cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Scope RX not lighting up and functioning

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
So I recently attended PAX Aus and purchased a ROG Strix Scope RX keyboard. I connected it Monday evening and it worked great, early Tuesday I was asked to Install Armoury Crate so I did. I installed it, updated Armoury Crate and sometime later, I was informed of a Firmware update for the keyboard. I updated the Firmware and the keyboard was functioning normally. fast forward to Wednesday evening, I got Home and noticed the RGB lighting was flickering constantly, so I unplugged the keyboard and reconnected it to the USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard and it stopped lighting up and functioning.

I have uninstalled Armoury Crate using the uninstall tool and reinstalled multiple times, the full install package always fails to install with an error about my internet connection - even when I was testing that simultaneously to ensure there were no connection issues. But I can Install it with the install tool.

Windows detects there is a keyboard and it is working normally, and just recently before making this post, I decided to connect a USB Flash drive I have to the keyboard's USB 2.0 pass through port and the flash drive was recognized and I was able to access it.

I also did do a Windows update a while after performing the Firmware Update(Tuesday) and this doesn't seem to be the cause as the keyboard was functioning up until Wednesday night.

System Specs
ROG Rampage IV Formula
3930K - stock speeds - no overclocking
32GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Windows 10 Pro
21H2
Build 19044.2130
18 REPLIES 18

Nate152
Ok, it seems windows is not detecting your keyboard at all as it should be showing under Mice and other pointing devices.

Have you tried the usual disconnecting and reconnecting your keyboard, tried different usb ports, make sure the usb port has power with another device etc.

You could try the windows troubleshooter to see if it picks up anything.

If none of this helps, I'm not sure what to suggest except...

Would you by chance be able to try your ROG Strix Scope RX on another pc just to make sure all is well?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Considering the darn thing was fully functional last week, it should have been registered correctly within Windows, but it's like Windows has forgotten what it is...if only there were actual device drivers to use. Anyway, yes I have tried all USB ports on my Rampage IV Formula, all USB 2 and 3 ports, including the front panel ones. I am using a spare keyboard that is USB, so the ports are fine and I have used a USB Flash drive to test them individually too.

Just ran Troubleshooter, came up with nothing wrong

Yes have connected it to other PC's and also a mates ROG Laptop...all nothing.

Nate152
I too find it odd it would stop working after an update, and if it's not detected on your mate's pc either, this would point to hardware failure.

Could it possibly be the cable, does jiggling the cable make it show any signs of life?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Yeah I have a feeling it is a hardware failure too, cable jiggle does nothing. Guess i'm going to have to call the shop I bought it from and see about an RMA

Nate152
That was going to be my next suggestion, give us an update when you get your new keyboard.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Will do Nate, thanks heaps for the help mate I really appreciate it.

Seems i've been out of the current hardware loop for too damn long, I gotta catch up haha

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Well, I called the shop last Wednesday and now, 6 days later I have a replacement keyboard. Very happy with the incredibly fast turnaround of 6 days. Though I have decided to not re-install Armoury Crate again.

Nate152
Hey Myk SilentShadow

Thank you for reporting and good to hear all is well with your new ROG Strix Scope RX keyboard.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Thanks Nate, very happy to have a fully functioning keyboard once more haha.