cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG AZOTH - Sleep, power and external hard drive issues...

aloper
Level 8

So, with armoury crate installed, using it with the Azoth, I'm having a few more issues...

1 - Now, my computer will not sleep. My screen saver will turn on, but it just refuses to sleep. 
2 - Now, my external USB hard drive will not sleep. The disk access light keeps flashing, like it's constantly being accessed. I use this drive exclusively for backups, and most of the time, it will sleep until my backup app starts a backup, once a day in the evening. 
3 - In armoury crate, in the power section, I've set sleep mode for the Azoth keyboard to turn on after 10 minutes of inactivity and have selected "turn off keyboard and oled led. They never turn off, ever.

Here's the thing, I have an Asus motherboard and have armoury crate installed for awhile, and never had any of this issues, until I connected the Azoth, and armoury crate installed it's plugin for the Azoth. And I've done nothing else to my system, except install the Azoth, so it has to be related to the Azoth and how armoury crate interacts with it or a combo of the two. 

After battling for half a day to just get it's firmware updated, and now these issues, I'm leaning towards returning it. It's a real shame as the keyboard itself is pretty amazing. It's just horribly let down by armoury crate. Having spent hours, searching online for my original firmware update and now, power issues, I've not found a single person praising armoury crate. Every review of the Azoth is basically, "great keyboard, terrible software"...Every single review. I took a chance anyways thinking I haven't had many issues with armoury crate, but after installing the Azoth, I see why it's universally hated...

13 REPLIES 13

Nate152

Hello aloper,

Check in Armoury Crate on the power tab, below where you can select the minutes, make sure power saving mode is turned on. 

I tested sleep with one minute and mine goes to sleep, my pc also goes to sleep. Double check the windows power options, sleep settings.

I've done that several times...tried 1 minute all the way to 10 minutes. Just tried 1 minute again, walked away from my desk, came back like 5 minutes later and the oled screen and keyboard were still awake...My windows system is set to sleep by default after 30 minutes. I've also tried other, smaller times and it won't sleep with the keyboard connected. Again, this computer had no sleep issues until I installed the keyboard and the keyboard was added in aromoury crate...Screenshot 2023-03-27 102450.pngScreenshot 2023-03-27 102113.png

aloper
Level 8

Just as another follow up to my original post, I'm 100% sure the issue is combination of armoury crate and the azoth. I disconnected the Azoth and connected my older GMMK keyboard. Instantly, the constant hard drive access to my external USB drive stopped, and my system resumed sleeping normally. 

Nate152

Ok,

Did you install Armoury Crate on your external hard drive? If so, try using the Armoury Crate uninstall tool and try installing Armoury Crate on your internal drive.

In the link below select your operating system, click "show all" in blue, the uninstall tool is the third download.

Armoury Crate - Support (asus.com)

Once uninstalled install Armoury Crate 3.2.5.2 (first download), Armoury Crate will automatically update to 5.4.10.0, then head to the update center and check for updates. You may have to restart a time or two during the reinstall.

Make sure you install Armoury Crate on your internal drive.

Does this fix things?

No, I have had AC installed for months on my main C drive, as I have an Asus motherboard and use it to control my lighting. Again, these issues only started happening after I connected the keyboard, and updated AC to support the Azoth:
1 - Now, my computer will not sleep. My screen saver will turn on, but it just refuses to sleep. 
2 - Now, my external USB hard drive will not sleep. The disk access light keeps flashing, like it's constantly being accessed. I use this drive exclusively for backups, and most of the time, it will sleep until my backup app starts a backup, once a day in the evening. 
3 - In armoury crate, in the power section, I've set sleep mode for the Azoth keyboard to turn on after 10 minutes of inactivity and have selected "turn off keyboard and oled led. They never turn off, ever.

The solution so far that allows my external drive to stop be accessed all the time, and it to sleep, as well as my whole computer to sleep is to actually uninstall AC completely. With it uninstalled, now my external drive isn't constantly being accessed, and the computer itself will sleep as normal. I've lost the ability to set sleep settings for the keyboard...which weren't working anyways with AC installed...And I'm stuck with the just the default asus animation on the keyboard screen...But at least everything else is working. I'll try reinstalling AC one more time, but if the same issues start happening again, I'll uninstall AC again, and run without it...or just return the keyboard...

Nate152

Reinstalling Armoury Crate is worth a try, be sure to use the uninstall tool.

If reinstalling doesn't help, fill out this google form and attach a log to it.

To generate a log in Armoury Crate click Settings, click About tab.

Google form - Armoury Crate V5.4.10.0 / Aura Creator V3.5.7.0 (google.com)

Click Submit when finished.

Reinstall did nothing...external USB drive is back to being constantly accessed and the system won't sleep. This kicked in as soon as the AC installation was complete. Also, there is a newer firmware for the keyboard, and again, trying to update it just gives me the "firmware version can't be identified blah blah" message..And yes, the keyboard is connected via USB and the dongle is connected as well...

I know you are trying to help, and I appreciate it, but  Armoury Crate is seriously bad...Why can't Asus just release a simple, keyboard utility, instead of relying on AC? It's a shame because the keyboard is the best I've used...but with all these AC issues, I think it's time to box it up and send it back...thanks for the help...

Nate152

You're welcome.

To confirm, you've used the uninstall tool to uninstall Armoury Crate?

I'm not using an external hard drive so I wonder if it has something to do with it. I know you want your external hard drive but as a quick test, could you try disconnecting it and see if things return to normal?

Here is everything I tried in order...

Disconnected external HD
Uninstalled AC, rebooted.
Reinstalled AC, rebooted.
Keyboard is plugged in via USB, Dongle is connected via USB...both on motherboard ports
Open AC
- Try to update firmware...Nope "Encountered error trying to identify firmware version". Moved the KB and dongle to two other USB ports, again off the motherboard and no go...
- Set a timeout for the keyboard and oled screen in AC for 1 minute. Stays on and never turns off no matter what time I select in AC...
- Reconnected HD drive and yep, constant access and sleep for the entire system isn't working...again...

- Installed AC on my work laptop. Rebooted that...
- Connected keyboard and dongle to USB ports directly on the laptop.
- Tried to update firmware...nada...Encountered error trying to identify firmware version.

So, there are only two possible issues at this point...The keyboard itself is defective in some way or AC just doesn't like my desktop PC and my work laptop...Either isn't good. So, I'll I can do is send the keyboard back, either for a replacement or a refund. I'm going to tag this conversation to Newegg and hope they are kind to me...