cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix 4090 OC: when I turn off the pc the gpu power LED flashes 4 times and turns off.

Theotorm80
Level 8

Hi everyone. I have a strix 4090 OC connected to a Z790 Hero motherboard and Corsair AX1600i power supply. The GPU is powered with the original corsair PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 600W cable (see photo).

imagemagic (1).jpeg

 I noticed that when I turn off the pc and the psu cuts power to the motherboard, the power LED on my strix 4090 flashes 4 times and then goes off. It's normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLPq3w3PnDk 

I want to clarify that when the pc is on the LED is off...same thing when the pc it's off. I was worried that it flashes 4 times when I turn off the pc. What do you think about it? I attach video showing the problem. A thousand thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Theotorm80 .

Honestly, this is nothing to worry about.
Because different PSUs have different power-down behaviors, the LED indications may operate differently.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Theotorm80 .

When the PC is powered on or off, does the ROG Strix RTX 4090 have the red indication light on?
It may be that the power supply is unstable based on the condition you described and the video you shared.
Could you reconnect all the cables on the graphics card to see if the flashing light goes off?

Jiaszzz_ROG_0-1681370717429.png

Besides flashing the red light four times, is there any other abnormality?

Thank you.

Hello and thanks a lot for the reply.
As I explained, when the PC is on and when it is off, the GPU Power light is absolutely off. The flashing 4 times occurs EXCLUSIVELY (as seen in the video) when I shut down the system from windows (shutdown). The flashing of the gpu power occurs EXACTLY when the pc shuts down and the motherboard turns off. I checked and the cables are fully seated and as shown I am using the original corsair PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 600W cable. Do you think it could be a problem? I think the gpu detects no power when the PSU cuts power to the pci-express port. That's why the LED flashes 4 times. What do you think about it? Anyway, I repeat, the gpu power led is off both when the PC is on...and when the PC is off. So the power supply should be correct right? thank you very much and I await your reply.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Theotorm80 

It is recommended that you refer to [Graphics card] Power cable detect LED mechanism description of RTX3090TI/RTX4090/4080/4070TI series and confirm how you connect the graphics card.
The LED light is flickering, though, which is probably due to the unsteady power supply during shutdown.
Please keep an eye out to see if there are any other anomalies.

Thank you.

Thanks a lot for the answer. But isn't this normal? But then this flashing 4 times when I shutdown the pc and signals unstable current during shutdown can it damage my gpu? this is what I want to understand. I checked the led table you sent me (as I said I use the original Corsair PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 600W cable) and my card and the led behaves as shown in the first column (even if I don't have a 3.0 psu but only cable original corsair 12VHPWR!

Screenshot_20230414_112951_Samsung Internet.jpg

) Therefore:
Cable not inserted: LED ON
Cable inserted PC off: LED OFF
Cable inserted PC On: LED OFF

all normal? I'm very worried about those three flashes of the LED when I turn off the pc. So you can tell me it's not normal? Can it damage my card? The cables are plugged in correctly and I've checked over and over again. I don't see any other anomalies or LED lighting while using the PC.
Waiting for your answer because I'm worried.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Theotorm80 .

A generally accepted rule is that if the flickering does not impact the usage, it will not have any effect.
However, if you have any doubts, we suggest cross-testing with other power supply units and using the original PSU accessory cables. It is not recommended to have too many cable transfers.

Thank you.

thanks, but my question is only this: is it normal to flicker WHEN THE POWER SUPPLY TURNS OFF THE POWER? I'm not talking with the PC off or on, BUT ONLY WHEN THE PC HAS COMPLETED THE SHUTDOWN. Not a difficult question in my opinion. When using the PC, the LED is always off...it flickers only when the shutdown is complete. then it stays off!

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Theotorm80 .

Honestly, this is nothing to worry about.
Because different PSUs have different power-down behaviors, the LED indications may operate differently.

Thank you.