cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Liza - PC Desk Build

eman_jr
Level 7
Hi all,

So I set out on a course to customize my glass corner desk and build into it a computer after being inspired by so many desk builds and modifications. Project has already started and I don't have an actual work log however I took pictures along the way. My end product was to have a custom water cooled PC cooling both CPU and GPU running a 3 monitor setup with dual GPU in SLI configuration. Unfortunately the funds aren't available to get to the destination in one project so this will mostly be an ongoing project for a long time. At this point I'm not sure as to when this build will be complete as I keep finding new things to upgrade or make changes to. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Here are the Hardware specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX
SSD Boot: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB
HDD: 4x Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - Raid 10
RAM: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400
PSU: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular
Mouse: Asus ROG Gladius (free with MB purchase)
Fans: 4x Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) - 8 total for Radiators
2x Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) - 4 total as Case Fans

Miscellaneous: Asus ROG Frontbase
ICY DOCK MB154SP-B 4 in 3 SATA 6Gbps Hot-Swap Hard Drive Backplane Raid Cage Module

Watercooling Specs
CPU Block: EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel/Plexi
Reservoir: 2x EK-RES X3 250 Reservoir
GPU Block: EK 970 GTX Strix - Nickel VGA Waterblock
Pumps: 2x EK-D5 Vario X-TOP - Plexi (Incl. Pump)
Radiators: Black Ice Nemesis 480GTS® XFLOW Ultra Stealth Cross-Flow Low Profile Radiator
Black Ice Nemesis 480GTS® Ultra Stealth U-Flow Low Profile Radiator

Radiator Mounts: CaseLabs 120.4 Flex-Bay Radiator Mount
CaseLabs 120.2 Flex-Bay Radiator Mount

Tubes: PrimoChill 1/2in Rigid PETG Tubing - 36in - Clear
Fittings: Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle Male to Male Rotary Adapter
Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter
Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle Stop Fitting
Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle Rotary 45 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter
PrimoChill Rigid Revolver Diamond Knurled Grip - Nickel Plated Brass Silver

The project as of this writing is about 85% complete which took about a month to get there. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and ideas to make this project a successful one.

I don't have an actual image of how the desk looked before I started but I was amazed to find a model of it created on SketchUp.
Thanks to whoever designed the desk on SketchUp, it made it easier for me to design my finish product. Many modifications was made to the sketch as the project physically started but it helped give me an idea of how it would look like when its done.

I separated the desk into 2 and based my build on the one with the 2 tier

I was limited on tools but overall it seems everything turned out OK. Most of my cutting was done with a hand saw until i had to cut shapes in the plywood I purchased an oscillating tool and later the B&D rotary tool. I didn't get perfect cuts but it was good enough to work with.

You know the saying measure twice cut once, well in my instance measure twice cut 4 times. I worked my way through cutting the parts and pieces i needed basing of the SketchUp measurements but later realized they are not exact sizes as my desk.

I had to put some creativity into it and make the sides fit in between 2 metals. Trying to peel a layer off a plywood is harder than it looks.

Another creative Idea I had was to use CaseLabs Radiator mounts to house my side fans

Trying to get a visual layout of the parts

Testing Fans and mounting Radiator

More creativity... Cut out rectangles to fit in the radiator mounts

Here's how it looks from the back of the desk

More visual layout...

I will update with more pictures as I get them uploaded.
0 REPLIES 0