cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Fusion 700 Can't get surround sound !!!

Seymen
Level 8
I believe this is a driver related issue. I can't get surround sound on the headset. All sounds are in stereo sound. I noticed this firstly while gaming in BF5. All shots sounds the same, they dont have any direction effect in headset, even someone fires your behind it sounds as same firing in front of you exactly. no difference at all.

Then in Armoury Crate I tried the virtual surround sound test in Fusion 700 sound setting page, see below screenshots. There is no movement on SL, RL or SR, RR sound bars which represent the surround sound voice level. All sounds coming from only FL and FR during the whole virtual surround test.

And also I tried to check the sound levels of the surround sounds at 7.1 Volume Control panel at the same page, and there seems to be only FL and FR available as well, see below screenshot. This make me think there is a driver issue so headset works in stereo mode currently.

Without surround effect this headset sounds awful and doesnt worth the money. Can anyone comment how can I fix this issue??
4 REPLIES 4

JaisonG
Level 7
Hi there,

I have the same 700 Strix and had previously used the Delta RGB.

There's only 2 physical speaker, 1 in each ear cup, which is why you are seeing a single left and right channel.

The surround is virtual using the 2 speakers.

Try a YouTube clip with surround sound to hear the difference with the Surround option on and off.

JaisonG wrote:
Hi there,

I have the same 700 Strix and had previously used the Delta RGB.

There's only 2 physical speaker, 1 in each ear cup, which is why you are seeing a single left and right channel.

The surround is virtual using the 2 speakers.

Try a YouTube clip with surround sound to hear the difference with the Surround option on and off.

I know there is physically 2 speaker. But virtual surround surround makes big difference, I used many 7.1 surround headsets so far. It is very easy to notice the difference for everyone between stereo and surround headset.

My case is totally different, for example I'm testing the Virtual Surround Sound demo in the Asus Armoury. I'm clicking the sound channels from forward to back (1 to 3, see below), and there is no different at all. Or from 3 to 1, it is the same sound what I hear. I'm pretty sure this is related to a driver issue.

Can you do the same test on your Fusion 700 headset ?

Seymen wrote:
I know there is physically 2 speaker. But virtual surround surround makes big difference, I used many 7.1 surround headsets so far. It is very easy to notice the difference for everyone between stereo and surround headset.

My case is totally different, for example I'm testing the Virtual Surround Sound demo in the Asus Armoury. I'm clicking the sound channels from forward to back (1 to 3, see below), and there is no different at all. Or from 3 to 1, it is the same sound what I hear. I'm pretty sure this is related to a driver issue.

Can you do the same test on your Fusion 700 headset ?

Didn't realise you had replied.

Yes it is the same for me.

And where I mentioned the 2 speakers I meant for anyone reading this it is the reason why there is just the single left and right channel volume sliders.

That ASUS Demo is OK and only a hint of surround sound, but try another demo.

I use Dolby Atmos now and using a YouTube vid with the Strix 700 is not too bad.

JaisonG wrote:
Didn't realise you had replied.

Yes it is the same for me.

And where I mentioned the 2 speakers I meant for anyone reading this it is the reason why there is just the single left and right channel volume sliders.

That ASUS Demo is OK and only a hint of surround sound, but try another demo.

I use Dolby Atmos now and using a YouTube vid with the Strix 700 is not too bad.

Jaison, I found what is wrong with the surround sound on this headset. It seems to be Windows issue. I'm using Windows 10 Pro. It seems with version 1903 Microsoft removed the option to select 7.1 Virtual Surround sound option at sound settings. That's why I'm hearing all sounds at stereo which is the Windows default setting, and there is no option to change it. Without this option the headset works completely in stereo mode. See below screenshot;

I have restored my Windows 10 to the previous version which is 1809, and I can now select the "7.1 Virtual Surround sound" option in same window. I can now CLEARLY hear 7.1 in games

Even testing in Armoury Crate Virtual Surround Sound demo, now every channel makes a big difference.

I believe Asus drivers sucks, the driver doesnt override Windows default stereo settings to enable 7.1 virtual surround sound in headset. I will stick with this old Windows 10 version until Asus fix this driver issue.

Jaison can you please check and tell me which Windows version you use?