cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centurion vs Theta

Martines91
Level 7
Hi all,

So I currently own the Centurion 7.1 headset, but I've noticed there's a new player on the market Theta 7.1, are there any differences or is it just the model replacement? Should I start looking after it or ignore for now and keep Centurion?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

TheMajekalBum
Level 8
I'm also wondering about this. I got my centurion a month ago and I must admit I didn't really do much research on it. I assumed it was RGB and was a bit disappointed to find it was only 2 modes of red. I love the way they sound though and I've noticed the they are still at the premium price point compared to the new line up. Either way, I want my RGB to play together but I also want the most premium option. Bonus points if all the audio options are controlled through armory crate, trying to have as few "extra" programs installed as possible.

Just got my centurion as a birthday gift. I am really liking the sound. Borderlands GOTY Enhanced sounds amazing. Each sniper shot echos throughout like thunder. I believe the Theta 7.1 works with the armory crate. Since its got Aura you will be able to change RGB settings there. Theta 7.1 has 4 drivers in each ear with a "virtual bass" driver where as the Centurion has 5 drives with a dedicated subwoofer drive. Reminds me of the original Gladius how it only has red LEDs and the Gladius II has RGB and armory crate support.

Chiller
Level 7
I have the Theta 7.1, and I'm kind of divided. The audio and build quality is great. The cups are really large, which makes them comfortable to wear, but also bulky when transporting.
My issues are the software and volume.
The volume is way to low, when set to max it's about half of what I'd expected. I have tried audio boosters, but that distorts the quality. I hope it will be resolved in the next firmware update.
The only thing that Armoury Crate can control on the Theta is the lighting, and it doesn't do it well, so I reverted to the regular Armoury. That goes for the Gladius II i have, as well. I hope the Armoury Crate can take over all the function of Armoury i the future.

asim1999
Level 7
Martines91 wrote:
Hi all,

So I currently own the Centurion 7.1 headset, but I've noticed there's a new player on the market Theta 7.1, are there any differences or is it just the model replacement? Should I start looking after it or ignore for now and keep Centurion?

Thanks

I bought a Theta last month after discovering it. I was initially set on the Centurion but the Theta seems like it is the direct successor to it and it was slightly cheaper where i am
The differences i have come across when comparing both:
1) Theta is RGB (most obvious difference)
2) No ugly base station for the Theta, its a straight USB connection to the PC (type C too, but a type A adapter is provided)
3) Direct node cancellation on the mic itself, the centurion used its base station for noise cancelling, and according to most of the reviews ive seen, it sucks
4) Most importantly: LARGER DRIVERS. By implementing a virtual subwoofer, the drivers in the Theta are larger, leading to better sound quality. The rear drivers are now 50% larger at 30mm, compared to 20mm on the centurion

Hope that helps!

BOBCAMO
Level 8
i'm probably late to this post. but came across it a few times.
i personally have been drooling over the Asus ROG Centurion 7.1 for a few years now, never had the money to get them... granted i wish i had a way to test these headsets before getting them... but i've been looking into the theta's since the Asus ROG Centurion are way higher priced right now... $350-$400... and i'm just soooo iffy towards the theta's... because of the lacking of the DAC/station as i do want that and i hear a lot about the bass not being great along with the volumes being super low on them... being powered and using USB-C you'd think it'd have more power with volume and data transfer so there shouldn't be an excuse for that as that port can put out a lot. i'm just kinda torn between the two... I've heard bad about the Centurion having easily broken parts in certain area's, but i think i'd still choose them over almost all other true 7.1 headset's. i have been also looking at the Asus ROG Strix 7.1 since their still being sold and not having jacked up prices, but i've seen reviews saying the centurion is way better than those, only plus was the mic was better on the strix, which i don't care too much about that...

lLegendaary
Level 9
Actually Theta 7.1 better than Centurion in Driver & Firmware .
Both of them are good .
But for firmware driver and better Direction i use Theta 7.1 some games need 0034 firmware /others may need 0039
So you don't destruct sound coming from the game with loudness and More bass
The issue with Both > Is to disable Bass which may annoying in some game base on direction like FPS games .
Note :
In-app there is option for disabling bass boss but it doesn't effect anything in games , I just wish if we can really disable Bass .

lLegendaary wrote:
Actually Theta 7.1 better than Centurion in Driver & Firmware .
Both of them are good .
But for firmware driver and better Direction i use Theta 7.1 some games need 0034 firmware /others may need 0039
So you don't destruct sound coming from the game with loudness and More bass
The issue with Both > Is to disable Bass which may annoying in some game base on direction like FPS games .
Note :
In-app there is option for disabling bass boss but it doesn't effect anything in games , I just wish if we can really disable Bass .

ok, well i'll debate getting the theta then, i do like the specs of it for the highs an such and having better drivers(speakers). just... i really liked everything with the centurions. the low volume thing makes me VERY iffy as a game like PUBG for instance, for me i have to have a software to boost the audio or have something DAC related to boost it which... yeah.... no other game do i have issues with them not being loud enough. most games i have to turn them down lol.
but direction is my biggest thing with these true surround sound headsets, i hear the difference. so many always talk down about them compared to virtual and stereo, me, i hear a huge difference... i had a pair of Rosewill 5.1-Channel HTS-8206 headset and i loved them, they had a vibration function for base and you could choose off, 1 and 2 which was very cool. wanted to get them again since i loved them so much, but can't seem to find them to buy them again. but even having those compared with my current Logitech G935 7.1 virtual, i still notice the differences greatly. the G935 are good, but not like true...

but thanks for your input and such as i am very particular about these headsets and i do also like to have bass, but not a huge deal. i'm more worried about quality, directional, longevity and volume.

EDIT:
also, i noticed you said about the base, from what it sounded like to me is that they did with the theta's like the rosewill headset with a vibration thing instead of an actual subwoofer/speaker for bass, wasn't sure if that was the case. but wasn't sure how any of it works since i haven't had a hands on with them my self.