cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B650 Prime Plus unstable with DDR5 DOCP/EXPO

VladF
Level 7

Hi there, I have an issue where I am unable to do any adjustments to my memory speed. If I turn on DOCP 1/2 my system is immediately unstable and rarely even boots successfully. I have tried 3 different sets of QVL memory in all sorts of configurations with no success. I have even found that doing so much as simply setting the memory speed to DDR5-4800 manually will cause very similar instability despite that not changing the speed from the 'auto' setting. Stranger yet I've found that my system is effectively 'poisoned' after trying any of these settings until I clear the CMOS. For instance if I turn on DOCP, reboot, crash, then load optimized defaults, my system will still crash. Yet if I reset CMOS, everything works fine stock. I can even use precision boost overdrive with a fair amount of CPU overclocking with no problems. Interestingly, if I overclock the CPU first, then the DOCP profiles are a little more stable, but still eventually crash. I have also tried updating the bios several times to no avail. I have also tried a whole bunch of clock speeds, voltages, and timings from the QVL and various fora. I am very suspicious of the motherboard at this point since I cannot think why reloading defaults doesn't actually resolve issues caused by enabling and subsequently disablibg DOCP.

Are there any known issues with early b650 boards? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Spec:

Windows 11 pro

Asus B650 Prime Plus (bios 1811)

Ryzen 7 7700x

2x16GB set to auto (4800 stable)

G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK

EVGA Rtx 3090ti

Asus thunderbolt ex4

EVGA 1000w PSU

3 REPLIES 3

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @VladF 

Could you kindly confirm whether you referred to the recommended memory configurations by installing the memory in DIMM_A2 and B2 slots?

May I ask if the situation you described happened after any changes were made? For example, updating the BIOS or memory replacement 
Additionally, could you please share information on two other sets of QVL memory models, along with their part numbers and the installation slots, that have been cross-tested?
Please ensure that all memory modules are from the same validated memory kit. 
Do not mix DIMMs from different memory kits—even if they are the same brand and model.
We recommend that you adjust the memory overclocking option to [EXPO I] after clearing CMOS and check if this could improve the situation.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

The two other memory kits I had tried were:

G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5S

Team T-Force Delta FF3D532G6400HC40BDC01

Memory is always installed the A2,B2 configuration (though I have tried the others just to see if it might help for some reason)

I have also tried all of these suggestions to no avail, although I was able to get the system in a working stable state by doing some odd things.

Basically my conclusion is there is something very wrong with the BIOS/firmware. enabling any of the AI overlock/DOCP settings results in bad things happening. However, if I read all of the exact settings applied by DOCP II, but instead enter them manually leaving the overclock settings on 'Auto', then everything actually works as intended. I must set the memory BCLK, timings, voltages, and speed manually. Again, done by essentially enabling DOCP, copying the settings, resetting CMOS, then manually keying in values without touching the overclock setting. There seem to be some additional settings that should not be touched and/or are not set properly when using the 'AI overclocking' option. Made more frustrating by the fact that a CMOS clear is the only way to guarantee the system is actually reset to default.

So again, to be explicit, I was able to get my current configuration as listed int he 1st post stable, running at DDR5-7200 by manually keying in all of the DOCP II settings WITHOUT touching the 'AI overclocking'/DOCP menu options. This is with a memory BCLK of 1800. I wasn't sure what value this needed to be so this took some guessing/experimentation.

The only thing I can conclude from this is that there is some firmware issue that's specific to this motherboard in particular.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @VladF 

The overclocking process, influenced not only by the motherboard or BIOS but also by the inherent quality of the memory modules, varies depending on the component and environment. Factors like voltage, amperage, and wattage can potentially affect this process.
Due to being an open-ended product, memory overclocking is significantly influenced by individual differences.
As explained in the screenshot above, the DOCP II parameter values load the DIMM's default DOCP profile.
Please prioritize reviewing the settings for EXPO I and DOCP I as they are loaded with parameters optimized by ASUS.
However, if you have manually configured settings that are suitable for your current hardware configuration, we recommend sticking with those settings.

Regarding the memory speed, could you clarify if you confirm it through the BIOS or use third-party software in the OS?
Kindly provide a complete BIOS image of your settings, an image of the memory clock in the BIOS, or the test results under OS.
Meanwhile, upon checking the three sets of memory you provided, only the F5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK is listed in the QVL, while the F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5S and FF3D532G6400HC40BDC01 are not.
We recommend prioritizing memory modules listed in the QVL.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂