cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM - Why HDR looks bad

Canaan
Level 9

Hello!

I allow myself to create a conversation here to reference issues encountered with the HDR mode by users of the ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM. Mainly the following: unnatural skin color (exaggerated yellowish/greenish tint), overall HDR color reproduction looks unnatural, bright and flat, the rendering lacks sharpness and appears lower res, banding effect for dark shades.
Can Asus fix HDR mode? Its rendering is still very bad even with MCM104 installed.

Here are some pictures that show how bad it is:

https://imgur.com/a/bp2ZNL8

https://imgur.com/a/m3GBkxc

https://imgur.com/a/q0VmY3u

https://imgur.com/a/tmn3slt

https://imgur.com/a/b1cQKxQ

Happens regardless of the HDR preset (Gaming, Cinema and Console), Color temp. (6500K and 8200K), of the device (PC, PS5) and output used (DisplayPort, HDMI).
This monitor needs a big update to fix the overall HDR experience. It's a shame for that price.

The problem is there since the MCM102 version and nothing has been done to really improve the HDR mode except increasing the saturation to try to hide the misery.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
90 REPLIES 90

GroundReaper04
Level 8

Any updates on this issue? Is there a release window for firmware MCM105? It has been over 4 months now ASUS. HDR looks like an absolute joke against my AW3423DWF OLED.

Small highlights do not get bright and the colors orange/yellow look extremely inaccurate. It reminds me of mustard and almost looks like my 20 year old TN TFT from 2003. There should be no competition between TN and OLED in terms of color accuracy.

It cannot be the fault of the WOLED panel because my LG CX has no problems at all displaying the colors yellow and orange. This problem can also be observed in SDR with the PG27AQDM, but the effect is minimal. This problem can also be observed on a PS5, which is connected over HDMI. Any update on this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

Scar
Level 9

I hope that asus will finally fix these issues everyone is still waiting for an new firmware to drop that fjxes hdr and other issues i feel like asus abondoned this panel wich is really sad.

Aureliannn_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Scar ,

upon confirmation with the relevant department, it has been established that multiple firmware versions have been released for the PG27AQDM to adjust HDR settings. 

If you find that the colors appear overly saturated with the 104 version, we kindly suggest rolling back to the previous version to see if it resolves the issue of excessive color saturation. 

Thank you for your understanding.

ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM | Gaming monitors|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)

Did the relevant department have news about the next firmware? This post already points out the firmware problem from 102 to 104; we would love to see any news about it from the relevant department.

Hi there and thanks for a reply, the HDR issue mentioned in this thread has nothing to do with oversaturated colors. I tried 102, 103 and 104 and can confirm that the color reproduction is completely broken in HDR. The colors yellow, orange and red have severe problems and inaccuracies, which results in a very ugly image. Especially the color yellow is not looking like yellow, but more like mustard. I know how proper HDR looks on an OLED (LG CX and AW3423DWF) and this is not even close and even looks 10x worse than the SDR mode of the PG27AQDM. I would really like to use the HDR mode of my PG27AQDM because that is one of the key features of an OLED panel. 😞

Hi, I have tried to roll back to MCM103 but still HDR mode has too saturated colors (weirdly tinted faces and highlights). No difference that I can see between MCM103 and the factory MCM104 that came with my PG27ADQM. I don't find anywhere to download the previous MCM102 firmware to try it out. I'm also wary of rolling back much further just in case the latest firmware also fixed any other issue that I'm not aware of.

Dangel7
Level 8

How many more users will have to step forward and complain about this issue till you decide to update that firmware, why it is on such low priority? 

kindly take an immediate action, this monitor is not cheap. I advise to hire a colorist and a professional color calibrator and fix it once and for all because 1st it is possible and 2nd it is the responsible thing to do.

thetanaz
Level 7

I am appalled by the lack of response to this very serious issue. Nobody at ASUS seems to care about their FLAGSHIP customers. If this is the support we get on a 1000$ monitor imagine what it would be like when you trickle down to cheaper products. Absolutely disgusted and never purchasing any ASUS product ever again.

Canaan
Level 9

It's been 6 months since MCM104 firmware was released and the creation of this thread. At the moment, no new firmware or any relevant information regarding a possible HDR mode fix has been provided by Asus.

I sincerely doubt the situation will change in the future. I have long understood that this monitor is probably going to remain in this state so there is no point in responding to my message. I just want to warn people to avoid making the same mistake as me, being fooled by Asus' marketing and the so-called "review" of YouTubers. Never pre-order and always check reviews from customers who commonly use these productsbefore buying.

VoltKraken
Level 7

I got this monitor yesterday.  I was not aware of the greenish tint before buying.  I can't stand the green tint, it looks bad on skin but also in the game subnautica.  Since it seems this has been a problem for a long time and no fix has been made, I am going to return the monitor because I know I will be irritated by it.  I will wait for the Alienware or MSI 4k 240hz qd-oled monitors (skipping Asus ROG due to lack of support for their products and no burn in warranty)