cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTX 3080 STRIX 12gb, LOUD coil whine sound?! To be expected?

User3080
Level 7

Hi there, 

Recently got a replacement RMA of a RTX 3080 12gb, due to my previous 3080 Asus TUF display port 1 not working. 

Got this Strix replacement, and i noticed how LOUD the coil whine is, especially when i am in the IN game menu for a game like BF2042, or even during gameplay for certain games like Red Dead 2, where i would hear this loud coil whine sound. Now, i know this is to be expected for a big card, but i have to say the sound is unbearable. 

My previous 3080 tuf did have coil whine, but it was no where close to my current strx 3080's coil whine sound. 

I am able to minimize the sound by heavily undervolting. And i was given another RMA replacement by Asus but for the same exact card model. Where i am thinking i may just end up in the same situation that i am in now? 

Is there anything i can do to minimize the coil whine sound issue? And, i noticed that whenever i would browse the net, and have multiple tabs open. My GPU fan keeps spinning for a short while, is it worth having my card run at, lets say 30 to 40% power limit when just using the web? 

1 REPLY 1

Aureliannn_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @User3080 ,

based on your question, if you worried about the coil whine issue.
It is suggest that you can try to reduce the power limit of the GPU, or undervolting.
By doing these, it can sometime reduce the intensity of coil whine.
You need to make sure that all the component is well connect not being loose.
You can also refer to the following link:
[Graphic card] Sometimes there is a slight high-frequency noise
Thank you.

Providing detailed device specifications (MB/CPU/GPU/PSU, etc.) and the respective driver versions, OS version, and BIOS version will help us analyze the issue more effectively.