cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG42UQ strange problems black screen/freeze screen randomly

tuanny87
Level 7
on firmware .31 got random black screen in the middle of game will not turn back on until i unplug power and replug. also had a random screen freeze in the middle of a game. and could not turn off or anything until i unpled. this all happen on overlock off @ 120 mhz since 138 mhz would not even wake up the screen sometimes when it goes to sleep.
also my rog logo randomly turned green looked in the manual but didnt see anything anout green logo not sure what does that mean?
hope they fix all these problem on the next firmware update or will have to return this monitor.
142 REPLIES 142

Hi @AustinT

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I have read it, I just found this thread a few days ago.
I'm testing right now...we'll see how it goes.
Yes I am 2 also very exhausted about this.

Thanks again for your reply.

CoffeeAndTea
Level 9

I have owned this monitor for a grand total of four days, and I've already encountered this issue twice. Worryingly, today it happened within minutes of starting up, which doesn't align with the four-hour timer that other users are reporting. The display will black out, randomly and without warning, and remain unresponsive for ~5 minutes. During this time, it will not respond to input via the remote or the control stick. After the duration it will wake up and return to functionality.

Edit: Since I started using it, I have never seen a message from the monitor about requiring a pixel clean. I don't know if that is useful context.

I'm on firmware v032 (this version was installed when I received it) and the model is PG42UQ.

• GPU: 4070 TI
  • GPU driver version: 31.0.15.3168
  • Cable: Maxonar DisplayPort Cable 1.4 [VESA Certified] 2 metres
  • Refresh rate: 138Hz (overclock enabled)
  • G-Sync: enabled
  • Shadow boost: disabled
  • Power setting: standard
  • Screen saver: off
  • Screen move: middle (although I have never noticed it do anything)
  • Adjust logo brightness: off
  • DSC support: on
  • HMDI CEC: on
  • Scenario: Can happen at any time.

It is a lovely display but this isn't even the only issue I've encountered, just the most severe. As such I think I will probably have to return it.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @CoffeeAndTea 

Thank you for providing clarification regarding the model and firmware version.
Although the title mentions PG42UQ, the four-hour blackout information provided is from PG48UQ users.
Based on the information you provided, please help confirm the following questions:

• Do you experience the black screen issue in specific scenarios or under certain conditions?
  • Are you using HDMI or DP for the connection? Do both connection methods exhibit the same issue?
  • Does the issue occur when the monitor is connected to the graphics card? Have you tried cross-testing with other signal sources?
  • Does the screen automatically recover after approximately 5 minutes? Does unplugging and reconnecting the monitor's power cord help resolve the issue?

If possible, please assist by recording a comprehensive video documenting the situation and the troubleshooting steps you have attempted to address it.

Thank you.

• Do you experience the black screen issue in specific scenarios or under certain conditions?
  • No, the issue has happened in a variety of scenarios and conditions.
  • Are you using HDMI or DP for the connection? Do both connection methods exhibit the same issue?
  • I am using Display Port.
  • Does the issue occur when the monitor is connected to the graphics card?
  • Yes.
  • Have you tried cross-testing with other signal sources?
  • No.
  • Does the screen automatically recover after approximately 5 minutes?
  • Yes.
  • Does unplugging and reconnecting the monitor's power cord help resolve the issue?
  • I have not tried this, due to concern that it might damage the display.
  • If possible, please assist by recording a comprehensive video documenting the situation and the troubleshooting steps you have attempted to address it.
  • This isn't possible as there isn't a specific circumstance under which I can expect it to occur. The troubleshooting I have attempted is to update the firmware from v032 to v033 but the issue persists.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @CoffeeAndTea 

Could you please help confirm, based on the current experiences you have encountered, what are the scenarios or situations in which the sudden black screen, lack of indicator lights, and unresponsiveness for 6 minutes occur?
After the 6-minute period, does the screen automatically turn on and resume normal operation?
If the screen is black and without indicator lights, does pressing the power button to shut down and restart the screen yield any response?
Furthermore, please perform a cross-test using an HDMI connection or refer to [LCD Monitor]Troubleshooting - 4. Monitor Reset and reset the settings to see if the problem still persists.

Thank you.

Circumstances under which this occurs:

• Any general usage (internet browsing, productivity) on Windows 11

I can confirm that the issue persists on firmware v037 using DisplayPort 1.4. This occurred today, approximately 4 hours after booting the PC: screen suddenly went black, became unresponsive to all input, and this lasted around 5-6 minutes. All other settings were the same as in my previous posts.

I have now switched the cable from DP to the HDMI cable included with the monitor. I will let you know if I the problem occurs again.

I have encountered the problem again today, but this time using an HDMI cable. Approximately 4 hours after booting the PC, screen went black again, and was unresponsive to all input, for about 5-6 minutes.

CoffeeAndTea
Level 9

I upgraded to firmware v033 last night to see if it would fix the issue. But it occurred again this morning, appromixately three hours after turning on the computer. Same problem, monitor went black and became completely unresponsive (to remote or control stick) for approximately 6 minutes (11:47 to 11:53). No flashing or sustatined light on the front LED.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, all the PG48UQ user who might suffer with the monitor being unable to wake up for four hours.

We have released a new firmware version, V028, to solve this problem.
Please download the update file and follow the SOP within to update and confirm further, and feel free to comment again or PM me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Hi, my issue is my PG48UQ seemingly about every 4 hours or so turn black and have the asus rog emblem be red and be unresponsive to any input. This includes turning it off with the remote. Then after approximately 5-6minutes it will become response and allow me to turn it off and back on, then it will be fine. Should I download this firmware update for that? Or is that a separate issue?