cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Spatha multitude of issues

rrrrramos
Level 7
I purchased a Spatha at the beginning of February, and while it had it's little quirks (losing wireless connection unless I unplugged and replugged the receiver, various small Armoury issues) for the most part it worked just fine and got the job done. Flash forward to today, I turned my PC on and the mouse while in wireless mode does nothing. Put it on the receiver to see if it just needed to be charged even though I'd turned it off when I shut down the PC. Nothing. Tried every method I've seen posted and some that I'd had luck with in the past to no avail. It currently works as a basic mouse with left and right click and scroll wheel, but the scrolling is now inverted. Here's what I'm experiencing, in list form:

No wireless mode.
LEDs on mouse do not illuminate.
Mouse does not charge when placed on receiver.
Will not pair wirelessly using the buttons or left click method.
Works when in wired mode.
Scroll wheel is inverted, I never made such a change.
Upon opening ROG Armoury, immediately updates firmware. Once complete, Armoury states no ROG devices connected.

I've tried multiple methods to remedy this, including uninstalling and reinstalling drivers & software, testing on a different device (problem persisted), and the usual simple fix of unplugging the receiver and plugging it back in. I'm at a loss right now for what it could be. This mouse is only 2 months old and cost $150, I shouldn't be having these kinds of problems with it. The kicker is that I'm stuck using my old mouse right now, a 6 year old "other brand" gaming mouse that cost me $30.
Can any body help me figure this out??
21 REPLIES 21

This is the software version I updated to.

Clicking once registers as twice sometimes.

I've upgraded Armoury to Version 1.02.07 using a download link posted just recently in the forums.

Still have the double click issue. I will try swapping out the switches to see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Lost the hex key so I won't be able to swap the switches till I buy the hex bit that fits the screws.

Sohan24 wrote:
I've upgraded Armoury to Version 1.02.07 using a download link posted just recently in the forums.

Still have the double click issue. I will try swapping out the switches to see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Lost the hex key so I won't be able to swap the switches till I buy the hex bit that fits the screws.

Double clicking issue should be hardware related, my Spatha that I'm using right now has never had any double clicking issue.

I replaced both switches. Double click issue never resurfaced.
Suffice to say, the left side D2F-01F switch (I had swapped the original 20M switches for these when I first got the mouse) had failed.
Could have been the result of me dropping the mouse when I went to plug it in to upgrade the firmware.
I bought a couple spares on eBay for when the replacements go bad (hopefully they last at least 4 years).

Thank you for your input Bahz. 🙂

Sohan24 wrote:
I replaced both switches. Double click issue never resurfaced.
Suffice to say, the left side D2F-01F switch (I had swapped the original 20M switches for these when I first got the mouse) had failed.
Could have been the result of me dropping the mouse when I went to plug it in to upgrade the firmware.
I bought a couple spares on eBay for when the replacements go bad (hopefully they last at least 4 years).

Thank you for your input Bahz. 🙂

Glad to hear that the issue is fixed for you 😄

So my Claymore came in today (After waiting for 9 months! I had forgotten about the whole thing) and when getting it ready I noticed that there was a new version on the Armoury software itself that I didn't have. I have it run on start-up but apparently there is no prompt for updating the software itself. So, I download it, but can't install it. It just gives me an error saying "Catastrophic failure". I go on to try and uninstall the version I already have. Same thing. Catastrophic failure. I end up downloading a popular uninstall software, (nothing revoLusionary) and having it forcefully removed from my computer. A few reboots later I finally get ROG Armoury to work again on the new version. Not that I really know how I got it working.

Now my Claymore is updating fine and working properly, but the mouse bugs out again spamming me with firmware updates and all the same issues as before.
I ended up doing the exact same thing this time. Just switched out the USB ports I use and reinstalled the firmware. Done.

I'm sorry about this little diary post. But I thought it important to write down somewhere that the fix seems consistent.

Anyway, carry on.

- Currently running FWv 1.67 and SWv 1.02.17 on the Spatha. 80% FWv 1.07.01 and Keypad FWv 1.03.00 on the Claymore

1. Mouse connecting is loose right out of the box, can't put wire in too far or not far enough. (light come on for a second when i got close to getting it.)
2. Windows 10 was picking mouse as just (Gaming mouse) and not as (ROG Spatha).
3. Aura sync was not picking up mouse.
4. Armoury was not even picking up mouse sometime. (but this could have been when windows 10 was not picking it as a gaming mouse only, can't remember, wasn't even looking i guess.)
5. Even at times it told me the usb was using too much power to work.

How i fixed this, first i can live with the bad mouse connecting, i use it for wireless only and another mouse for gaming anyways. It does work, but i hate playing with it.
While start with uninstalling everything, even Aura sync software. remove hardware and devices. then shutdown the pc and start it up again. Now first make sure to plugging in the mouse, but the mouse power switch is turned off. Now check window devices, and make sure your mouse shows up as ROG Spatha, i guess you can plugging in the ROG Receiver too(why not).
After devices show up good, install firmware and Armoury, might have to do this first if your devices don't show up right. You might even have to disable windows updates, when doing all this, i did. As for installing the receiver firmware, you may need to unplug the mouse and turn the mouse power switch on.

After you get the mouse and receiver working , now the Aura sync problem, installing Aura sync, but as you can see, your mouse might not show up, to fix this, after installing the software, i just shutdown the pc and turn it back on, then it show up. I got it all working fine, the MB,GPU,keyboard and mouse all in sync.

Here is my finished Asus ROG Build, but i need to take some newer pic here soon, https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/DGP323

Bahz
Level 12
Thanks for reporting this, I'll pass this over to our team to look into.

Korth
Level 14
The ROG Spatha gaming mouse contains a rechargeable 1000mAh battery. The same 3.7V li-ion or li-poly battery technology used in smartphones, laptops, and mobile devices.

It will gradually decay each time it's charged or discharged, the anode/cathode degrades or the electrolyte(s) saturate or some other irreversible chemical erosion/corrosion takes place over time, it eventually won't hold a useful charge, it'll output lower voltage and lower current and greater heat for shorter and shorter periods between charge cycles. A much shorter life if allowed to frequently discharge "into the red", a much shorter life if not allowed to fully charge between every use. It could keep going for 5 to 10 years, but I wouldn't expect it to last longer than about 24-30 months of "normal" battery use and not even 12-18 months of "hard" battery (ab)use.

If this battery is dead/dying then it needs to be replaced. The part number (XHP 102242 3.7V 1000mAh) appears unavailable for purchase, but you can probably use any similar battery that happens to fit inside the mouse chassis.

I wouldn't rush out and buy a new battery before confirming that all potential software issues are resolved and before confirming that the old battery does not hold charge (with a DMM).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

paul_roperos
Level 7
where can I find a battery replacement. my unit is about 3 years old and I am beginning to see that my spatha battery expanding.....