cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG AZOTH - FIrmware update - Encountered error trying to identify firmware error

aloper
Level 8

Just received the Asus Azoth and I can't update the firmware. Fully up to date Armoury Crate. I have the keyboard connected directly via USB, and in USB mode. I've also connected the dongle. Once I click update, I get the error "Encountered error trying to identify firmware version. Please reconnect device and click "check for updates" and try again. I've fully uninstalled armoury crate and reinstalled. Same error. Removed the Azoth driver from device manager and rebooted. After the driver re-installed, I tried the update again and it failed with the same message...

Installed Armoury Crate on a different computer and am getting the same error message. For reference, the keyboard is on version 3.00.21 and it's showing 3.00.24 as available. 

How do you get this properly updated???? And no, I will not re-install Windows to get a keyboard's firmware updated...

60 REPLIES 60

Nate152

Hello steveme,

Please do the following steps to perform the update.

1) Connect the usb cable to your ROG Azoth and a usb port on your pc.

2) Connect the wireless dongle to a usb port on your pc.

3) Set the switch on your ROG Azoth to wired mode, which is the switch in the center position.

4) Try the update in Armoury Crate.

yup did all that and thats why im posting here to say that those directions do not work. Im currently in the process of uninstalling Armoury crate.

Nate152

Ok, good idea then.

To uninstall Armoury Crate, you'll want to use the Armoury Crate uninstall tool even if you've uninstalled it from windows. 

In the link below select your operating system, click "Show all" in blue, the uninstall tool is the third download.

Armoury Crate - Support (asus.com)

Once uninstalled, install Armoury Crate version 3.2.6.1 (first download), it will automatically update to version 5.4.10.0, then head to the update center and check for updates.

You can let the cable and wireless dongle connected with the switch set to wired mode when uninstalling/reinstalling.

Should go nice and smooth and fully update.

Here are the latest versions in Armoury Crate.

ROG Azoth.png

hello there not sure if this is old topic but I am currently having issues with updating my firmware on ROG AZOTH, I have done everything I could reinstalled Armoury crate like 3 times, since after first reinstall I couldnt get the ROG RYUJIN II to show up and work right but now it does but the AZOTH is still having issues with updating firmware it comes back with the error after following everything that you have said in the post to do, so Im not sure if my unit is now faulty or whats going, any help would be greatly appreciated 

Vinny1001
Level 9

Hi. I just purchased the ROG Azoth off Amazon.

I had issues updating the firmware, but eventually I did the Fn + Esc combo to reset it, then it was able to update the firmware via Armoury Crate. The firmware it installed is version 3.2.1.2.

So far everything seems to be working both on the keyboard itself and some settings in Armoury Crate. I haven't tested every setting yet.

I also have the Falchion that never had issues updating.

Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Function-ESC and then the update took. Thanks for the simple tip.

Nate152

Hello

Vinny1001 - Great to hear your ROG Azoth is updated and all is well.

Damo2891 - What is the error message you get when trying to update your ROG Azoth?

encountered error trying to identify the firmware version, and I have done everything mentioned above, reconnect device FN + ESC, reinstalled armoury crate like 3 times and no matter what it wont update the firmware, 3.00.26 it is the firmware version that it is trying update to but no matter what I do just wont go thru, even spamming update button just wont work, everything else updated fine like armoury crate did, my mice firmware no problems, motherboard no problems however AZOTH just wont do it 

Nate152

Thank you

Ok, so your ROG Azoth is working, it just won't update.

Sometimes doing little things can get it to update like trying the update with the 2.4GHz wireless switch on, then try again with it off.

Could try uninstalling your ROG Azoth from device manager and rebooting.

Could try the wireless dongle and usb-c cable in two pc case usb ports, this should work to update as well.

yup tried it all pretty much plugged the keyboard to every USB port I have available and still wasnt doing it so Im not sure what to do at this point with it, just bit annoyed that this keyboard is pretty pricey piece of kit here in Australia and cant get simple thing like firmware upgrade done on it, my ROG switches starting playing up as well almost 1/4 of the keyboard was double tripple pressing per switch and Asus only included 3 spares which I reused so I had to invest more money to buy myself set of aftermarket switches to get rid of that problem and in all honestly my keyboard isnt even that old yet, probably just over 4 months maybe little longer