cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus rtx 4070 dual power draw

renan12369
Level 10

Hi ,

The power limit on this card is 200w + 8% = 216w (108% power limit in Afterburner) .

The card never draws more than 200w in games and benchmarks .

It lowers voltage and frequency to stay under this limit .

The card only has 1x 8 pin connector .

Is it a bios /drivers issue ?

My rig :

ryzen 5600/ Asus tuf b550 gaming plus / Rtx 4070 / Seasonic p-760

Thanks

73 REPLIES 73

renan12369
Level 10

Hi guys,

The 8-pin power connector supplies 150w + an additional 75w from the pcie x16 slot for a maximum of 225w.

You want to keep under 225w to avoid damaging something.

You may have to stress it harder to get it to draw more wattage, but I don't see the point.

Too high of gpu temp will also throttle voltage and clock speeds.

voodoofx
Level 7

same issue for me

xeromist

Hi guys, can you check if you see the same thing in GPU Tweak? ASUS is going to want to see the power targets in their own software.

As Nate already mentioned, the overall power is limited by the supply from a single 8-pin connector. It might be that the BIOS is hard limited regardless of a higher power target in software.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

hi,

Same issue with GPU tweak 3 .

Nvidia drivers registred the 216 w power limit but the card still lowers voltage and frequency to stay under 200w .

power.jpg

test.jpg

The card is power limited.

Hello, performance cap reason states power at 187W. In some instances, Furmark is current limited due to the nature of the stress test. Try using 3DMark with the PT at 108% and the voltage slider at stock. Again, GPU Boost algorithm is determined by a multitude of factors and load, not to mention CPU limited situations, so it's not oncommon to see less than max TDP at all times.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I tried 3d mark time spy with various settings (voltage, powerlimit , fan speed) and same issue .

Also tried gaming (Cyberpunk 2077) .

You can see in gpu Z the card is already power limited at 187w .

Is GPUZ actually indicating a PWR limit in those things as well? Or are you simply observing the power draw?
Are you at 1080p, as there may be a bottleneck there too with your CPU.

Port Royal can be more power-hungry, perhaps try this test and look for peak draw. Regardless, if we're hitting a PWR limit it will be for a valid reason.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I was playing at 1400p and 4k .

I disabled RT and DLSS . Power draw was just under 200w with 1v-1.045v and still power limited .

I think this is a bios issue .

There's no reason to lower voltage when gpu is at 50°C and not even close to power limit (216w) .

As Xeromist said the bios might be hard limited to 200w.