cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT Tower 900

Nate152
Hello everyone,

I thought I would share some pics with the start of a Thermaltake Tower 900 build. I chose this case because it supports two 560mm radiators and two pumps/reservoirs for two liquid cooling loops. What I'm after is silent, high performance cooling.

Case - Thermaltake Tower 900
Motherboard - ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi
CPU - i7 12700KF
Memory - Kingston Fury Beast 16GB 6000MT/s
GPU - ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC
SSD - Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB
Fan controller - Lamptron FC5-V3
Case fans - 2x Gelid Solutions Wing 14 uv Blue in the front and 2x stock 140mm fans in the rear
PSU - EVGA Supernova 1600w T2 Titanium

Water cooling:

Fittings - EK Quantum Torque STC 10/16mm (3/8 x 5/8)
CPU water block - EK Quantum velocity2
GPU water block (soon to come) - EK Quantum Vector2 ABP set
Pump/Res - 2x Swiftech Maelstrom X300 D5 V2
Radiators - 2x Hardware Labs SR2 560 MP
Radiator fans - 8x Thermaltake Ring 14 Blue
Tubing - Koolance uv/clear 3/8 x 5/8 soft tubing
Coolant - Koolance 702 uv blue
Temperature sensors - 2x Alphacool Eiszapfen flat stop plug sensors- chrome

I like how the Tower 900 is laid out with the hardware in the front and the radiators in the back, there are three glass panels to see in the front and both sides. But, I have two cons with this case.

1) It's Big, it's Bulky and it's Heavy. Empty it weighs 54 pounds, by the time it's built expect it to weigh 100 pounds.

2) Airflow - This case is meant for liquid cooling EVERYTHING and the front does not offer proper airflow, you get one exhaust fan above the motherboard and a hard drive fan mount in the center of the case. The vents at the bottom allow cool air to be drawn in.

Other than that, it's a solid well built pc case.

As I'm waiting to get a few more things, I went ahead and made a few changes. I took the two stock 140mm fans and put them on the back panel as exhaust and added two 140mm uv blue fans. There are no hard drives, it's just to help move air and hopefully give off a uv glow.

I flushed the radiators with hot distilled water, I didn't use any chemicals such as Mayems blitz or vinegar. The one radiator took 40 flushes, yes 40, until absolutely nothing came out. If I saw one particle it got it again, the other radiator took only 10 flushes.

A tip about the HWL radiators - I don't know if this holds true with all their radiators but the screws HWL provide with the SR2 560 MP are not long enough to use with a mounting bracket, you'll need to purchase 4x30mm screws to use a mounting bracket.

The Tower 900 comes with pump/reservoir mounting brackets for Thermaltake's pumps/reservoirs and they didn't match up with the Swiftech Maelstrom pump/res combos.

So out came their mounting brackets and I drilled holes in the bottom of the case to mount them, but I ran into an issue here too. The Swiftech mounting brackets are too wide, I had to make four cuts to get them to fit flush on the bottom.

Two cuts for each pump/res, this is one.

After that, they test fit nicely.

More to come.
44 REPLIES 44

iBruceypoo
Level 16
@Nate152

To mount the 280mm rad to the test bench frame I used the short 5mm length M4 screws HWL includes in the box.

To mount the 140mm Noctua Industrial fans and 3different noise absorbing materials to the rad I went with 40mm length M4 screws from a separate retailer.

Can probably get a good deal at your local hardware store, but none near me had what I needed in black, only silver screws.

:)**
Z790 Epiphenomenal Raptor Bench

ROG Z790 Apex / Intel 13900KS SP111 P121 E93 MC83
Gskill 8000 kit - TM5 stable at 8200MT/s 38 48 48 121 VDD and VDDQ 1.5v
WD_Black SN850X 1TB 7300MB/s Reads 6300MB/s Writes
LG 32in 4K IPS 32UP83A-W

Thanks Nate. Great thread. Beasty build! Doing a simpler version in a Corsair iCUE 7000x case. I need 4 x 3.5" HD bays; the Corsair will accept 6. I've gone with the ROG Maximus Extreme board, the 3090Ti LC OC, 12900KS and Corsair's H170i Elite CPU cooler. The ROG cooler like yours is unavailable. Almost forgot, using the Asus Thor 1200w as well.

Nate152
Hi Greg F

The cpu water block is the EK Quantum Velocity 2, the gpu cooler is the cooler that comes with the ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC.

Build looks absolutely awesome Nate. For the quantum velocity water block I used a variable torque wrench (.3Nm - 1.2Nm) and torqued mine at .5 instead of .6 on my new z790 build. BTW guess what came in....IMG_5652.jpgIMG_5651.jpg

★ Thor II 1000W ★ Strix Z790-A D4 ★ BIOS 0502 ★ SP 102 ★ 13900K ★ 32GB B-die 3600 CL14 ★ RTX 4080 ★ 1TB Firecuda530 ★ Helios ★ Custom EK water loop ★ Alienware 38 ★ SteelSeries Nova Pro ★ SteelSeries Apex Pro TKL ★ ROCCAT Burst Pro ★ ROG Clavis ★ Ubiquiti Alien ★

Nate152

Hey Sub_Zero thanks, that's an awesome headphone stand. Of course you know that is my forum name, and my Steam and Ubisoft name. That is really cool !

Getting the EK Quantum Vector2 water block took longer than planned but I finally got it. I originally wanted to go with the active backplate, but after getting with EK, they said there needs to be 15mm of clearance for the active backplate. It looks like the active backplate would have partially covered the M.2_1 slot, not too big of a deal there, but the Q-release button didn't allow for enough clearance, so I went with the standard backplate. 

There is no instruction manual in the box, you have to get it online. The install is pretty easy once you know which screws to remove. 

With the ASUS cooler removed, it needed a good cleaning. I used  q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean it up nice.

SANY0742.JPG

There are three thicknesses of thermal pads, these need to be cut to length and trimmed to width to avoid overlapping.

Here is with the thermal pads installed and thermal grizzly kryonaut applied to the gpu. There were a good many thermal pads that needed to be cut and trimmed for the backplate too.

SANY0745.JPG

Here is a pic of the soft tubing after about a year and a month. It's normal for soft tubing to turn cloudy after a year, mine turned coudy, brown and purple at the ends. It looked pretty nasty, so I redid it all in new tubing.

SANY0748.JPG

Installed, fired up, and all working great with no leaks, I'm extremely happy about that. The sign I had made turned out to be an ARGB sign, and we all know what happens when you connect an ARGB device to an RGB header, it goes poof. So, since I have an ROG Strix motherboard and graphics card, I thought an ROG Strix sign would look even better.

Koolance coolant is good for 2-3 years as long as it doesn't discolor, it hasn't shown any signs of discoloration or cloudiness so I'm reusing it.

SANY0749.JPGSANY0750.JPGSANY0754.JPG