Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x99 Dluxe/ROG Swift "Fantasma nella Macchina"

1sthurricane
Level 7
Nothing fancy,but she is my new mistress.:rolleyes:
15 REPLIES 15

1sthurricane wrote:
I spent the money all at once on this build,my past 3 or 4 AMD builds I was upgrading a piece of hardware(PSU/mobo/video cards/memory)every two or three months which was quite expensive over time.I shot my load here and hope the uber expensive x99 hardware holds.....and pray I can get a few years without upgrading anything.

I understand that well enough.

But there's already a newer-and-better GPU available. More newer-and-better GPUs just a season or two away. It's only a matter of time before Intel announces a newer-and-better LGA2011-3 CPU, maybe (making this up) an "i7-5970X" with enough PCIe to support x16/x16/x16 GPUs. Faster and bigger and faster and bigger DDR4 is, as always, just around the corner. The greatest SSDs this year are slow in comparison with the storage interfaces of next year.

You and I already have top-tier platforms which are somewhat overkill anyhow. We don't really need to upgrade for a while. But we may really want to upgrade nonetheless, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I understand that well enough.

But there's already a newer-and-better GPU available. More newer-and-better GPUs just a season or two away. It's only a matter of time before Intel announces a newer-and-better LGA2011-3 CPU, maybe (making this up) an "i7-5970X" with enough PCIe to support x16/x16/x16 GPUs. Faster and bigger and faster and bigger DDR4 is, as always, just around the corner. The greatest SSDs this year are slow in comparison with the storage interfaces of next year.

You and I already have top-tier platforms which are somewhat overkill anyhow. We don't really need to upgrade for a while. But we may really want to upgrade nonetheless, lol.
I know as you do....there is always the best/new hunk of hardware aroud the corner...lol,I think the 6 core 5930 should hold me for awhile for gaming,my concern is the M2 storage....watching carefully...If my only upgrades are a couple EVGA TI series cards for SLI and and s0me new M2 srorage...I can bee happy.Korth,you live in BC....what reflects well in snow....or when using something white...your thoughts buddy,I anyone of the 3or 4 0f us that has a vision and some mad enjinneering skizzzz..What say you all...

Antronman
Level 10
Specs?

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm still a little bit old fashioned 😉

NZXT has some nice coolers.

If you're not too afraid of voiding your warranty, you can remove the dress-up and scrape off the green tinge, as well as painting the shroud itself white.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Specs?

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm still a little bit old fashioned 😉

NZXT has some nice coolers.

If you're not too afraid of voiding your warranty, you can remove the dress-up and scrape off the green tinge, as well as painting the shroud itself white.
yeah,I have to get that green out.

1sthurricane
Level 7
I wonder if I could find a coolant which would look like milk but.....have either a "silverflake" metalic peices to reflect the lighting or a "black' reflective' type.....ie:something similar to my "metalic' paints I use for my military figures...they have hundreds of small flakes of reflective material.Just a thought.I am in the process of drawing up a design for a tubular base that will incorporate fans to pull massive amounts of cool air to the bottom of the Air 540....the bottom of the case needs a dremel taken to her and a few sweet Corsair 140mm's mounted.

Korth
Level 14
Snow in BC??? You must be mad! We only get rain, lots of rain.

I'm not particularly impressed with current M.2 offerings. PCIe SSD looks like a better way to go, beating products like the Phoenix Blade is going to be a tall order. Plus I haven't yet seen any "cool" M.2 units, black PCBs emblazoned with a ROG logo and some useless LEDs, lol.

There are a few coolant fluids available for PCs which contain suspended pearl flake, reflective flake, metallic flake, etc. They are indeed most awesome to behold. But they tend to require frequent maintenance, cleaning, and takeaparts of the loop - over time the heavy particles tend to accumulate in tight places, they gunk up the pipes, they block the rad, they jam moving parts in the pump. I've seen worklogs where guys experiment with things like magnetic pumps and variable-pressure systems, colloidal semi-fluids, a lot of great ideas, but none that really work (yet). They more you know, the more you learn, the more you geek - the more you discover that somebody else has already taken it past the next extreme. Some of these guys even apply their advanced degrees in fluid dynamics and organic chemistry to the task of devising a "perfect" coolant fluid for their PC loops, lol.

Milky translucent coolants are now fairly common. UV-reactive, phosphorescent, and even colour-changing "mood" coolants are also available.

Many builders seem to have a "display mode" where they pull out all the bling and swag whenever showing their PC mods off at LAN events or somesuch - but then they have their duller "normal mode" where a lot of the excitement gets put away so their machines can actually be used on a daily basis with much less headache and hassle and expense.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]