cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper m.2 x 16 card - not recognizing

milkbuff
Level 7
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the ROG forums, so, wassup.

I have a ProArt z690 Creator Wifi mobo, and I'm trying to connect the Asus Hyper m2. x16 PCI e card to it. I have it installed, and it detects one of four m.2 SSDs I have attached to the expansion card. Under my BIOS I do not see the option in Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration for the Hyper M.2X16 Enable/Disable. Has anyone else experienced this? In search for the interwebs, it appears everyone else's Asus mobo has this option, but not on the z690 Creator?!?

I have also removed the GPU and put the expansion card in PCI slot 1, and gotten the same results.

All the m.2 sticks are the same: Samsung EVO980 2TB.

I'm fiending to get this setup because this is the reason why I put together this particular build. :rolleyes:
2 REPLIES 2

Murph_9000
Level 14
If it's the HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 CARD, the number of M.2 drives supported depends on the PCIe lanes available on the motherboard slot used for it.

On your ProArt Z690 Creator board, PCIEX16(G5)_1 and PCIEX16(G5)_2 share the 16 GPU lanes from the Intel CPU; either as PCIEX16(G5)_1 in x16 mode and PCIEX16(G5)_2 disabled, or both in x8 mode. PCIEX16(G3) can only do x4 mode. These are limitations of the Intel Z690 platform, rather than something ASUS chose (they have some choice in how they present the lanes, but the Z690 platform does not have the ability to do more than a single x16).

If you want to run 4 M.2 drives on the Hyper card, it would have to go in the top PCIe slot (PCIEX16(G5)_1), PCIEX16(G5)_2 would need to be empty and disabled, and you would only have the PCIEX16(G3) 3.0 x4 slot available for a GPU (which probably isn't going to be a great config if you need GPU performance, really not recommended). If you don't need GPU performance, for something like a file/database server, use the top slot in x16 mode for the Hyper card and use the integrated Intel GPU in the CPU.

The best you can do on Z690 and Z790 to have additional M.2 slots, while not putting a nasty bottleneck on the GPU, is to put the board into x8/x8 mode; running the GPU at x8 and 2 M.2 drives on the Hyper card in the other x16 slot. The lowest (G3) slot is physically x16 but only wired with x4 lanes; it can only support a single M.2 drive.

mstout2001
Level 7
milkbuff wrote:
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the ROG forums, so, wassup.

I have a ProArt z690 Creator Wifi mobo, and I'm trying to connect the Asus Hyper m2. x16 PCI e card to it. I have it installed, and it detects one of four m.2 SSDs I have attached to the expansion card. Under my BIOS I do not see the option in Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration for the Hyper M.2X16 Enable/Disable. Has anyone else experienced this? In search for the interwebs, it appears everyone else's Asus mobo has this option, but not on the z690 Creator?!?

I have also removed the GPU and put the expansion card in PCI slot 1, and gotten the same results.

All the m.2 sticks are the same: Samsung EVO980 2TB.

I'm fiending to get this setup because this is the reason why I put together this particular build. :rolleyes:

I had the same issue. I had my RTX 3070 card in the first PCI-E slot and The hyper card in second. But I switched that and presto after I set the bios to raid mode and left the rest of the settings where they should be the card with both M.2 showed up and you can see it in raid Xpert. I set up a Raid 1 with my drives but bottom line is switch slots