cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM - Why HDR looks bad

Canaan
Level 9

Hello!

I allow myself to create a conversation here to reference issues encountered with the HDR mode by users of the ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM. Mainly the following: unnatural skin color (exaggerated yellowish/greenish tint), overall HDR color reproduction looks unnatural, bright and flat, the rendering lacks sharpness and appears lower res, banding effect for dark shades.
Can Asus fix HDR mode? Its rendering is still very bad even with MCM104 installed.

Here are some pictures that show how bad it is:

https://imgur.com/a/bp2ZNL8

https://imgur.com/a/m3GBkxc

https://imgur.com/a/q0VmY3u

https://imgur.com/a/tmn3slt

https://imgur.com/a/b1cQKxQ

Happens regardless of the HDR preset (Gaming, Cinema and Console), Color temp. (6500K and 8200K), of the device (PC, PS5) and output used (DisplayPort, HDMI).
This monitor needs a big update to fix the overall HDR experience. It's a shame for that price.

The problem is there since the MCM102 version and nothing has been done to really improve the HDR mode except increasing the saturation to try to hide the misery.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
90 REPLIES 90

There is a complete disconnect between ASUS and their customers. They forgot that the thing that made them an S tier brand was their customer service. The only way for us to remind them is by not buying their products and keeping others informed about their poor support and bad care for customers.

berozzscorpion
Level 8

I noticed this issue aswell i do hope that asus fixes this it cant be that asus features such poor support for new costumers i do hope that this gets fixed on an new firmware along with the infinite pixel cleaning loop when turning off while the pc is shutting down.

Looks like ASUS delivered, MCM105 was released. 

“Optimize HDR skin color tone mapping”

Well... first impression, MCM105 works for me. Faces now are not blown out in HDR mode. Colors are definitely more natural. Still in the vibrant side, and maybe a bit on the cool side compared to my Asus Zenbook's OLED screen, but fair enough for me. Satisfied. Thank you ASUS.

Can somebody tell me why the Windows HDR Calibration app gives brightness values well higher than this monitor specs (while moving the slider to hide the grey blocks)? The blocks disappear in white at about 1850 "nits" in the slider, which is obviously not true physically. 

You are probably using the fake HDR1000 mode of the PG27AQDM, which is using a color temperature of 8200K. Try adjusting your color temperature to 6500K through the monitor‘s OSD and you should notice a huge improvement in color accuracy. 8200K is way too cool and produces a blue hue. My monitor clips at about 880-890 nits in the Windows HDR Calibration Tool.

Regarding the new firmware:

MCM105 is definitely a huge improvement over all the other official firmwares, but it is still not perfect in my eyes. Colors still feel a bit off in HDR, but the color yellow now at least looks normal and not like mustard.
Maybe someone with a Colorimeter can check it for us? 😅

I will also test the auto pixel cleaning feature and see, if the monitor now starts the process after shutting down the computer/console. 

No, I'm running in 6500K in HDR. I feel it a tiny bit cool compared to my other ASUS OLED. But totally acceptable anyway, much much better than the yellow-saturated mess that was MCM104. SDR looks perfect to me as was in the previous releases.

Hi, regarding your concerns about the brightness values ​​I advise you to put the screen on "Console HDR". This mode use HGiG and allows you to have the correct values, moreover if the game is HGiG compatible the optimal parameters are automatically applied.

Thanks I will try the HDR Console mode to see if the "nits" match. I had no idea what those HDR modes did, I noticed no changes when tweaking them when watching movies/games in HDR, except maybe some very rare and slight highlight difference. 

I tried that, and indeed, when I use Console HDR mode, the Windows Calibration tool peaks out at about 850 nits. I have no idea what the other modes are doing, but in Gaming HDR mode you have to move the slider all the way up to 1850-ish to clip.

Canaan
Level 9

As some of you have already said, the MCM105 firmware is now available to download via the official website. I took the opportunity to make a (very) short comparison which speaks for itself.

https://imgur.com/a/aFLiTl6

The skin color issue in HDR mode that I reported a few months ago is now fixed. I played for an hour with HDR mode and I can confirm that the overall result is now better.
The wait was long especially given the state of HDR mode at release. I appreciate seeing that Asus didn't abandon us in the end but I would still have liked a more transparent method of communication. The firmware released in ninja mode and no one knew if it was in development until now it's available.

Anyway, while HDR mode can still improve over time the main problem mentioned here is now resolved so the thread can be closed.