cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Asus Theta 7.1

Rick4
Level 7
Hi all,

I am interested in buying a pair of Asus Theta 7.1 but I would like to ask Asus staff and Theta owners some questions:

1) I have read lots of negative comments about headset front channel volume. It seems that volume level was good with firmware FW0034, but got worse with firmware FW0038 and FW0039.

Newer version v38, v39 amplify the back channels by lowering volume on the front channels. Because of this you can hear ambient sound (even over actors voice) more than you should. Front channel volume: v34 > v39 > v38 ('>' means greater than)

What is the latest firmware available and this low volume issue been fixed? Is Asus still working on the issue or has just abandoned any further firmware development?

2) What is the end-of-life support for this headset? I have seen that Asus released Armoury Crate for Windows 11 on March 17th 2022 but I would like to be sure that the headset will not be discontinued/unsupported anytime soon

I own a pair of real 5.1 headset (not Asus product) and drivers are no longer updated, resulting in some features not fully working after major Windows 10 update

3) What is the build quality? Some reviewers claim they are very sturdy and solid while others complain about cheap plastic prone to breaking. What is your opinion?

4) Is the pop/crackling issue been solved?

I have read some threads where people complain about this issue but I have not understood if this is hw or sw/firmware related

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121911-I-have-3-ASUS-Theta-Headsets-and-that-all-have-popp...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?120500-Rog-Theta-7-1-Popping-issue
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?120144-ROG-THETA-7-1-sound-criping-when-sound-starts

5) From what I can read, these headset feature "virtual bass" since there are 4 drivers per earcup and there is not a real driver for bass. How do bass sound when listening to music/playing games?

6) Do you feel the audio wire on the chest uncomfortable/annoying? I have read some people claiming it's heavy/rigid, especially the Y junction
11 REPLIES 11

Navish
Level 7
I never experienced (or either didn't notice) any kind of audio issues at all so i'll answer with what I've experienced so far.

Audio quality is great, bass requires a bit of manual tweak in armoury crate settings it's up to you on how it'll sound.

There's cheap plastic prone to breaking? yes, so far I've dropped it twice, the 2nd time it was a harder drop since my cat got scared and got tangled in the cable. (Check attachment, the blue part was repaired with superglue and the red one actually broke on both sides, left and right so I had to 3d print those two)

audio wire is barely noticeable, the only way you'll really be able to feel it if it's you play naked

Rick4
Level 7
Thanks for your feedback Navish

Have you had any problems with:

1) pop/crackling sounds?
2) drivers (especially if you are using Window 11)?

Rick4 wrote:
Thanks for your feedback Navish

Have you had any problems with:

1) pop/crackling sounds?
2) drivers (especially if you are using Window 11)?

Nope, as I mentioned before, no issues with sounds or audio at all (or either I didn't notice).

As for drivers, I've been using Win11 since the first dev. release and had no issues at all, it was always plug & play and of course keeping it updated with Armoury Crate

Rick4
Level 7
Thanks again for your feedback Navish

Do you find the volume to be low even when cranked up to the max as other users complain about?

Rick4 wrote:
Thanks again for your feedback Navish

Do you find the volume to be low even when cranked up to the max as other users complain about?

These are my volume settings and they're quite loud already

There seems to be some kind of software that limits the volume for certain types of listening, especially in 7.1 mode. As an example, music is definitely too quite and I find I have to manually switch to stereo to get a good listening experience. I tried using a program that pre boosted the volume for the device but that only worked so well. There seems to be a volume limit it reaches and attempts to correct no matter what I do. In games and movies however, I dont have to crank the volume at all. I can keep it around 50% or so and it gives rich and full sound. Note that I have tried many different music players, all with the same result.

I am genuinely considering buying a separate headset just for music listening, which is a shame because the audio quality is absolutely superb.

I have never had such expensive headphones before. The last 2 units have been 3 times cheaper, but too also real 5.1 analog and 5.1 digital.
I can't figure it out with the software yet, because the sound doesn't change when changing the type.
At the moment, in games, steps are heard quieter than other sounds, but you need just the opposite.
But you can put up with this, which cannot be said about ergonomics. Even a lot of weight is not a minus. There is no place for the auricle. Pillows are too soft. The ear is pressed very hard and after several days it hurts. And this alone makes me regret every cent I've ever dropped. Their shape is not made according to the shape of the auricle, but in the other direction. And this leads to the fact that the headphone designer does not understand his business and it is very upsetting that such expensive headphones can be so not ergonomic.
Maybe someone has found a solution how make to not press the ears? I have a 3d printer, maybe I can somehow try to make an adapter.... I don't know. I'm sad.

Gunbox wrote:
Maybe someone has found a solution how make to not press the ears? I have a 3d printer, maybe I can somehow try to make an adapter.... I don't know. I'm sad.

The simplest solution would be replacement ear cushions. Generic ear cushions are an oval shape but they should be flexible enough to fit the shape of the theta. Just make sure they are the kind that tuck around the edge like the ones on the Theta do. There are a wide variety of thicknesses and softness, as well as cloth vs leather materials.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The simplest solution would be replacement ear cushions. Generic ear cushions are an oval shape but they should be flexible enough to fit the shape of the theta. Just make sure they are the kind that tuck around the edge like the ones on the Theta do. There are a wide variety of thicknesses and softness, as well as cloth vs leather materials.

You probably don't understand what I'm talking about. There are specifically 2 directions that do not coincide with the ear.
1. Too soft cushions + too big spring to hold such heavy headphones on the head. The result - the earpiece itself is pressed against the ear.
2. The shape does not fit the ear. Someone had a good sense of humor. See picture.

Due to too much pressure, the ear pads deform and touch the ear. I just used ergonomic ears 3 times cheaper and did not consider the possibility that such expensive headphones would have a design similar to headphones for 20EUR. I don't know what to do with it... maybe stuff a firmer foam into the ear cushions myself. I need some kind of solution because I can't return the headphones to the seller because I ordered them from abroad and I can't use them anymore because my ears hurt.