cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Theta 7.1 Volume Issue

skyhopper01
Level 9
Hey Folks, So I recently purchased the Theta 7.1 headset to upgrade my ROG DELTA and I have discovered a weird issue when changing the output to 7.1 from stereo in ROG ARMORY. when using 7.1, all sounds become much quieter. I have to use the headset at 100 percent volume and it is not loud at all. Overall the General Volume of this headset does seem to be lower than the Delta. Does anyone have any insight on this issue or perhaps a soloution?
83 REPLIES 83

Zion_One-Eyed
Level 8
my volume feels loud and surround but every time I change application the volume jumps to 100 then I wait for 5 seconds and go back to 30 "percentage at which I use it", it always does and it breaks my head, that's why I'm using other headphones, does anyone have the same problem?
also, sometimes you have to unplug and reconnect the microphone because it doesn't respond

Dobre_Laurentiu
Level 7
Hey guys! I have this problem with my Theta 7.1 headphones. No matter what I do, I cant get all speakers work. In sound settings I can hear each speaker, but when I listen to music, I can hear only from front speakers. Can anyone help me?

Windows 11 Pro
Armoury Crate
Firmware 0039

Dobre Laurentiu Marian wrote:
Hey guys! I have this problem with my Theta 7.1 headphones. No matter what I do, I cant get all speakers work. In sound settings I can hear each speaker, but when I listen to music, I can hear only from front speakers. Can anyone help me?

Windows 11 Pro
Armoury Crate
Firmware 0039

That's because music is stereo content. If you open sonic studio 3, you can upsample audio to surround if you like but in all honestly it hurts the quality of the sound. Otherwise, you will only see all speakers fire up if you are listening to content specifically designed with surround sound. Most modern games certainly do.

ATOdinson
Level 9
Ok, I am absolutely in love with the sound quality and its one of the only good true 7.1 headsets on the market but I am having serious issues. In 7.1 mode particularly, certain types of media, particularly music, are way too quiet and just not rich or full sounding as they should be. Certain types of music seem more effected than others.

I tried using a program that boosts the windows system volume for the specific device, but that had some weird results. For one, if I turned it on while listening, I could actively hear the volume boost then fade back down close to what the volume was before as if there is some sort of active software limiter. While it did boost the volume of my music on par with the stereo mode, it created other issues. For example, when watching videos I could hear whatever software limiter continually make adjustments, sometimes incorrectly to the point that bass would blowout. If you watch the same clip without the preceding sound, no blow out. But if you watch clip with the preceding audio, blowout.

I have tried different music players. I have tried listening to the same music in browser. The only thing that seems to give a full and rich listening experience without added issues is manually switching to stereo mode. This obviously isnt very helpful if I want to listen to music and play a game at the same time. Hopefully someone can help me out. There has to be something I can do because clearly the headset is capable of higher volume levels. Games and movies have proven that. How can I disable whatever volume equalization is going on in this headset? I want to love it, but if I cant fix this issue, I will either have to buy a separate headset just for music listening, or return this one and find a headset that doesnt have these same issues.

*edit* this wouldn't even be as much of an issue is the 7.1 or stereo setting was able to be changed via the scenario profiles. Then I could have it switch to stereo anytime I launched my music player. But unfortunately that is not a setting that is saved via those profiles.

Hi AT0dinson

Some effects can have an impact on sound, when listening to music I set to stereo (virtual surround off), when playing games I turn virtual surround on.

This gives me the best overall sound with the ROG Delta S Animate.

I'm not using any volume booster.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi AT0dinson

Some effects can have an impact on sound, when listening to music I set to stereo (virtual surround off), when playing games I turn virtual surround on.

This gives me the best overall sound with the ROG Delta S Animate.

I'm not using any volume booster.

I wish I could at the very least have the 7.1 and stereo mode saved to a profile. Then I could have it auto switch when listening to music. But as it is, that setting is universal and not saved to the profile. Hell, just allow me to hotkey switching from stereo to 7.1! That would make things feel better.

ATOdinson wrote:
I wish I could at the very least have the 7.1 and stereo mode saved to a profile. Then I could have it auto switch when listening to music. But as it is, that setting is universal and not saved to the profile. Hell, just allow me to hotkey switching from stereo to 7.1! That would make things feel better.

Sorry, for now we are bound by Windows.
We already have a switch for you to change between 7.1 and stereo. However, you're need to change the mode first, then unplug and reconnect.

MasterC@ROG wrote:
Sorry, for now we are bound by Windows.
We already have a switch for you to change between 7.1 and stereo. However, you're need to change the mode first, then unplug and reconnect.

The toggle inside Armoury crate switches it without having to disconnect. I wonder why the switch works different.

Nate152 wrote:
I like your way of thinking AT0dinson, you could mention this in the "Make Headset Improvement Suggestions"" thread below.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127444-Make-Headset-Improvement-Suggestions-Here!

Done!