cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming not recognizing 8-pin CPU power

Sledge_Hammer1
Level 7

I have upgraded a computer with this new Asus motherboard from a completely working computer. During boot a BIOS message appears stating, "The system has only detected a single 4-pin connector for the CPU. It is recommended to connect 8-pin power plugs..." This is not the case. There is an 8-pin connection to the CPU power on the MB. I have verified there is power there with a computer power supply tester. I have even installed a new power supply. There is no change in the results. The motherboard shows no error LED's lit. The computer boots normally into Windows. Is there some jumper or BIOS setting I am missing?

CPU= Intel Core i7-8700K

2 REPLIES 2

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Sledge_Hammer1 

Could you please share the brands and models of the PSUs you have tested? Have you used the power connector that came with the PSU to connect to the motherboard?
Could you also provide a photo of the connection?
According to the ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING User’s Manual ( English ), both ATX power supply plugs labeled as A and B need to be correctly connected.

We recommend cross-testing with different power connectors and double-checking the power supply connection.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

yabhi8610
Level 7
  1. Check Power Supply Connections:

• Ensure that your power supply unit (PSU) is properly connected to the motherboard.
    • Double-check that the 24-pin ATX power connector and the 8-pin CPU power connector are securely plugged into the motherboard.
  2. Inspect Cables:

• Examine the cables for any signs of damage or wear. If you find any issues, consider replacing the cables.
    • If possible, try using different cables to rule out the possibility of a faulty cable.
  3. Verify PSU Output:

• Check the output of your PSU using a multimeter or use a power supply tester to ensure that it is providing the correct voltage.
  4. Try Different Power Supply:

• If you have access to another power supply, try using it to see if the issue persists. This can help determine whether the problem lies with the motherboard or the PSU.
  5. Reset BIOS/UEFI:

• Power off your computer and disconnect it from the electrical outlet.
    • Clear the CMOS by either using the motherboard jumper (refer to your motherboard manual) or removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. This will reset the BIOS/UEFI settings.
    • Reconnect the CMOS battery or set the jumper back to its original position.
    • Power on your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
  6. Update BIOS/UEFI:

• Visit the Asus website and check for the latest BIOS/UEFI firmware updates for your motherboard model.
    • If there are updates available, follow the manufacturer's instructions to update the BIOS/UEFI.
  7. Check for Bent Pins:

• Examine the 8-pin CPU power connector on the motherboard for any bent or damaged pins. If you find any, try straightening them using a non-conductive tool.
  8. Contact Asus Support:

• If the issue persists after trying the above steps, it may be best to contact Asus technical support for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your motherboard model and may offer warranty support if the motherboard is still under warranty.