cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG32UCDM - HDR is lackluster compared to the competetion

Owl1231
Level 7

First of all, this monitor looks and feels very premium interms of its build quality. However, one the most important aspects for an Oled is HDR and it's implementation. In the peak 1000 modes, this monitor dims way too aggresively, (yes i know abl is present on other qd oled monitors, but its not this horrendous) and there is no customization for HDR which makes it look quite washed out as I believe it clamps to the default srgb space and NOT full wide gamut.  The MSI variant has "premium color mode" preset for HDR and it literally blows this one out of the water interms of color vibrancy.  

I want to love this monitor, but it seems like this was a rushed product, and the people that purchased it are the guinea pigs. It's been weeks, and its all radio silence.

Why does the most expensive QD OLED monitor on the market have the worst HDR implementation?

21 REPLIES 21

I tend to agree. Coming from my LG c2, even though it had technically "lower" brightness, it is much brighter in actual use than the QD-Asus PG32UCDM that I currently am using. It also offered MUCH more flexibility in adjusting anything HDR related. 

Honestly, I might switch back to it or return the PG32UCDM and switch to LG's 32" W-OLED. 

If your return period allows it, wait for the RTings review, my guess is that it'll be finished this week or the next. OFC you could always return it and use a spare display if you have a second monitor.

how does your C2 Compare in a daylight scene? I'm thinking of returning my pg32ucdm but i'm not sure what i'll get instead. 

COCOLELE
Level 8

I agree with OP, i got the PG32UCDM on Thursday, coming from Samsung Neo 8 Mini Led 4k from 2022 (which has HDR 10+ support), and when I tested the HDR on the ASUS I was so disappointed in the HDR performance, I literarily returned the monitor the next day! (after trying different settings, calibrations, in-game calibrations, several games etc.). The SDR color and vibrancy was so beautiful, while HDR looked so washed out and too DIM, no colors no brightness. This is not how HDR suppose to look like, try the Samsung from 2022 and you will see colorful picture with enough brightness to make the colors pop.

Considering the comments in this forum, I might try the Gigabyte or MSI, if it turns out that this is a Asus issue. 

This is sadly not an ASUS issue, but I don't see why asus couldn't fix it unless pressured by Samsung.

I'm debating grabbing an LG C4 but i'll miss the 240hz, and that thing is actually dimmer near 50% or higher even tho that's kind of rare, it's still a concern for me

WiseOldMan
Level 7

I had a similar problem with the HDR mode. This fixed it for me! ASUS PG32UCDM Color Saturation in HDR Solved! : r/OLED_Gaming (reddit.com)

COCOLELE
Level 8

Has anyone tried the new Dolby Vision Firmware, did it improve the brightness and the aggressive ABL? 

Is the brightness still around 300-350 nits at 10% window? 

Hi @COCOLELE 

See here.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

WiseOldMan
Level 7

Nobody has replied to my comment yet. TLDR, the NVIDIA Control Panel had the saturation ("digital vibrance") set to a wrong, non-default value, and I guarantee that I didn't do that and nobody else uses my PC. It would be very interesting to know if that bug has hit anybody else.

Not something I've noticed. What do you perceive as the wrong, non-default value?

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Mine was set to 36 or 38, I forget which. The default should be 50, right in the middle. With it set to 36/38, in the wide gamut color space, it actually matched my 2nd monitor pretty closely (the color looked "right"). But then after switching to HDR, where the color space is more like sRGB, it looked quite unsaturated and I was very frustrated with it.

Now that I have digital vibrance set to 50, the color looks good in both sRGB SDR and in HDR, and wide gamut is rather oversaturated.