cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Blackout (800D/Intel/Asus/NVidia): Home PC Gamer Build/Server for movies

EckoInLasVegas
Level 7
Im in the process of upgrading to a new, shiny and gigantic tower. My old unit is coming up to 6 years old with mild upgrades along the way. I built, at the time, a very powerful desktop PC in 2006/2007. I upgraded it mildly in 2011. Its time to move onto new stuff.

Old setup (2007 spec):

-Thermaltake Xaser III Blue Case with 8 80MM fans
-EVGA 680I Motherboard
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
-4GB Patriot Extreme DDR2
-EVGA 7950 GT Video Card
-150GB WD Raptor Drive
-500Gb WD Storage Drive
-750 Watt Thermaltake PSU

Mid-Point Upgrades (2010 spec)

-Corsair Stacker 830 EVGA Case
-750 Thermaltake Modular PSU
-Intel Core 2 Quad 9450
-8GB Corsair Dominator Memory
-PNY 9800GT 1GB and EVGA GTX 260
-3x 1.5 TB WD HDDs
-300GB WD VelociRaptor HDD

Well, the old cases and old tech started to wear me down. Got tired of slow boot times, etc

New Setup (so far)

-Corsair Obsidian 800D Case
-Corsair AX1200-Watt Gold PSU
-Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
-Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor HDD (will be used as an OS Drive)
-Lite-On Blu-Ray Drive, DVD-Burner Combo
-4x Corsair 120MM 2450RPM Case Fans
-PSU and Fans have rubber sound dampeners

In the works:

-32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum
-Corsair Memory Fan
-Corsair Memory Fan LED Readout
-Intel Core i7-3770K
-EVGA GTX590 x2 OR EVGA GTX660Ti x2
-5x WD Black 2TB HDDs (Raid 5)

I currently have one 24" Asus LED Monitor, plan to get another 24" monitor. I plan to either use a Corsair Hydro Series H90 CPU cooler or a Koolance Exos V2 All-In-One cooler. Or some elaborate, over ridiculous and expensive liquid cooling. I will probably stick with the first option.

Enough typing...onto the photos:

http://s681.beta.photobucket.com/user/eckoinlasvegas/story/7167
4 REPLIES 4

EckoInLasVegas
Level 7
I got a fair amount of idea from this site. Its been a while since I actually modified a case and played around with it. Time to bust out the tools and start playing with her this weekend

WeRNothiNg
Level 10
Sounds like it is going to be nice. I started out with a very similar Striker Extreme Q6700 setup with 2 8800 GTX OCs. I used it for media for media storage/streaming, then upgraded to a P5Q Pro turbo mobo. I recently upgraded again to the build you see in my signature. I still use it for media storage and streaming, but also game on it quite a bit. Could I recommend not putting you OS on a mechanical HDD. It does take a little bit more prep work to keep the drive healthy, but running your OS from an SSD will make a huge difference in the OSs reaction time. I am running a 120gb Kingston Hyperx 3k. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than that, a 90gb may be do-able. With Win7 Ult x64 and Battlefield 3 on my 120 I have 50gb free. I can get you a guide that will show you everything you need to know about deleting you hibernation file, relocating user files and temp folders, disabling prefetch, superfetch, and indexing. I paid $120 for mine and it is really worth twice that performance wise. You can also get a PCIe Sata raid controller which will enable you to use another smaller or equal sized SSD as a cache for your mechanical drives. The results will amaze you. Here is my Windows Index score I have CPUz on there as well to show that it is at complete stock settings.
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

EckoInLasVegas
Level 7
I changed up some of my build list. I got an EVGA GTX580 with two EK water blocks for a great price, so I couldnt pass it up. I also forgot I have a 27" monitor. So triple 27" are in the works. Also plan to go with SSd for the primary drive. Storage drives will have to wait for now.

Most the way done on my stage 1 of the build. Later on I will add another 580 and watercool them. I already have two ek water blocks for the GPUs.

Chino
Level 15
It looks very sweet, mate. You picked the perfect motherboard for the theme. Even the GPU's color matches your fans. 🙂