cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burn-in issue on ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM after only one month

Astold
Level 8

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to seek help regarding an issue I've encountered with my monitor.

Up until now, I've primarily used the monitor for gaming with my console, with no PC usage. I only power it on during the weekends for sessions of about 3-4 hours, while it remains off during the rest of the week.

I've been using the monitor since mid-March, and everything was fine until the first week of April. However, the following Saturday, when I turned on the monitor again, I was greeted with a faded image (see image 1), and while navigating through the various screens, I noticed the persistence of the main screen image (images 2 and 3). Additionally, upon turning on the monitor, the pixel cleaning reminder message appeared (which I've set to every eight hours). Fortunately, after performing the cleaning, the burn-in phenomenon disappeared (images 4 and 5).

I've never left the screen on with a static image, and I've always kept all the monitor protection settings active: screen saver, screen move, and adjust logo brightness.

However, this problem recurs every Saturday when I turn on the monitor, and I'm forced to perform the pixel cleaning again. I can't understand how this is possible; it's as if I've left the monitor on for 5 consecutive days with the same fixed screen. Even after just two days of non-usage, the problem reoccurs.

I've already contacted customer support, but they've only redirected me to the FAQ page without providing further assistance. I simply want to understand the possible cause of this problem, as I don't believe I'm misusing the product.

I've noticed a potential correlation with the HDMI cable. For the first three weeks, I kept it disconnected for other uses, only reconnecting it during the weekend. After that period, I've kept the cable connected. The coincidence is that the burn-in appeared right after leaving the cable always connected. Additionally, during the first few weeks, the pixel cleaning message never appeared upon startup, whereas since I've had the cable connected, it appears every time I turn on the monitor, as if 8 hours of consecutive activity have already passed.

So, I'm wondering if I'm correctly turning off the monitor. Is pressing the power button enough, or is it also necessary to unplug the power cord?

Another thing that isn't clear to me is the LED illumination on both the back and under the base of the monitor, and I don't understand why this remains active even when I turn off the monitor. It doesn't make much sense; I had to disable it from the settings.

I appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Thank you in advance.

1 Before pixel cleaning1 Before pixel cleaning

2 Before pixel cleaning2 Before pixel cleaning

3 Before pixel cleaning3 Before pixel cleaning

4 After pixel cleaning4 After pixel cleaning

5 After pixel cleaning5 After pixel cleaning

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Sorry for the delay!

I finally have some updates regarding my issue. The support team, after checking the monitor, did indeed find burn-in and replaced the monitor with a refurbished one. They told me that the burn-in was due to a hardware problem with the screen.

I have been using the new monitor for over a week now and so far, I haven't had any issues; the burn-in hasn't reappeared. In the end, the problem wasn't caused by the Xbox but by a manufacturing defect.

It was an unfortunate case and, unfortunately, it happened to me, but the important thing is that everything is working well now and I can finally enjoy the monitor!

Thank you all for the help you gave me!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nate152

Hello Astold

It's good to hear pixel cleaning fixes the issue.

I been using mine since the beginning of January and haven't experienced any burn in.

I wonder if it could be something specific with the HDMI cable, have you tried using a displayport cable? This is what I'm using.

You could update the firmware to version MCM105 and see if this helps stop the burn in.

ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (asus.com)

Hi Nate,

Unfortunately, my console doesn't have a DisplayPort and I don't have a PC, so I can't try this alternative.

I already updated the firmware to the latest version as soon as I set up the monitor, so I don't think that's the issue.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Nate152

You're welcome

I'm not sure if it's the HDMI cable, it could be the console itself.

Since you do get signs of burn in, it would be a good idea to run pixel cleaning often.

You can set the pixel cleaning reminder from 2,4,8 hours.

Hi,

In these days, I've been conducting some tests. Instead of just turning off the monitor, I also unplugged the power cable, waited for 4 days, and then turned it back on. This time, the problem wasn't there; no burn-in. Colors were fine, no image persistence, no pixel cleaning reminder message.

This further convinces me that there's an issue with turning off the monitor. In fact, if I disconnect the HDMI or unplug the power, the burn-in doesn't occur. However, if I only turn it off using the power button, it does occur. It's as if even when it's off, the video signal still passes through and remains in the background, burning my pixels (even though they're off ┐( ̄_ ̄)┌).

There's just one last thing left for me to verify. Up until now, I've always set the Xbox to sleep mode. Today, I'll try setting it to energy-saving mode so that it completely shuts down when I turn it off. This way, in a few days, I'll see if the burn-in reoccurs or not. Perhaps the fact that the console always remains active in the background, even without a video signal, conflicts with the monitor.

It seems strange to me since before buying the monitor, I only used the TV and never had these problems. However, given that TVs and monitors are two different devices designed for different uses, they might have different behaviors. Or maybe ASUS never intended the monitor for console use.

Nate152

All right, this sounds good.

Let us know if you still get the burn in with your xbox set to energy saving mode.

Hi,
Unfortunately, setting the Xbox in energy-saving mode didn't do anything. The issue remains. Tomorrow I'll send the monitor for repair, hopefully they'll understand what the problem is.

Aureliannn_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Astold ,

thank you for your message.

To further confirm the repair status of the monitor, please provide the product serial number and RMA number of the monitor. You can send this information via private message.

We will verify it for you as soon as possible. Thank you.

Providing detailed device specifications (MB/CPU/GPU/PSU, etc.) and the respective driver versions, OS version, and BIOS version will help us analyze the issue more effectively.

Nate152

I can't say if there is an actual problem since pixel cleaning gets rid of the burn in images. If they can test with a pc and don't get the burn in, then it would seem it's the Xbox causing it.

Give us an update on what the repair center has to say.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay!

I finally have some updates regarding my issue. The support team, after checking the monitor, did indeed find burn-in and replaced the monitor with a refurbished one. They told me that the burn-in was due to a hardware problem with the screen.

I have been using the new monitor for over a week now and so far, I haven't had any issues; the burn-in hasn't reappeared. In the end, the problem wasn't caused by the Xbox but by a manufacturing defect.

It was an unfortunate case and, unfortunately, it happened to me, but the important thing is that everything is working well now and I can finally enjoy the monitor!

Thank you all for the help you gave me!