cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Orion Gaming Headset Repair Tutorial

C4RN1
Level 9
Copied from NBR Forums

I"m back with yet another tutorial for the community.... But first my story and thoughts.

I bought this headset back in March of 2013, it's hooked up to my xbox 360 and computer by an Astro mixamp. I've always believed these were better than my Sennheiser pc350's in comfort, sound and price. A few days ago I noticed the sound would go out on the right side unless i sat with my head tilted up and kept completely still. Well I found the culprit to be the cable where it feeds into the headset and last night around 3am or so I decided it was time to either completely break the headset or attempt to fix it.

Tools Needed:

Crosslock Tweezers
Precision Screwdrivers
Exacto Knife or sharp pocket knife or scissors
Soldering iron and solder

Step 1. Troubleshooting

You want to first determine if you have the same issue as me (more than likely you do but it doesn't hurt to check). Plug your headset into the source and see if you can get the defective side working by wiggling and bending the hard plastic part where the wire goes into the headset. You should be able to find a spot where everything works as intended.

Step 2. Remove the ear cuff

Look on the side where the mic is and gently lift up the ear cup. You will see small tabs holding the ear cup into place. Gently pull the ear cuff over the tab and set aside.

Step 3. Remove the speaker

With the ear cuff removed you can now see the speaker and the 4 screws that secure the speaker. Remove the 4 screws and gently pull the speaker out of the housing.

Step 4. Remove the mic rotating assembly

First extend the mic from the headset then remove the larger screw that is in the middle of the rotating assembly. Remove the rotating assembly, bend the mic down so you can get at the wires coming into the headset.

Step 5. Remove the mini board

Remove the screw that holds in the mini board and desolder the wires. Compare your wire colors to this picture, if they are different write down the order so you can solder them back in correctly.

Correct order is Blue, Red, Green/Gold, Green, Gold, White. Gold and white are ran as a pair separate from the rest of the wires.

Step 6. Remove the plastic jacket

Take a screwdriver or knife and pry the plastic jacket up and out of it's socket. This may take some time, just go slow and be careful.

Step 7. Cut braided cable

Cut the cable going into the headset about 3 inches down from the plastic jacket. You can probably cut a little less, but I measured about 3 inches to cut off making sure I didn't keep the bad part of the cable.

Step 8. Cut the plastic jacket

Now you have to cut the plastic jacket to remove the old cable. You don't want to go all the way through to the other side. You are just trying to put a slit in the jacket to remove the old cable. I just used force and a sharp knife, but if you're afraid of going though use an exacto knife and make several passes until you can pull out the old cable.

Step 9. Stripping the wire

Cut the good end of the cable and strip the wire. Once the wire is stripped use a lighter to burn/melt the braided part to prevent fraying.

Step 10. Install plastic jacket, cut and tin wire

Take the plastic jacket and fit it close to the end of the braided covering, Adjust the length of your wires to match mine, tin the ends of the wire with solder. You can just use the soldering iron to melt the outside, then clean your iron to tin the wire. The fabric wires don't need to be stripped.

Step 11. Mount plastic jacket and solder wires.

It's now time to finish the repair. Pull the wire to get the plastic jacket seated correctly (be sure to make the slit face you), remount the mini board and solder the wires back on. You can use the tweezers to hold the wires so you can solder them in place. I ended up using a shoe to hold the headphones in place (didn't want to take a picture of that).

Step 12. Test

Test your repair, just put the rotating assembly and speaker back in without screws and test to make sure both sides work. Test the mic as well.

Step 13. Reassemble

Make sure to reroute the wires correctly on the rotating assembly. Also make sure the mic is extended when reassembling.

Finished pics

The only evidence of it being opened

Picture of the broken wire. I took off the braided covering and saw a small slit. Looks like this is the design flaw.

Feel free to share this with everyone, if you have any questions you know where to find me.
7 REPLIES 7

C4RN1
Level 9
Thought I would add some useful info. I bought some broken orion pro's on ebay for about $25 shipped. They had an issue with the left ear not producing any sound. I followed my tutorial and was able to repair these as well.

Also when I removed them from the box the left side was broken, so I had to come up with a creative fix.

I taped them with masking tape so they would stay in place during the repair.

I used a dremel to make a small hole and then drove a screw through the plastic. I then cut off the end of the screw flat, and painted it black to blend in a little better.

Here's a couple pictures of what it looks like.

Hope this helps everyone out.

AMOGamog
Level 7
Hi,
I have the same headset, purchased in June 13. I am very careful with my headphones but
noticed sound cutting out on the right ear piece.

This guide helped me fix the problem

Thanks 🙂

Korth
Level 14
OT, but I really like those brushed-metal curvy ROG badges. lol, anyone got some dead Orions they wanna sell cheap?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

C4RN1
Level 9
I was asked for the layout of the connector....here it is.

Right + is Red
Right - is Blue
Left + is Green/Gold
Left - is Green
Mic + is White
Mic - is Gold

Hope this helps!

C4RN1
Level 9
I was asked for the layout of the connector....here it is.

Right + is Red
Right - is Blue
Left + is Green/Gold
Left - is Green
Mic + is White
Mic - is Gold

Hope this helps!

C4RN1
Level 9
Still kicking around working perfectly 6 years later... I use them with my Xbox One and Astro A40 mixamp (yeah I still rock old tech).

Bought some new ear cups off amazon for the Sennheiser Urbanite XL (similar/same size). Modified to fit with the old Orion rings. Premium fit, really nice quality ear cups.