cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG42UQ strange problems black screen/freeze screen randomly

tuanny87
Level 7
on firmware .31 got random black screen in the middle of game will not turn back on until i unplug power and replug. also had a random screen freeze in the middle of a game. and could not turn off or anything until i unpled. this all happen on overlock off @ 120 mhz since 138 mhz would not even wake up the screen sometimes when it goes to sleep.
also my rog logo randomly turned green looked in the manual but didnt see anything anout green logo not sure what does that mean?
hope they fix all these problem on the next firmware update or will have to return this monitor.
142 REPLIES 142

It doesn't change color nor begins blinking during the issue. It does when the automatic pixel cleaning (or manual pixel cleaning) begins as it starts blinking orange and then goes solid orange.

Which is why we had thought it unlikely that it was somehow forcing a pixel cleaning, but likely somehow related to it or the notification suggesting to perform it, as that is related to a 4 hour delay period.

At least Jiaszzz finally responded; albeit, just saying the exact same thing they said over a week ago...

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi All,

Currently, the relevant department is conducting further investigation on this problem.
I will update here as soon as there is a response.

Thank you.

TE
Level 8

All this monitors have this same problem?

This is an unacceptable!

A week and only silence?
What's going on, ASUS?

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @TE .

May I ask if you have also encountered a similar problem with the PG48UQ monitor?
Could you please provide details about the specific connection method and the circumstances in which the problem occurs?
Are the troubleshooting methods mentioned in previous comments applicable to your situation?
The appropriate department is actively working on a further investigation in relation to the issue that was previously noted.
If there are any updates, I will promptly inform via an update comment in this thread.

Thank you.

Yes , same problem.

First I used the displayport cable that came with the monitor connected to a RTX3090 ROG Strix.

I was then recommended via asus techsupport to try a hdmi 2.1 cable because they suspected a bandwidth problem.  

But the problem remained,  it helped me alot to shut the monitor off when I wasn't using it with the remote though. But if I forgot the screen goes black and none responsive after a while, haven't clocked the time of it's occurrence though.  

Hi Jiaszz_ROG

Thanks for your reply.

PG48UQ
I have tested everything.
2 Computers....win 7 Pro and a newly installed win 11.
Asus Strix 4090
2 HDMI and 2 DP. ( + ASUS cables )
Heat or cold, games or web surfing doesn't matter.

The monitor has been shutting down since day one.
Turns off almost every day - 5/7 days a week.
Turns off after about 4 to 6 hours use for 5 to 15 min, is completely dead no menus or remote works.

Thank you.

If all units of the pg42uq,pg48uq is affected I can't say, I do not know the amount of sold units contra the noise of consumers complaining about the matter. 

I confirm that turn off the monitor helps a lot but randomly i am seeing randomly black screens of about ten seconds and randomly reboots. 

But i confirm that now is an episode every 2/3 days and if i dont turn off the video is a disaster

Thank you CuRSeDGaMInG for your response.

Hi @TE ,

Not sure if you read previous pages in this thread; but we figured out exactly how and when the issue will occur and therefore have a temporary annoying solution to the issue. Please read those posts for more details, but essentially, monitor on & input off > input on > 4 hours > issue. Happens everytime. So just never let that occur and it won't happen...

We're just waiting... and waiting... and waiting for ASUS to at the very least acknowledge their firmware bug and then hopefully fix it.

I don't know how long ago their support suggested a different cable to @CuRSeDGaMInG to use, but it sounds like they're still not communicating the issue internally between groups and either their support doesn't know about it or is being told to not mention it. 

I question if they have even tried to reproduce it themselves yet.

Yes, I have become jaded from this experience...