cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus pg27aqdm Firmware update (MCM104) causing Screen saver to activate instantly

Scar
Level 9

Hi there. So I don't know why but the new Firmware update on the ASUS pg27aqdm version MCM104 Causes the monitor to go into screen saver mode instantly even when movement is detected, the monitor will turn down its brightness no matter what. The only fix is deactivating screen saver mode, But most people wouldn't want to do to prevent image retention. Did anyone experience the same issue? With MCM 104 (also rolled back to mcm103, the issue was not there)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Scar 

After consulting with the relevant department, we have confirmed that the new firmware version of MCM104 includes an OLED protection mechanism, which enables the screen saver to be activated by default.
At the same time, you mentioned that the external brightness is lower when the screen saver is enabled, this behavior is considered normal when this feature is activated instead of a bug.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Scar .

May I ask if you have attempted to adjust the screen brightness via the OSD menu?
Was the brightness initially normal but randomly dimmed when entering the screen saver?
Please provide an image of the OSD menu settings and a recorded video that demonstrates the difference in brightness levels, and indicate the time intervals in the video where the anomaly occurs.

Thank you.

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG Thanks for replying

I tried to record the issue on video but i will have to say the difference is a bit harder to see on the camera and is more noticeable in real life.It creates an vignette type of effect wich dimms the outer parts of the monitor.

(Sorry for the bad video quality)

I first turned on the screen saver and it dimmed the outer parts creating the vignette effect i mentioned earlier afterwards i checked the brightness settings and then disabled the screensaver the brightness settings in the osd stayed the same but the vignette effect was gone.

It seems like this is an bug caused by the new firmware bc the older on did not have that issue and after rolling back to the old firmware the screen saver behaved as it normally should but the new firmware has this issue sadly wich needs be to fixed.

Video Link: https://mega.nz/file/OEdmzCrQ#4nszgZ55zRM5MLWLAnyphmFTiAyUMtr6ZDl9u1YTRQI

Canaan
Level 9

Basically (under firmware MCM103) the Screen Saver option only dims the screen when a large part of the screen was static for too long. Since the MCM104 update it still have the same function as before but in addition it adds a permanent vignette effect which dims a bit the edges of the screen as soon as it is activated. I don't know if it's a bug or additional burn-in/image retention security though. I don't think it's that bad because it can help prevent image retention that can be caused by taskbar or games which have HUD constantly displayed on screen.

I think that its an bug.But if it is an feature it should be added as an new option to choose bc i want to use the screensaver without activating this too

Canaan
Level 9

Nevermind, I think you were right it's probably a bug. I was watching a show (The Days) with a lot of scenes that displayed near-black elements on screen and having Screen Saver turned on crushed some shadow details. It's probably mainly because of the bad PQ EOTF calibration on this monitor but I think it was a bit worse with Screen Saver activated.

Maybe someone from Asus can confirm if it's intended or not.

cx-ray
Level 12

It looks like they implemented this feature from LG display:

“This monitor includes a feature called CPC (Convex Power Control) which is also found on various LG OLED TVs. This causes the screen to dim towards the edges, mainly near the corners, to reduce power consumption at the expense of uniformity. This can come into play most noticeably where bright shades dominate, including on the desktop when a lot of white space is displayed."

More info can be found here:

https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/asus-pg27aqdm-vs-lg-27gr95qe/#post-73013

I actually owned the lg one for a few days and send it back because of the low brightness and the cpc i also had an service remote and turned off cpc there but settings just wouldnt apply on the monitor and thats why i got the asus one now.The weird thing is that the sreen saver activates cpc on mcm104 wich is annoying in my opinion and should be added as an seperate option or disabled completly

Canaan
Level 9

Thank you for the clarification.

So it's due to the CPC thing, that's really interesting.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Scar 

After consulting with the relevant department, we have confirmed that the new firmware version of MCM104 includes an OLED protection mechanism, which enables the screen saver to be activated by default.
At the same time, you mentioned that the external brightness is lower when the screen saver is enabled, this behavior is considered normal when this feature is activated instead of a bug.

Thank you.