cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B550-I Crashing with Nvidia 4000 series GPUs

Tedmilk
Level 9

I'm reposting this here from the ROG forum community post for better visibility

(Re: ASUS B550-I STRIX BIOS "2806" UPDATE to fix 4... - Republic of Gamers Forum - 898464)

Could someone please get back to the growing list of users with the issue described in the above thread?

343 REPLIES 343

I was not getting very far with support until I posted in this forum and then was contacted and put in touch with the right person.

It took a few days to sort out and arrange collection because paperwork for customs needed to be done and then just under 2 weeks for the board to be returned.

Were you being recommended to select ‘prefer maximum performance’ in Nvidia control panel?

Hi! 

I too have the same issue w/strix b550-i gaming paired w/Nvidia rtx 4070 Super fe. I didn't know about this issue until after I put my rig together and loaded up all the proper drivers, software and bios update to current. 

I thought I may have either installed hardware incorrectly or wrong drivers. After multiple crashes, restarts and failed restarts I ended up completely disassembling rig, slowly and precisely installing hardware, double checking that all components were seated securely including cables from psu to motherboard and gpu, reinstalled all correct drivers/software (which was all correct in the 1st place) only to have the random crashes continue.

A websearch of my mb/gpu combo immediately brought up exact issue. 

I was floored!

May I ask who your correct contact is at asus? Could you pass them my info?

I just built this machine and the return period for my brand new 4070 Super fe has come and went. I ended up having to buy a new (used) 3080ti fe which is working w/o the constant crashes. But I'd really like to use my new gpu w/my new rig.

Any help regarding getting in contact with your rep would be greatly appreciated!

You can use your 4070, you dont have to buy another card. Just change the power settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

Contact Asus Support for instructions. Then RMA the board.

I definitely changed power settings to the suggested fix. Seemed to work for almost an hour. I appreciate your input. I've thoroughly researched and read this forum and on reddit. I've already purchased a 30 series and random crashing ceased. Was even able to dial down power settings and all is good.

Hi!

I did thorough research on this topic and applied the prefer maximum performance setting. Doing so allowed me to run my pc (at times) for nearly an hour before it would continue randomly crashing. So for me the preform maximum performance was a slight tease with the same outcome in the end, random crashes, failed boot ups. 

Thanks for your suggestions and I appreciate you!

TheChief79
Level 9

I also was out of warranty and had no invoice, because i bought it on eBay. Spoke via mail with the support and should RMA the board with the case number and they replaced it for free within 2 or 3 weeks. (Germany to CZ and back). So great support, thanks!

@TheChief79 Thank you for sharing your experience that’s really useful to know. 

Did you incur any charges for an out of warranty replacement? Im just getting suggestions from customer support to enable 'prefer maximum performance' what seems like a bandaid to an apparent manufacturing fault.

No charges, they changed it for free, incl. Express Shipping.