cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Theta 7.1 Volume Issue

skyhopper01
Level 9
Hey Folks, So I recently purchased the Theta 7.1 headset to upgrade my ROG DELTA and I have discovered a weird issue when changing the output to 7.1 from stereo in ROG ARMORY. when using 7.1, all sounds become much quieter. I have to use the headset at 100 percent volume and it is not loud at all. Overall the General Volume of this headset does seem to be lower than the Delta. Does anyone have any insight on this issue or perhaps a soloution?
83 REPLIES 83

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Generally, surround channels do not have a strong presence unless intended - you're not suppose to hear those channels all the time. Those with a full home theatre will be accustomed to this when watching blockbuster movies. Firmware 0034 simulates that experience more than 0038 and 0039.

Some gamers who buy the Theta 7.1 may try them on and expect surround sound channels to be loud all the time and complain about the lack of surround effects. Firmware 0038 and 0039 lower the volume of the front channels for more presence in the surround channels, so the Theta is tuned to be a better gaming headset that appeals to more people. Of course, all this depends on the content and game you're playing.

These two versions are tuned more for games rather than movies. I have tested version 0039 personally and can honestly say they are very loud at max volume (I'm slightly hard of hearing after years to loud music, gaming, and movies. 0039 is slightly louder than 0038). If you really want to, you can still revert to 0034.

Link for 0034:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qcPokMetWPdhDBhmgEEnZmKp6mhBlHmz

Out of curiosity, what kind of content or games do you find the sound too soft??

lo 0039 ancora lo devo istallare e sono fermo con lo 0034. lo 0038 l ho provato ma abbassava il volume del 50% quindi ho fatto reso e dopo aver ricevuto le nuove cuffie non ho più aggiornato. grazie per aver messo online il firmware 0034, a questo punto mi consigli di istallare lo 0039?

0039 is slightly louder than 0038. Feel safe is choosing the firmware that you prefer, the only difference is optimised volume level for the front channels. This can be subjective and dependant on the content played, of course you could opt to make adjustments to individual channels via Armoury Crate.

iadda320 wrote:
lo 0039 ancora lo devo istallare e sono fermo con lo 0034. lo 0038 l ho provato ma abbassava il volume del 50% quindi ho fatto reso e dopo aver ricevuto le nuove cuffie non ho più aggiornato. grazie per aver messo online il firmware 0034, a questo punto mi consigli di istallare lo 0039?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Generally, surround channels do not have a strong presence unless intended - you're not suppose to hear those channels all the time. Those with a full home theatre will be accustomed to this when watching blockbuster movies. Firmware 0034 simulates that experience more than 0038 and 0039.

Some gamers who buy the Theta 7.1 may try them on and expect surround sound channels to be loud all the time and complain about the lack of surround effects. Firmware 0038 and 0039 lower the volume of the front channels for more presence in the surround channels, so the Theta is tuned to be a better gaming headset that appeals to more people. Of course, all this depends on the content and game you're playing.

These two versions are tuned more for games rather than movies. I have tested version 0039 personally and can honestly say they are very loud at max volume (I'm slightly hard of hearing after years to loud music, gaming, and movies. 0039 is slightly louder than 0038). If you really want to, you can still revert to 0034.

Link for 0034:

Out of curiosity, what kind of content or games do you find the sound too soft??

I am going to test firmware 0034 to see how it works. 0039 seems to me a small step forward in positioning, especially in COD: MW, in a few days I will tell you my impressions with 0034.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:

These two versions are tuned more for games rather than movies. I have tested version 0039 personally and can honestly say they are very loud at max volume (0039 is slightly louder than 0038). If you really want to, you can still revert to 0034.

Link for 0034:

I'm completly agree, 0034 is better for gaming and movies. Bass is much much better.

Thanks for link 😉

Last time that I buy Asus pheripherials.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:

These two versions are tuned more for games rather than movies. I have tested version 0039 personally and can honestly say they are very loud at max volume (0039 is slightly louder than 0038). If you really want to, you can still revert to 0034.

Link for 0034:

Just here to confirm that firmware 0034 is way better than the newer versions. After installing 0034 it's the first time I hear clear separation between front and back channels.

It looks like shifting sound to the back by reducing volume in front results in the headphone sounding like a very noisy bad stereo instead of 5.1 or 7.1

Even with 0034 the rear channels are close to the side channels with just a small distinction. But don't get me wrong the 7.1 sound is pretty accurate even so.

For movies 0034 is the best, actors voice is clear, not mechanical, bass is present even in the voice, something missing in later firmware versions.

For games I have nothing to complain about depends on the game, you can always tune it to your specific needs.

So a word of wisdom to anyone listening at asus, stay true to simulating 7.1 as best as you can from firmware, in case some people complain, add a check box in Armoury Crate something like "enhance back channels for gaming", if it's checked reduce front channel volume from software. I want my hardware to be standard 7.1 not adapted to only some users, I'm paying for 7.1 surround sound not what some people think 7.1 should sound like. Just think of making a vacuum cleaner, would you reduce it's suction power from firmware just because some people prefer a less noisy vacuum cleaner? Think not.

For anyone who bought this headphone, stay away from Armoury Crate, the enhancements from it are actually distorting the sound, reducing dynamic range and making people talk in a different timber, bass in 0034 is good enough no need for enhancements. The windows drivers installed by default work just fine, and enhancements tab can be used to tune some settings.

So.. I'd like to give another feedback again after trying out Letasoft on my pc and paying for it. These are amazing headsets and it's just the bad quality audio that is synthetized by your pc which is making things crappy. 

I've tweaked for a while between both Letasoft Sound Booster as well as Armory and I've mastered the perfect configuration for pretty much any occasion. I can say now that these are among the best sound quality headsets I've had but you have to get Letasoft or some other alternatives to improve what comes out of windows. 

What made me persist in finding the right software was how good these actually sound on my MACBOOKPRO which is very old but running on Ubuntu. The sound there was superb from scratch. But windows you gotta go the extra mile. Believe it or not vs Ubuntu.

Chers and thanks for making this great product. I'm satisfied now for paying the price for it.

Keep making the difference and rocking at it.

Javisoft
Level 7
Well I just installed firmware 0034 and it is really better, better bass more power and the positioning doesn't seem to be affected in the slightest.

Honestly, this firmware is the way to go in my opinion, or at least it is the one that seems most complete to me at the moment.

Javisoft wrote:
Well I just installed firmware 0034 and it is really better, better bass more power and the positioning doesn't seem to be affected in the slightest.

Honestly, this firmware is the way to go in my opinion, or at least it is the one that seems most complete to me at the moment.

è un bel dilemma, lo 0034 è più forte, lo 0039 ha un migliore posizionamento e come qualità è leggermente migliore

lLegendaary
Level 9
everything is fine with FW>0034
I just wish they keep updating their software with more improvments ( thats all ).
my experience with ASUS just one year of updates then boom nothing in headset. 😄

After a lot of playing around with Crate and FW, I decided that I will go back to FW v34 and Windows default drivers + solve my missing LFE channel problem. For this I used a mix of windows default effects and Peace EQ.

Warning: Crate should by no means be installed with this config.

First I downgraded the FW from latest to v34, in latest FW the back channel is louder than the front, IMO that is NOK. Front driver is a 40mm one while the one in the "back" is a 30mm so makes no real sense to leave it like that and lose volume and bass because of this.

I have made 2 configs, Stereo and 7.1. On the 7.1 config I enable loudness equalization effect from default windows sound effects to get a volume boost (good for games and movies IMO) while on Stereo config effects are enabled for PeaceEQ to work but no effects are actually used from the default ones.

PeaceEQ is set up to create a virtual LFE channel in the 7.1 config and to add a very small bass boost, nothing to extreme (feel free to change it). On Stereo only bass boost is added. Make sure you check Prevent Clipping in PeaceEQ UI. You can find the configs in PeaceEQ named My Stereo and My 7.1

Made a utility to switch between Stereo and 7.1 configurations, because its best to use one or the other based on how many channels are in the source audio. Its actually an AutoIT script so you need to compile it to an exe and add it to windows startup (when compiling to exe use an ico file from the internet size 32x32). One important thing is that you have to disable all other audio outputs for the utility to work as in the attached screenshot, change the script if you don't like it. Just add as many Send("{DOWN}") commands to navigate to the right device on your PC.

Shortcuts after the setup:
WINKEY+` - Stereo
WINKEY+Shift+` - 7.1

Hope this helps!

Attachments:

All devices disabled except Theta (and all disabled devices hidden, for his right click in this window and uncheck "Show Disabled Devices")

Control panel Stereo (No Spatial Sound!)

Control panel 7.1 (No Spatial Sound!)

Peace Settings

Switch Sound Utility (to switch between Stereo and 7.1 in windows control panel and also PeaceEQ presets)