cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Chakram X wierd behaviour when an other controller connected

PWN3D_
Level 9
I have a second problem with the new ROG Chakram X that I don't have with the regular Chakram QI,

When the ROG Chakram X is connected (using default profile) and then using a regular controller (I've tested Xbox one, PS4, Xbox 360 wire and wireless using the official dongle), it can messed up with some games by not detecting the regular controller. I've tested it so far on FIFA 23 (broken games I know but still) and Guitar Hero 3/WT, everytime I have my ROG Chakram X plugged, the game doesn't detect my controller. I only tested this 3 games yet, but I'm sure there are A LOT MORE that as this issue.

One thing that made it work with the Chrakram X plugged in is to go to Peripheral management on windows 11, Human Interface Devices, and then dissable the 3 entry that match the ID (or easier, the date and hours when you connected it) of the Chakram X:

-HID compliant Game Controller
-HID system controller
-HID Compliant Device/Consumer Control Device

I have not idea what are the consequences of dissabling these if you use your Chakram X as a controller, but at least it doesn't messed up with others controllers this way.

It's a behaviour that I'm SURE isn't hapening with the old Chakram QI as I've also tested it.

This mouse need a firmware update really REALLY BADLY, as this is the second issue that I find with it that was NOT on the previous model:

See also this topic with the charging status problem that is not fixed yet (1 month ago): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130327-ROG-Chakram-X-QI-Charge-issue-in-2-4GHz-mode

Please acknowledge these issues asap!
12 REPLIES 12

PWN3D_
Level 9
Futher troubleshoot later;

It seems thats this problem only apears when I use the mouse in wireless mode with the RF dongle. If I use the Chakram with the usb cable, everything works as normal and I don't have to deactivate devices on Peripheral management.

I tried to to use the Profile 5 that normally deactivate the joystick but I can't see any differences, the joystick still work at least in digital mode.
I tried to put all my profile to Digital mode for the joystick, but same things.

A thing that I noticed is that using Steam to detect if my controller are there, it only detect one entry of the chakram X if I use the USB cable for it. That's in my opinion the normal behaviour:

But if I use the Chakram X with the dongle, I get 5 entry :

And finally, If I deactivate the 3 HID entry in Peripheral management, I get only two entry for the Chakram X, still one more that I expect but ok:

Here are somelink that highlight this issue, even though they are I believe related to the original Chakram, not the X.
https://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/ubuxhq/fyi_conflict_between_wireless_mouse_joystick_and/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/359870/discussions/0/364041517013213962/

So imo, the firmware for the mouse (for the charging indicator issue) and the dongle need a firmware update really badly!

Nate152
Hello PWN3D_

I was getting the five entries for a little while but now it's just showing one, wired or wireless.

I don't use the joystick much but I've played around with it, you're probably more familiar with using the joystick than I. I normally use profile 3 when playing with it.

For non Steam games, add the game launcher to your Steam library and launch your game from there.

Here's how mine looks.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello PWN3D_

I was getting the five entries for a little while but now it's just showing one, wired or wireless.

I don't use the joystick much but I've played around with it, you're probably more familiar with using the joystick than I. I normally use profile 3 when playing with it.

For non Steam games, add the game launcher to your Steam library and launch your game from there.

Here's how mine looks.

That is exactly the settings that I've used to make my Xbox one controller work on Fifa 23 at launch.
Now, having to rely on steam just to make a game recognize your controller because the Chakram X/dongle firmware is acting up, it's far from ideal.

Edit: Just to be sure, are we on the same firmware? 21.62.15 and 1.00.14 for the dongle?

Nate152
I'm not sure how to check the dongle firmware but I have the latest device firmware for the ROG Chakram X.

Update for this issue:

After replacing my X470 F Gaming motherboard for a X570 Dark Hero and my 3700X for a 5800X3D and reinstalling windows, I don't have this problem anymore.
I didn't have to dissable anything on device manager, it '"just works"!
So hardware issue with my motherboard or simply bad install of windows 11/armoury crate? I don't know anymore, but it also fixed a few issues I aslo had with armoury crate/aura creator, I don't want to talk too soon I need some days/weeks to be sure about that.

I will need to check with future updates if this issue come back somehow.

I've now only one entry of the Chakram X in Steam, with or without the dongle, and other controllers are detected in games without issue... I just don't know why the Chakram X was acting up when my original chakram wasn't.

I guess I will do an other report with the remaining bugs I have on the bug report thread for AC.

SCRATCH THAT, talked way too soon, it just happen again, 5 entry on steam and I believe it happen as soon as I change the side buttons keybind of the Chakram X... Back to square one

Nate152 wrote:
I'm not sure how to check the dongle firmware but I have the latest device firmware for the ROG Chakram X.

It's in the Device tab for the Chakram X, last tab named "Firmware update" I believe, you can see the dongle and mouse firmware version there.

Still, I insist, please concider taking a close look at this thread related to the charging status of the Chakram X not working properly with using QI Charge as it is not fixed yet :
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130327-ROG-Chakram-X-QI-Charge-issue-in-2-4GHz-mode

PWN3D_
Level 9
Ok i think I'm finally getting to the bottom of this,

I did several clean install of windows 11 and everytime this problem apears when I try to install teamspeak (3.5.6, not the beta) and more particularly Overwolf that come with it.

I don't really know why Overwolf would interfere with the mouse... but it does.

I tried one last clean install by just installing steam to check the Chakram X entries and Overwolf directly after, from there site
One reboot later, the issue came back so I'm pretty certain it has something to to with it.

The thing is I tried to uninstall Overworlf right after, but it did not fix anything (I tried the normal uninstaller and Revo uninstaller), the only thing I could do to fix this issue is to clean install windows... again.

Now, is the problem really is Overwolf or the Chakram X has a part of responsability in this? I don't really know anymore...

Nate152

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do your problems go away if you simply removed the other controller?

If you are experiencing controller conflict, then enable "Joystick compatibility mode" (when connected via USB or 2.4 GHz).

Can you document exactly what happens when:
- Wired/wireless (2.4 GHz)
- With Joystick Compatibility Mode enable/disabled
- With XBOX controller connected/disconnected

MasterC@ROG wrote:
Do your problems go away if you simply removed the other controller?

If you are experiencing controller conflict, then enable "Joystick compatibility mode" (when connected via USB or 2.4 GHz).

Can you document exactly what happens when:
- Wired/wireless (2.4 GHz)
- With Joystick Compatibility Mode enable/disabled
- With XBOX controller connected/disconnected

The inherent problem of the Chakram and Chakram X (tested both) is the fact that you can't easily just disable the controller part of it. It makes certain games (old and new) recognize the Chakram as the "First" controller and can create issue if you are using an other controller (that will therefore be detected as a second controller).

In FIFA 23 for example, having the Chakram X or Chakram connected when launching the game, make it the first controller and I didn't find a way in game to disable it. If I plug a regular controller like my Xbox controller , it works in certain mode, but breaks the possibility to join a coop online game, saying the lobby I try to join is full. I bet the fact of having two controller recognized (meaning the game thinks I'm two players) and try to join a single slot lobby is doing that. Unplugging the Chakram in this situation doesn't do anything until I launch the game again with the Chakram disconected.

Having it wired or wireless, with joystick Compatibility on or off, or with an other controller connected doesn't change anything. The problem is that the Chakram is designed recognized as a controller by default, without the possibility to dissable this in Armoury Crate.

The only thing that may work is to dissable all the inputs related to the Chakram in Human Interface Devices Peripheral management but it's really a hassle.

As for the 5 input I'm having on Steam with the Chakram X only while have Overwolf installed, the support team at Overwolf is looking into it, but the fact that I have to reinstall windows or use an restore point make me confident to not use Overwolf anymore and I would highly suggest anyone that use the Chakram X, NOT to install Overwolf to avoid a LOT of trouble.

For now on, I've decided to ditch the Chakram X entirely and use a regular mouse. Good concept but not having the possibility to dissable the controller part of it is a mistake. I don't have the patience anymore to troubleshoot compatibility every time I launch a new game with it.