cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTX 4080 strix oc fans revving up and down 100% fan speed

Silverhaze_NL
Level 9

Hi,

Since a couple of weeks while playing some games my fans go bezerk. 

Was just checking with GPU-Z and my GPU runs on 72c but my GPU hotspot is 96c at that moment. Could this be the case my fans go crazy? I tried some fan curve setting in MSI Afterburner but as soon the hotspot reaches around 96c the fans go full throttle. 

Do i need to repaste it and replace thermal pads?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I use MSI afterburner for years now with a custom fan speed for al my GPU's. 

The 4080 was running fine for almost a year now, the only thing that changed for me was going from a 1440p monitor to a 4k 240hz monitor, so the GPU has more load and that is the reason i'm seeing these high temps on the hot spot. There was a difference between the gpu and hot spot around 30c.

After i repaste the gpu yesterday the difference between them now is 12c and that's good! Im running the latest firmware on GPU and Bios, the problem is 100% the thermal paste leaking out of the sides. I used a much thicker paste now, so lets see if this holds up the next couple of weeks.

So for now my problem has been resolved, temps looking much much better now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @Silverhaze_NL,

That hotspot is on the high side. GPU may require new thermal application, yes. If fan behaviour seems erratic, ensure no other tools are open that are polling the GPU.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Do i void the warranty if i do this myself? Or do i RMA it? Still got warranty on the card. Should be a fairly easy job repasting it. 

No wonder my GPU was overheating, i measured hotspot temps around 106c. There was allmost not thermal paste left on the core. I replaced it with new paste and temps are way better now. 

I bought this GPU a year ago, never had this problem before on older cards. 

1000023551.gif

1000023550.gif

1000023547.jpg

Hi @Silverhaze_NL ,

have you been using GPU Tweak III for performance tuning, cooling control, and system monitoring? 

You can manually adjust the fan speed. 

[Graphic Card] ASUS GPU Tweak III Introduction | Official Support | ASUS Global

In general usage, the GPU temperature is typically around how many degrees? What about the fan speed? 

Please note: if the GPU temperature and Hotspot temperature are ≤95℃, and the FAN RPM is maintained at around 2200 or below, it's considered normal. Have you confirmed that the graphics card driver has been updated to the latest version? What is your current BIOS version? After reapplying the thermal paste, has the issue of high GPU temperature been resolved?
Thank you.

I use MSI afterburner for years now with a custom fan speed for al my GPU's. 

The 4080 was running fine for almost a year now, the only thing that changed for me was going from a 1440p monitor to a 4k 240hz monitor, so the GPU has more load and that is the reason i'm seeing these high temps on the hot spot. There was a difference between the gpu and hot spot around 30c.

After i repaste the gpu yesterday the difference between them now is 12c and that's good! Im running the latest firmware on GPU and Bios, the problem is 100% the thermal paste leaking out of the sides. I used a much thicker paste now, so lets see if this holds up the next couple of weeks.

So for now my problem has been resolved, temps looking much much better now.