cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At a bit of a loss - ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero WiFi6E LGA 1700 - Instability issues

bms85
Level 7

Hi All, 

I'm running an Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 14900k, 128gb(4x32gb) Kingston Furry Beast 5600mt/s and a RTX 4090 founders edition. This has been my first build in 5 years. I have generally built a new PC every 2-3 years for the last 20 years. Maybe it was luck, but I've always built top-of-the-line and never encountered any issues. I don't even remember QVL tables being a thing?

For some reason, my latest build seems highly unstable. It took me a day and a half just to get Windows to install and boot. I don't remember exactly what the problems were, but they were BSOD and all ram/memory-related. I was eventually able to get it to stop BSODing by updating the bios.

It's been stable(ish) for a few months. BSOD is very rare (minus a current game I'm playing that seems to be terribly optimized), but I still get way more application crashes than I've ever been used to. If I check Event Viewer they all still appear to be memory-related. I'm running my RAM at 4200mt/s (anything higher seems unstable). It passes Windows Memory Diagnostics and all 4 passes of Memtest86 with no errors. 

I updated to the latest BIOS and Drivers for the board and tried dropping to two sticks of ram (A lot of people online say it's more stable this way). I'm fully up to date including windows 11 Pro.

Any Idea where to start looking?
The board advertises 128gb of RAM but I don't see any 128 configurations in the QVL? Can I double up one of the 2x32gb RAM configurations from he QVL and still have it be considered acceptable? Would it run better than my ram that isn't in the QVL?

Nightingale is wreaking havoc on this build. It crashes constantly. My last 2 builds run it without a single crash. This build Crashes consistently in a few games. It also seems to crash divinci resolve a lot which is well known for its stability. 

The most common BSOD I'm seeing right now is:
ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NONEXECTUE_MEMORY

3 REPLIES 3

bms85
Level 7

I was running a RAM test while writing my post so I couldn't look back on the errors I'm getting. I was getting a little worried that updating the Bios and drivers was what caused my issues to get worse. It looks like the same issues that are crashing the game are also crashing background processes before the game was released.

The vast majority of the crash exception codes in Event Viewer are exception code c0000005 (access violation error ) with c0000409(Status stack buffer overrun) as a close second.

I've also logged the following exception codes in the last week. Do any of these paint a picture or give any idea for where to start looking?
c0000374 (status heap corruption)
c000001d (Illegal Instruction)
0x80000003 (exception breakpoint)

I built the PC in October. It scored great on 3dMark tests. My wife and I passed the flu and covid back and forth from December through the beginning of February. I didn't get a lot of time to play with it, but between then and now, I can't even run 3dMark without a crash. It's mostly throwing c0000005 or c0000409. I'm very lost and pretty overwhelmed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @bms85 

The board advertises 128gb of RAM but I don't see any 128 configurations in the QVL?
>>In the Memory QVL for the ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO, ASUS has the 4x32GB configuration, which includes the following memory options:

Can I double up one of the 2x32gb RAM configurations from he QVL and still have it be considered acceptable? Would it run better than my ram that isn't in the QVL?
>>Please refer to the "purchasing and installation guide" on the same page, which states:

Ensure that all memory modules are from the same validated memory kit. Do not mix DIMMs from different memory kits—even if they are the same brand and model (e.g., two DIMMs each from two different memory kits). 
Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in a failure to boot and compatibility issues.

While you have the flexibility to choose compatible RAM that meets the motherboard specifications, it's important to note that the part numbers listed in the QVL have been verified by ASUS for the stability and compatibility when installed with the devices in the CPU/Memory QVL list. 
Thank you.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @bms85 

Higher densities are always going to be tougher on the CPU. Can you confirm the system is stabled at Optimised Defaults?

The below shows stock memory by configuration for 2 DIMMs per Channel on a 4 DIMM Per Channel board in single and dual rank. Beyond these configurations is considered an overclock. 2DPC configurations are fairly frequency-limited on current DDR5 platforms due to the CPU memory controllers, hence why only a handful of high-density kits are validated.

Intel_13th_DDR5.png

Hynix M-Die-based memory kits (2x24GB) are more fond of frequency, there are some kits validated here. However, again, note that the QVL shows kits that ASUS have validated as working themselves, they do not have access to an infinite number of CPUs - tuning may be required.

Silent_Scone_0-1709016363302.png

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090