cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix Z790-A Gaming WIfi II - Optical sound stops working

TechyGuy
Level 8

Hello to you all. I'm writing to you today because I'm not sure what to do about a problem I've been having since I built my very recent configuration. I have an Asus Rog Strix Z790-A Gaming Wifi II motherboard with an I7 14700K CPU.

I regularly check for BIOS and driver updates and when there are any I do them immediately, so needless to say I'm up to date with the updates.

My problem is as follows... I have an optical audio system connected which works perfectly well because it worked without any problem with my old configuration. When I start up my system, the audio system is correctly detected because I can hear the login sound. Then I start to do things quietly, such as listening to videos on Facebook (this is where the problem most often occurs and where it's most obvious, but it can happen in other places too). So at totally random moments the sound can cut out for no apparent reason, and the only way to get it working again is to reboot the system. I've tried deactivating / reactivating the sound card, changing the default audio source - in short, anything that doesn't require a reboot, because it's certain that the problem won't be present again if I reboot until the next cut-out.

However, something caught my eye... My audio system has a control panel with which I can control certain options such as input, sound options, channel, etc. On this control panel I have a small screen which allows me to see certain information. On this control panel I have a small screen that allows me to view certain information. I've noticed that when the sound card isn't used, it's as if no audio source were detected. It's as if the sound card went into standby mode. So I asked myself a question... How can I ensure that the sound card is always activated without any sound being emitted? That way, the card would never go into standby mode. So I created a 40-hour MP3 file without any sound in it. I then placed this MP3 file in the system's autostart. Magic! Since then, I've had no more disconnection problems. So now I'm thinking that the problem probably lies with the audio driver.

So now, is there any way of ensuring that the sound card is always active without having to manage this via an MP3 file?

Thank you all very much for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TechyGuy
Level 8

Great news, my issue is resolved. The problem doesn't come from the computer at all, but from the controller of my audio system. In fact, to make a long story short, the problem occurs from time to time because the controller doesn't keep the SPDIF signal active when there's no sound, and sometimes it just doesn't kick back in. That's why the MP3 file prevented the problem from occurring.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @TechyGuy 

Could you please specify the brand and model of the optical audio system you are currently using, and which port on the ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI II it is connected to?
When the intermittent sound cutout occurs, does "reboot the system" refer to rebooting the optical audio system or the PC?
If you clear CMOS and boot into the system with the default BIOS settings, does the issue still occur?
Additionally, we recommend referring to [Windows 11/10] Change Power mode and plan to check if there are specific power adjustments under Change advanced power settings.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Sure, I can provide the model of my audio system. My system is the Logitech Z-5500. The system is connected to the optical port of the motherboard because I had no choice but to connect it this way. I don't have the jack connections that I had with my previous setup. When the problem occurs, to make the sound functional again, I have to restart the entire computer. As for the BIOS, I've already tried adjusting it. In any case, the only thing I changed in the BIOS is the XMP profile so that my RAM is correctly detected at the proper frequencies.

May not help, but I'd disable XMP and check the issue is still there. Removing any and all overclocks should be toubleshooting 101.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I am currently testing without the XMP profile. I will give you the results in a few days. It would still be a shame if this is the reason my memory speed drops from 6600 to 4800 :'(

Honestly, I don't know what to say... It's been about 4 days now that I've been running tests without the XMP profile enabled, without MP3 files, and I haven't had any issues. But could you explain to me the connection between the XMP profile and the sound card? XD Seriously, I'm at a loss for words hahahahaha Also, how can I achieve the full speed of my RAM without enabling the XMP profile, since I'm losing quite a bit of speed without it? Probably by adjusting the clock manually in the BIOS? Thanks again

Did you test the memory stability after enabling XMP? Use Karhu RAM Test or HCI Memtest.

Memtest86+ within the tools menu in the UEFI will give you some indication of stability also, but best to test in the OS.

See here for more info on XMP/EXPO.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

jagerx9
Level 8

Having the same issue on the Line Out jack. Makes me wonder if something is very wrong with the pinouts on the audio I/O. I was planning to just go with optical audio but seems like that's a problem too.

Same thing here; latest BIOS, brand new build, same mobo, same CPU.

I have serious doubts about the audio driver... What could explain the fact that when an MP3 file is playing in the background (which keeps the sound card engaged), the problem never occurs. Could you test on your end if this solution works for you as well? I created a 40-hour silent MP3 file that I set to play at startup, and since then, no problems.

For me it's just straight up awful sound out of Line Out regardless of driver configuration, realtek/microsoft/etc. I'm not sure its a driver engagement issue. Have you tried your case I/O? My AAFP case jack works fine. Just a bad solder likely.