cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG42UQ very slow to wake from sleep.

axiumone
Level 11
Firmware is V031. With either a win 11 pc connected through HDMI or a macbook connected through DP, it takes an average of 30 seconds for the display to wake up and start responding if the host machine puts the display to sleep. To be clear, the OS itself is running, and the machine is not in a sleep state, just the display is in a sleep state.

Is there anything that can be done about this? It's a pretty terrible user experience, because it feels like maybe the machine froze or crashed and it's not clear that it's just the display thats not responding.
76 REPLIES 76

axiumone wrote:
Hello, Asus? Anybody home?

New Firmware was released today:
Versjon V032 - 2022/10/13 2.55 MBytes
1. Fix 138hz wakeup issue.
2. HDR optimization.

Will try it after watching the latest thor movie 🙂

arnvid wrote:
New Firmware was released today:
Versjon V032 - 2022/10/13 2.55 MBytes
1. Fix 138hz wakeup issue.
2. HDR optimization.

Will try it after watching the latest thor movie 🙂

Thanks! Flashed. Seems better after a couple of hours!

axiumone wrote:
Thanks! Flashed. Seems better after a couple of hours!

Flashed, updated - and rebooted a few times. First boot was magic... but 3rd and 4th so far was faster than before but not perfect yet..

axiumone
Level 11
There's something very wrong with firmware V032. Today the screen woke up with the overclock turned off again and I immediately noticed that there's screen retention visible on a gray background! The retention is getting worse every time I open a new window and switch back to the gray background.

There's some kind of a light blotch on the screen that looks like a smudge, but it's just some weird discoloration. I'm very unhappy with what's happening with this display so far.

Shanester
Level 10
Looks like ASUS has pulled V032. Back to V031 with an update of a release sometime in November. I'm returning mine to Amazon.

arnvid
Level 7
Guess it was fun while it lasted.. this is the state of my login screen now.. all blue is gone.. looks a bit like there is some red and green left here and there..

Update: I took a chance to downgrade to the V031 currently availble for download and subsequently factory reset the screen. Now the colors are back. Also running at 120Hz and not 138Hz as it seems the firmware has some issues at 138 Hz.

phatmonkey
Level 9
The latest bios bricked mine, a new one has come today but I wont be doing any updates lol
Windows 11 | Rog Maximus Z690 Hero | i9-14900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz 64GB | MSI 4090 SUPRIM X | Apollo x16 | Quantum 2626 | ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ | H150i RGB Pro XT | AX1200i | Dark Core Pro SE | K100 RGB

phatmonkey wrote:
The latest bios bricked mine, a new one has come today but I wont be doing any updates lol

Would you mind putting up a link to it? I don't see it in the US or UK support page for the monitor.

axiumone wrote:
Would you mind putting up a link to it? I don't see it in the US or UK support page for the monitor.

The latest bios was pulled from the page - it was V032. Do NOT update to it. The current V031 is good if you keep your monitor at 120Hz.. at 138Hz there is "wake from sleep issues".