cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Hero + Fractal R4/i7 4770K Build

cypone_x
Level 7
Finished the VI Hero build. I'm still not sure as to what GPU to put in this box. I have been going back and forth between the EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB SC or a similar card. I don't have the budget for a 780 so I am limited by options. I have looked at a 760 4GB vs the 770 2GB, etc. Anyway, the i7-4770K is still running at stock as I JUST finished the build and still need to run some monitoring software, etc. on a stable stock build before I start messing around with OC'ing and voltage increases, etc. It's a pretty standard build, nothing very special about it except for me obviously. It is a monster compared to what I was running before. I will spare you dread in reading what those spec's are but let's just say it has been YEARS since I have built a new box.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks

http://imgur.com/a/L0fFE

Intel i7-4770K
ASUS Maximus VI Hero
Fractal R4 Black Pearl (Windowed)
Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler
8GB G.Skill Sniper 2133
Seasonic 750KM3
Samsung 120GB EVO
WD 1TB Black
GPU - Undecided - suggestions welcome 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
Go with HWmonitor - it is efficient and does not require a install. So not a resource hog and leaves nothing behind.

As to what video card to get now, it all depends on what you are going to be doing with your system. You do not mention that so not really able to comment.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/815

Have a play around here and see which card does what you want it to do and at what price point.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Indeed.. HWMonitor was one of the first things I am going to install. 🙂

Also, I am looking at an Asus VS247H-P 23.6-Inch monitor which gives me 1920x1080. I would go 27" but you know.. budget. As far as what I would like to do as gaming is concerned. Well, I will use Watch Dogs as a very high benchmark as it is offered with the 760/770. I would like to be able to play it, perhaps not on the max. settings but playable at least. I will not be using a 2 - 3 monitor setup anytime soon either.

One thing to take into consideration is that the only reason I was able to get the CPU/Motherboard was because of the price. I found a bundled deal that was only available at the store for that weekend. So I was able to save about $130 vs. purchasing them from newegg/amazon. Luckily, they both were not DOA and work so far. Knock on wood (and I did).

So, because of that deal.. I ended up with those two parts which makes it a gaming build to most but for me, gaming is not the priority. Although I will be playing games from time-to-time. So the budget part.. which is indeed important. I would honestly like to spend at most $300 which I know, puts me say $20 - $30 from a 4GB 760 or a 2GB 770. I honestly have not looked at other cards other than EVGA Nvidia 700 series cards.

I hope that helps even though I know it seems like I am somewhat answering my own question, it still helps to get feedback from those that have the actual hardware and/or similar setups. You never know, there is a wealth of knowledge out there and I'm not too proud to admit that for me, it's been awhile since I have been able to look at new or even fairly new parts. So either way, I'm just happy I was able to pull the build off from a financial standpoint.

Thanks!

when you only need to play watchdogs, or other ubisoft titles, take a nvidia card... ubisoft and nvidia are partners since mittle of 2013, and when you will have all effects on this game take a gtx 770.... they do their work easy nice (they are old 680er cards with probably better power layout... -bf you can play on 1080p easy nice) and for 1080p the 2gb are also good.. i would take the gtx770 because they have ~400more shaders as a gtx760... and this means more power.. (760 are only in sli nice i think... -statistic more power than a titan when you have two of it) but when you have only 300dollars take 1 770er card.. (when you only play bf's/MoH/etz. then you can take a readon... -->havoc physik engine)

edit:/ but its not so clear for me what's the real engine of Watchdogs... (PhysX or they'r own... ) but what you will have with an nvidia card is Ambient Occlusion and txaa... (ubisoft was saying) but this is a reason for me to buy nvidia 😉 this will looks much better with these effects

edit2:/ when you will have the air cooler buy a spezial layout (not these cards with 1radial fan, some card lice a asus dcII 770 or some like the msi hawk cards
Greez JT

HiVizMan
Level 40
When you buy graphic cards you need to buy smart.

For example here are a couple of myths that need to be busted.

Higher price is better. Well not really.
Reference cards - these are cards that have the default cooler on and also are the standard PCB. Now you can buy any brand, yes any brand, and they will be the same card. The same factory makes them and they have different branding slapped on to them.

OC cards cost more and are not really worth the money because you can do the same OC or better your self using Afterburner software and then forget about the OC and just get on with using the card.

If you look at the pricing of the two cards you have mentioned, look also at the similar price point for AMD cards. The performance in game and in real world is certainly with AMD when it comes to price right now. Go to the link I posted and see what you get when you compare some AMD cards in the same price range with the 770.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.