900K / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 192GB (4x48GB) 5200 CAS38 / ROG Z790 DARK HERO / ROG TUF GAMING RTX 4090 OC / ProArt PA-602 Case / SEASONIC PRIME TX-1300 ATX 3.0 / CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 / CRUCIAL T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 / EIZO CG2700X

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @samrk 

According to the [Motherboard] Common Q-CODE (Error CODE) and Troubleshooting guide, the Q-code 15 error on AMD platform motherboards indicates detection of CPU and memory abnormalities during POST.
We recommend removing and reinstalling the CPU and RAM to ensure no bent CPU pins and that the RAM is installed in the recommended slots as per the manual.

Jiaszzz_ROG_0-1719501128933.png

If necessary, perform a bare-board test in an insulated environment:
install only the CPU on the motherboard, use integrated graphics for display output, install a single RAM module in the recommended slot, and connect the PSU.
Alternatively, try cross-testing with different CPU and RAM modules to isolate potential hardware issues.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Thanks very much for your reply.

The PC was working fine for 3 months until it suddenly failed. Therefore I don't see how the problem could be caused by bent pins on the CPU socket since this would have caused a problem from day one - right?

I have tried the bare bones tests you suggest and I have also swapped the PSU but the problem persists. Are there any other tests you could suggest - should I remove the SSD for example?

One more piece of information - after it first failed and I powered it up, it went through the Q-Code sequence until it reached "A0" and then the PC immediately powered down. I did this a few times before it started hanging on "b3".

Do you think it could be a voltage regulator problem?

Thanks!

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @samrk 

As indicated in my previous responses and the FAQ, Q-codes A0 and 15 signify the detection of issues with the boot-up device, CPU, and memory during the startup process.
To further isolate potential hardware problems, we recommend conducting a minimal equipment test, and if possible, please also try cross-testing with a different CPU.

Thank you.

According to the manual

Q Code 18 is "Pre-Memory System Agent Initialisation is started"

Q Code A0 is "IDE initialisation is started"

Neither of these appear to signify an error with CU or memory and I am pretty sure that when the PC was working "A0" was permanently displayed after the OS was booted.  

If no RAM is installed I get the Q Code "10"

If no CPU is installed it won't power up

Therefore, I believe that the motherboard is faulty and I would like to RMA it unless you can suggest any alternative tests

Config Below

ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi
AMD Ryzen 9 7900
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super Ventus XS 6Gb OC
Corsair Vengeance Grey 32GB 6000MHz AMD EXPO DDR5
Crucial T700 1TB Gen5 NVMe M.2 SSD
PNY CS900 Internal SSD SATA III, 2.5 Inch, 250GB, Read speed up to 535MB/s
Corsair RM850x 850 Watt Fully Modular 80+ Gold PSU/Power Supply