cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT Tower 900

Nate152
Hello everyone,

I thought I would share some pics with the start of a Thermaltake Tower 900 build. I chose this case because it supports two 560mm radiators and two pumps/reservoirs for two liquid cooling loops. What I'm after is silent, high performance cooling.

Case - Thermaltake Tower 900
Motherboard - ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi
CPU - i7 12700KF
Memory - Kingston Fury Beast 16GB 6000MT/s
GPU - ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC
SSD - Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB
Fan controller - Lamptron FC5-V3
Case fans - 2x Gelid Solutions Wing 14 uv Blue in the front and 2x stock 140mm fans in the rear
PSU - EVGA Supernova 1600w T2 Titanium

Water cooling:

Fittings - EK Quantum Torque STC 10/16mm (3/8 x 5/8)
CPU water block - EK Quantum velocity2
GPU water block (soon to come) - EK Quantum Vector2 ABP set
Pump/Res - 2x Swiftech Maelstrom X300 D5 V2
Radiators - 2x Hardware Labs SR2 560 MP
Radiator fans - 8x Thermaltake Ring 14 Blue
Tubing - Koolance uv/clear 3/8 x 5/8 soft tubing
Coolant - Koolance 702 uv blue
Temperature sensors - 2x Alphacool Eiszapfen flat stop plug sensors- chrome

I like how the Tower 900 is laid out with the hardware in the front and the radiators in the back, there are three glass panels to see in the front and both sides. But, I have two cons with this case.

1) It's Big, it's Bulky and it's Heavy. Empty it weighs 54 pounds, by the time it's built expect it to weigh 100 pounds.

2) Airflow - This case is meant for liquid cooling EVERYTHING and the front does not offer proper airflow, you get one exhaust fan above the motherboard and a hard drive fan mount in the center of the case. The vents at the bottom allow cool air to be drawn in.

Other than that, it's a solid well built pc case.

As I'm waiting to get a few more things, I went ahead and made a few changes. I took the two stock 140mm fans and put them on the back panel as exhaust and added two 140mm uv blue fans. There are no hard drives, it's just to help move air and hopefully give off a uv glow.

I flushed the radiators with hot distilled water, I didn't use any chemicals such as Mayems blitz or vinegar. The one radiator took 40 flushes, yes 40, until absolutely nothing came out. If I saw one particle it got it again, the other radiator took only 10 flushes.

A tip about the HWL radiators - I don't know if this holds true with all their radiators but the screws HWL provide with the SR2 560 MP are not long enough to use with a mounting bracket, you'll need to purchase 4x30mm screws to use a mounting bracket.

The Tower 900 comes with pump/reservoir mounting brackets for Thermaltake's pumps/reservoirs and they didn't match up with the Swiftech Maelstrom pump/res combos.

So out came their mounting brackets and I drilled holes in the bottom of the case to mount them, but I ran into an issue here too. The Swiftech mounting brackets are too wide, I had to make four cuts to get them to fit flush on the bottom.

Two cuts for each pump/res, this is one.

After that, they test fit nicely.

More to come.
44 REPLIES 44

Nate152
I had to get an argb extension cable for the Swiftech Iris MB Link.

The ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi has three argb headers and one rgb header, this worked out perfect.

ARGB Header 1 - Velocity2 cpu water block
ARGB Header 2 - Both pump/res combos
ARGB Header 3 - Vector2 gpu water block

RGB header - Thermaltake rgb plate

Today I'll install the Lamptron FC5-V3 fan controller and connect everything to it, it has 6 channels, 30 watts per channel.

It will go like this:

Channel 1 - Left side radiator fans and temp sensor (outflow gpu side)
Channel 2 - Right side radiator fans and temp sensor (outflow cpu side)
Channel 3 - The two uv blue case fans in the front
Channel 4 - The two back panel exhaust fans
Channel 5 - Left side uv led's
Channel 6 - Right side uv led's

Nate152
To make doing this the easiest I made the cables a little longer than they need to be, this way I can pull them through and connect all the cables, then just slide it in and mount with 4 screws.

Nate152
As of right now the EK Vector2 gpu water block is scheduled for a delivery date of august 5th, I can't guarantee I can get it then so until I can, I'm going to install the ROG Strix 3090 ti LC OC and use it as is. There isn't any place to mount a 240mm radiator in the front so my plan is to hang the radiator horizontally with some fishing line.

This means I'll only be using the cpu loop for now, let's see how this goes.

Nate152
The ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC is installed, I put the radiator up top as its out of the way, I'll rig something up to get some good airflow.

Without even turning it on it's beautiful, the color scheme of black, white and silver matches everything perfectly. It comes with a 3x 8-pin to 16-pin pcie power cable adapter.

Nate152
Standing the radiator on its side and using a tie to hold it down worked well, we have airflow through the gpu radiator.

Nate152
Everything is connected except the pump power on the left side for the gpu.

The Swiftech Maelstrom pump/res combos have three cables each.

1) 4-pin molex connector for pump power
2) 4-pin pwm cable that connects to the cpu fan header for pump speed control
3) ARGB cable

The pumps will run at 100% if you let the pwm cable disconnected, I chose to let it disconnected to run the pumps at 100%.

The pumps CAN NOT run dry as damage to the pump may occur. I'll fill up the reservoir, hit the power button, then immediately turn off the psu power switch. Let it sit a few minutes and inspect for leaks, fill the reservoir and repeat.

I'm praying for two things.

1) A successful post
2) No Leaks

The only places I'm worried about leaks is at the metal/brass stop fittings I replaced in the radiators and the stop plug temp sensors, these fittings have the smallest/thinnest o-rings. I'll put plenty of towels around all the fittings just in case.

Good thing I saved a small bottle with the fill straw.

Nate152
I'll call this a half success as there are no leaks, windows and a few programs are installed. Everything is working great so far except the Thermaltake RGB plate, some of the led's aren't lighting up. I'll see if I can get another one sent.

Nate152
Thanks iBruceypoo !

I see you have a test bench, great for temps as there's no chance for any heat build up.

Did Hardware Labs give you long enough screws with your radiators to use with a mounting bracket?

I emailed them twice, got no response.

Nate152 wrote:
Thanks iBruceypoo !

I see you have a test bench, great for temps as there's no chance for any heat build up.

Did Hardware Labs give you long enough screws with your radiators to use with a mounting bracket?

I emailed them twice, got no response.

I believe the HWL standard M4 screws are 28mm in length.

Go with a 3rd party hardware group like MonsterBolts.com, super inexpensive even with shipping, like $7dollars USD for (2) packs of specialty length M4 screws in the black oxide color, I got 35mm and 40mm not knowing at the time of ordering which rad gaskets I was going with.

It's pretty simple just add up the thickness of all your interface components:

For me it was 25mm fan + (2) Noctua corner pads 2mm + Sorbothane washer 3mm + Alphacool Phobya gasket 10mm = 40mm screws needed.

25+2+3+10=40

If you're using a thinner gasket then of course go with 30mm or 35mm screws or whatever you're sum total interface thickness ends up - hope this helps ya out! 🙂

For silent builds I recommend highly the AC Phobya 10mm gaskets, but you'd need to measure your interior radiator space to make certain you have the necessary room when using a standard PC case...With a test bench everything pretty much fits. 🙂

The fan gasket rad interface, it's a bit dusty right now lol, but it's snug and fans are inaudible up to 950rpms - cool! :cool:

Z790 Epiphenomenal Raptor Bench

ROG Z790 Apex / Intel 13900KS SP111 P121 E93 MC83
Gskill 8000 kit - TM5 stable at 8200MT/s 38 48 48 121 VDD and VDDQ 1.5v
WD_Black SN850X 1TB 7300MB/s Reads 6300MB/s Writes
LG 32in 4K IPS 32UP83A-W