cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WIFI only posts/boots after full power cycle.

b-j
Level 8

Hello,

I've build a new system (components see below). It runs stable in general but unfortunately it only posts/boots when doing a full power cycle. When rebooting from windows or exiting the bios (save changes & reset) it hangs with a black screen. I have to shut down and then power on again for it to work. I am currently on the latest bios (v 1654).

I tried:

• reseating everything
  • disabling fast boot
  • resetting the CMOS via header  and running the bios on stock settings
  • updating the GPU bios
  • setting PCIEX16 Link Mode to Gen4 in BIOS (instead Auto)
  • setting the Alternation Mode Switch from Auto to Gen4 on the ROG FPS-II card
  • removing the ROG FPS-II card
  • using the iGPU

No luck. Anything else I could try?

TIA
b

Edit:

ROG STRIX HIVE 
full power cycle:

restart

System:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. I totally forgot about the riser cable and indeed it is the cause for both problems (booting and PCIE speed) .  Sorry for bothering you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

b-j
Level 8

Ok, I now checked with GPU-Z and apparantly the GPU is only running at PCI-Express x8 4.0.
PCIEX16 Bandwidth Bifurcation Configuration
is set to Auto Mode. The other settings that are available are PCIE X8X8 Mode and PCIE RAID Mode, setting X16 explicitly is not possible.
For PCIEX16 Link Mode I tried leaving it at Auto and setting it to GEN 4.
I moved my M2 drive from slot 1 to slot 2 but this also doesn't make any difference.
For M.2_1 and M.2_2 Link Mode I also tried setting Auto and GEN 4.
(Chipset Link Modes were left at Auto the whole time)
I don't know how this related to the "original issue" but I assume it's related.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @b-j 

Thank you for providing the relevant information.
Regarding the issue of needing a cold boot to pass POST and enter the system, we suggest that you try cross-testing the memory listed in the QVL to address this problem, as your current RMA part number, CMK64GX5M2B6000Z30, is not listed in ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI's QVL.

Please refer to the instructions in [Motherboard] How to query (CPU/memory) QVL List? and also check the "purchasing and installation guide" under the "Memory" section on the official website of the ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI's support page if needed.

Regarding the GPU bandwidth problem, could you please confirm if you are using an adapter to connect it?
If so, could you try installing it directly on the motherboard?
If not, is there an opportunity to cross-test with another GPU?

Thank you.

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. I totally forgot about the riser cable and indeed it is the cause for both problems (booting and PCIE speed) .  Sorry for bothering you.