ASUS Z790 TUF WIFI D4 + i7-14700KF do not read dual channel

TheOnlyWERF
Level 7

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 4080 SUPER 16GB
CPU: i7-14700KF
MBO: Z790 TUF WIFI D4 (last BIOS 1656)
RAM: 2x2x16 CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3600MHz
WC: i150 CORSAIR

I have one problem with dual channel reading: when I use any CPU from 12th and 13th gen, all the RAM channels read as they should. But when I use my i7-14700KF (14th gen), it only reads one channel. Thoughts? Anyone with the same problem?

I've already tried other RAMs, same problem.
I've already updated the BIOS to the last version.

5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello @TheOnlyWERF 

Are you saying that when the 14700KF is installed, it doesn't read from either A2 or B2?

Are you using a CPU Contact Frame?

Does the behaviour occur at Optimised Defaults? (No XMP Overclocking)?

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

It doesn't read the 3°th and 4°th RAM slots. I'm not using a contact frame. This behaviour occurs in any way, with or without overclocking.

If the issue is only with the 14th gen CPU, I would inspect the pin pad on the CPU and ensure the contacts are clean. If still no success, it could be due to the curvature of the CPU IHS resulting in poor contact, cooler mounting issue or an issue with the CPU itself.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

We've tried reassembling the setup more than once, but no apparent damage. Could it be a momentary incompatibility (which would depend on the BIOS) or a defect in the CPU itself?

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @TheOnlyWERF 

Could you please clarify if this issue occurred after the PC was first built or after using it for some time and occurred following any recent changes, such as a BIOS update or the connection of an external device?
May I inquire how you confirmed that the i7-14700KF is not using dual-channel memory access?
Based on the information provided, are you currently using two kits of identical memory modules?
We suggest referring to the purchasing and installation guide located at the top left corner of the TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI D4 memory QVL page:

Ensure that all memory modules are from the same validated memory kit. 

Do not mix DIMMs from different memory kits—even if they are the same brand and model (e.g., two DIMMs each from two different memory kits). 

Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in a failure to boot and compatibility issues. 

In particular, the stability of a system with mixed DIMMs cannot be guaranteed when XMP (Intel)/D.O.C.P (AMD)/EXPO (AMD)/AEMP/AEMPII is enabled. 

For example, enabling XMP (Intel)/D.O.C.P (AMD)/EXPO (AMD)/AEMP/AEMPII to speeds above DDR5 4800MHz or above DDR4 3200MHz could result in an unstable system.

Please follow the instructions in the manual to install two identical memory modules from the same kit into DIMM_A2 and B2 slots for reconfirmation.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂