cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13600K temperature problem (hits 100c)

kassleu
Level 8
Hi,

I just built my 13600KF system with ROG Strix B760-F (gaming wifi) motherboard and I have a problem with CPU temperature.
It hits 100c almost immediately in CineBench (thermal throttle).
I think that my cooler (Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL240 FLUX) is OK because temperature goes down to normal very quickly as soon as I stop the test and I saw several posts with the same problem and different cooling configurations.

I tried undervolting from BIOS using the following parameters :
- DIGI+ VRM -> CPU load line calibration : level 4 (also tried 5)
- Actual VRM core voltage -> offset mode sign : -
- Actual VRM core voltage -> CPU core voltage offset : 0.11 (also tried 0.10 and 0.135)

Unfortunately, it seems to have almost no effect because CPU voltage still goes up to 1.305V and above (1.31 and even 1.32V), and temp hits 100c.
With manual mode set to 1.27 instead of offset mode, temp is significantly lower but with a big drop in performance (Cinebench rating drop to 12-13K from 23K).

Do you have any advice to improve CPU temp without such big drop in performance ?
It's a shame to have to tweak my system in order to have acceptable CPU temp... I hope that Asus and/or Intel will solve this problem in the future.
8,436 Views
32 REPLIES 32

JohnAb
Level 17
Cinebench is a very CPU intensive test of course. When I run it, my CPU jumps to mid 80s immediately and then climbs closer to 90C during the test. It all depends on your cooler, thermal contact etc etc. I have a 360mm cooler, so there will be more fluid circulating and therefore more capacity to manage the heat. In addition, maybe your cooler isn't optimally mounted in terms of thermal paste etc. Might be worth re-mounting it if you are still worried and just check the paste, even pressure on all screws etc - but don't overtighten. Ambient temperature will make a big difference as well.

Quite honestly, if it passes the full multi-core test without any problems and your score is about right, then I wouldn't worry. If your CPU is running at sensible temperatures most of the time, then I think your behaviour is not unusual.

What score do you get? Just interested. I get about 26,000 points with a 12900K.
Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3501, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
Cinebench is a very CPU intensive test of course. When I run it, my CPU jumps to mid 80s immediately and then climbs closer to 90C during the test. It all depends on your cooler, thermal contact etc etc. I have a 360mm cooler, so there will be more fluid circulating and therefore more capacity to manage the heat. In addition, maybe your cooler isn't optimally mounted in terms of thermal paste etc. Might be worth re-mounting it if you are still worried and just check the paste, even pressure on all screws etc - but don't overtighten. Ambient temperature will make a big difference as well.

Quite honestly, if it passes the full multi-core test without any problems and your score is about right, then I wouldn't worry. If your CPU is running at sensible temperatures most of the time, then I think your behaviour is not unusual.

What score do you get? Just interested. I get about 26,000 points with a 12900K.


I will definitely consider a 360mm cooler, but I'm not sure that it will be enough because I saw some review showing very little difference between 240 and 360.
In the following exemple, Corsair H150i (360) has almost the same performance than my cooler during "typical load performance" tests.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cooler-master-masterliquid-pl240-flux-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler/7.htm...

Cinebench rating is around 23-24K but I stop the test after 2-3 minutes each time because I don't like seeing 100c temp and thermal throttling.

JohnAb
Level 17
OK, I have the Corsair 150i, but hard to know how it will perform with your CPU. Unless you're running the CPU hard for extended periods, then I think you're fine, but I do understand, would be nice to keep it a little cooler under high load. How does it manage in games? That's a more realistic test I think, as you will always be able to find a stress test that will max it out.
Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3501, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
How does it manage in games? That's a more realistic test I think, as you will always be able to find a stress test that will max it out.


I started worrying about CPU temperature when I saw a 88c max after a normal gaming session.
My build is brand new but I had 80c+ at max with some games. Don't know if it's a short peak or more durable however.

Some with similar problem report great results with undervolting, but not with B660/B760 chipset...

JohnAb
Level 17
Right, I get it. Will depend on the game, but in Call of Duty MW2 for example, my CPU hovers around 50C and to be honest that's pretty much the only 'demanding' game that I play although it's more GPU than CPU intensive I think.

You could easily install something like HWInfo and then use the graphing function to record the CPU temperature while you are playing. If you have a 2nd monitor then you can keep an eye on the CPU while you play, but otherwise just stretch out the graph so you get a nice long recording window. At least you would have some more information about the time/temperature profile.
Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3501, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

NickA
Level 8
Tried disabling MCE? It's tough to tame these when they are unlocked but 80+ while gaming is excessive.

NickA wrote:
Tried disabling MCE? It's tough to tame these when they are unlocked but 80+ while gaming is excessive.


I don't have MCE. It seems to be AEP now (Asus Enhanced Performance 3.0, capture below).
While disabled, temp goes 100c even faster because CPU get 1.4V and more. In this configuration, I can hit 100c wih CPU-Z stress test.
While enabled, CPU get 1.34V max and temp raises slower to 95c (still CPU-Z stress test).

I tried the option to maintain temp under 90c and results are quite interesting.
Temp is effectively around 90c and performance is acceptable (Cinebench rating is around 22K instead of 23-24K).

I think I will go this way (and check cooler/thermal paste asap).

Thank you all for your advice.

kassleu wrote:
I don't have MCE. It seems to be AEP now (Asus Enhanced Performance 3.0, capture below).
While disabled, temp goes 100c even faster because CPU get 1.4V and more. In this configuration, I can hit 100c wih CPU-Z stress test.
While enabled, CPU get 1.34V max and temp raises slower to 95c (still CPU-Z stress test).

I tried the option to maintain temp under 90c and results are quite interesting.
Temp is effectively around 90c and performance is acceptable (Cinebench rating is around 22K instead of 23-24K).

I think I will go this way (and check cooler/thermal paste asap).

Thank you all for your advice.


No worries. You may want to consider one of the contact frame options on the market, this can shave a few degrees off the temperature.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
80c+ core temps in games is quite excessive. Cinebench is a high current workload, so thermal throttling isn't that uncommon depending on the UEFI settings.

Check the cooler for proper contact and even mounting pressure before doing too much troubleshooting.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090