cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Theta 7.1 Volume Issue

skyhopper01
Level 9
Hey Folks, So I recently purchased the Theta 7.1 headset to upgrade my ROG DELTA and I have discovered a weird issue when changing the output to 7.1 from stereo in ROG ARMORY. when using 7.1, all sounds become much quieter. I have to use the headset at 100 percent volume and it is not loud at all. Overall the General Volume of this headset does seem to be lower than the Delta. Does anyone have any insight on this issue or perhaps a soloution?
83 REPLIES 83

If the volume is too low, make sure you're on the mode that corresponds to the content. When the content is stereo, there's no need to push all 8 drivers. Switch to 7.1 only if you are playing content which supports it.

kriptkori
Level 7
Hi, dear community. I can't use the USB_Audio_FW_Update_Tool_ASUS and Theta_FwUpdate. I can't click and can't get a response from these files. Can someone explain how to downgrade theta (fake) 7.1 firmware?

kriptkori wrote:
Hi, dear community. I can't use the USB_Audio_FW_Update_Tool_ASUS and Theta_FwUpdate. I can't click and can't get a response from these files. Can someone explain how to downgrade theta (fake) 7.1 firmware?

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. It works. But I want to downgrade the Firmware to see if it fixes the surround precision. Because this headset does not do its job in terms of the surround experience as it is advertised. especially from precision is not true. I get the sound between 11 and 1 (clock direction ) as if they come from 9 or 3 clock direction. Worse than a spatial headset. I don't believe that there is a true 7.1 headset anymore. Also, I can't understand how Asus and the engineers accept this headset as a good job.

Nate152
Hello kriptkori

Welcome to the ROG forum.

The ROG Theta 7.1 is supported with Armoury Crate, try updating the firmware through Armoury Crate.

Select your operating system and install Armoury Crate version 3.2.3.0

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/armoury%20crate/helpdesk_download/

Let me know how it goes.

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Have you tried playing with the audio settings in Armoury Crate?

I spent two days with this headset. I spent two days with this headset. Also, someone described this issue based on a dial of a clock like I tried to describe. Here is the link: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117370-Theta-7-1-setup-question-poor-rear-distinction

The helicopter sound in Armory Create is perfect if I set the headset as spatial sound. I also tested my Logitech G430 with Armory Create. It worked. But with the true 7.1 settings, this headset is not doing its main job. Good sound but poor surround precision. There is nothing to do except some EQ setting in Armory create. I know there is no solution to this problem. I expected it to be at least as good as virtual surround. Worse than it. 8 speakers, good sound, and hear everything, but it works like stereo. An ordinary headset works if it's in stereo mode. What I expected from Theta 7.1 were that powerful sound quality and a better 7.1 experience. Is there really a way to make this headset works as it should?

Nate152
From what I gather, you want to set 7.1 in the windows sound settings and disable any windows sound enhancements.

Can anyone help me understand why the subwoofer channel is not working?
In Armory sw test is silent. The channel does not work in other audio tests either.

Nate152
Hello Gunbox

The ROG Theta 7.1 doesn't have a dedicated subwoofer, it has virtual bass. I imagine this is why the subwoofer channel doesn't work.

In Armoury Crate, are you able to adjust the bass with the Equalizer and Bass Boost slider?

I have not heard that the headphones had speakers for the subwoofer channel.
I'm not an expert, but other multi-channel headphones have subwoofer channel output to the main speakers.
...and there are even some with output to the vibration motor for an additional effect on the bass. 😄
In Armory Crate, neither the equalizer nor the bass slider works at all for me, nor does it make any noticeable changes to the set themes. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know.