cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG48UQ firmware v29 awful HDR

Doctor_Headlock
Level 9

Posting this here as well as in the PG/XG series monitors forum, just in case one is the wrong area

I saw earlier today that there was a new firmware available for the PG48UQ addressing supposed HDR issues, but upon updating the HDR now looks worse than ever. I was unaware of any HDR issues with the existing firmware, only the problems with screen flickering, sometimes it won't wake from sleep and brightness flickering when g-sync is enabled. Now HDR content is completely washed out, dark areas are too bright, the screen turns grey when an all black screen is displayed, shades of blue are now grey, and everything is just completely wrong. Anyone else want to weigh in?

27 REPLIES 27

shikk
Level 7

OMG......ASUS, this thread just saved you a return.  So glad I found it, I've been reading up on this for a few days and this was burried in search results pointing to a lot of stuff that didn't work.  I was really disappointed and ready to return my monitor.  I was gaslighting and trying to convince myself it was a windows HDR issue or the content was just poorly mastered, or I didn't know how to properly calibrate.  I purchased my monitor and immediately did the FW update to V29 so I never really got to see it with what it shipped with.

This is absolutely a firmware issue, and downgrading to V28 after doing nothing else fixed everything.  I had tried everything I could on V29, using different color profiles, using the MS HDR calibration app, tweaking nvidia individual color settings, tried reshaders, even tried creating my own backgrounds to try to fix the horrible grey to black stepping and color banding thinking it was just bad content.  To make it even look remotely passable I had to change brightness/contrast/gamma for different content.  I could never get it to calibrate quite right across the board on all colors at the same time, soI had to choose hiding the banding or having certain colors washed out.

It seems pretty obvious that with V29 the monitor was not handling HDR colors and gradients properly.  Windows UI looked irradiated, colors were all off and I have a 32" LCD with HDR right next to it to compare.  I had to do a lot of tweaking to get individual colors looking remotely close but it always messed with the greys and blacks too.  Anything with a light glow on top of a pure black looked like a blocky blotched mess.  Dark scenes in movies looked like nuclear waste, just melted hard bands of black or grey with splotches of color, etc.  I was too disgusted and embarrassed by it to take a picture before trying the downgrade, never even occurred to me that was the issue.  V28 doesn't look as vibrant, but I'll take this any day.  Will see if I can dial it in.

Thank you OP for post, and others for chiming in about the downgrade.  Long time and happy Asus user, a little shocked "choose a different firmware that suits you" is a recommendation.  There was no way the image I was getting out of v29 would have been acceptable to ANYBODY.  Details if it helps:

PG48UQ
GTX 4090 - w/ gsync windowed & fullscreen mode; tried 60,120, and 138hz
DP (using the cable it came with)

Marcinprv
Level 9

I can bet again (not for money this time) that ASUS won't apologize to its £1,500-paying customers for serving them such great firmware - because they have us deep inside ***.

UPDATE
It is unacceptable that the faulty V29 firmware is still available for download on the PG48UQ website!
nDXjJJg

MB: ASUS P9X79 Pro (4801 NVMe Mod)
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz (1.36V)
Cooler: Liquid Freezer II 280
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Quad-DDR3 2400MHz CL10
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1500W
GFX: ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 Ti OC @ 3000/12250MHz
SSD: Samsung SSD 990 Pro 4TB
SSD: Samsung 870 QVO 8TB
HDD: Seagate ST18000NM000J-2TS 18TB
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ
Logitech: G900 , G915, G27, Z906, G51, Brio, other...

Kobaturtle
Level 8

Still no news from support? And V29 broken firmware still online...

konahamaru
Level 10

It’s insane, paid $1500 for this monitor and they release clearly untested and completely broken firmware and months later it still not fixed. Industry leader my a**

Lowfategg
Level 8

ASUS, wtf.  This monitor has had firmware issues after firmware issues.  First it would turn off after 4 hours and now HDR is completely broken.  Fix your stuff!!!!

I have same issue on V29, back to V28 I go....

konahamaru
Level 10

Ya this is absolutely unacceptable we paid $1500 for this monitor and they have put zero work into fixing the drivers. How can they get away with this they’ve essentially sold us a faulty product that does not work as advertised, we should get our money back.

what is crazy to me is how they could even release these latest drivers? It utterly breaks the monitor, did they not test the drivers at ALL before putting this out???

I say we start a petition demanding recompense for our loss, they should refund our purchase or let us trade it in for a different monitor in their lineup of similar value or something.

The only thing that will get these scumbags to work is a class action lawsuit 😡

MB: ASUS P9X79 Pro (4801 NVMe Mod)
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz (1.36V)
Cooler: Liquid Freezer II 280
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Quad-DDR3 2400MHz CL10
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1500W
GFX: ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 Ti OC @ 3000/12250MHz
SSD: Samsung SSD 990 Pro 4TB
SSD: Samsung 870 QVO 8TB
HDD: Seagate ST18000NM000J-2TS 18TB
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ
Logitech: G900 , G915, G27, Z906, G51, Brio, other...

konahamaru
Level 10

I'm down, anyone willing to contact a lawyer?