cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naked Asus MarsII QuadSLI Watercooling Project

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
Naked Asus MarsII QuadSLI Watercooling Project

It all began in winter 2011, so I don't have to tell everything again, here is the link to the buildlog at that time: Click here

Now to the actual project:

Asus MarsII QuadSLI Watercooled

Hardware components
Case: Xigmatek Elysium
PSU: Enermax MaxRevo1500 + Corsair A850
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X
RAM: 4x8Gb G.Skill RipjawsZ 2133Mhz
GPU: 2x Asus MarsII in QuadSLI

Cooling components
CPU: Corsair H100
RAM: Kingston HyperX Coolers
GPU: self-designed watercooler

Watercooling components
Pump: Alphacool VPP655-T12
Reservoir: Phobya Balancer 250
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra3 360 PRO
Tubing: Masterkleer 19/13mm

First here's the link to my main buildlog, where you will also find pictures in full resolution: Click here

I'm designing a specially adapted water cooler for my two Asus MarsII. I'll keep the original look of the Asus MarsII cards as you can see in the picture below.

In addition, a video that I created for the project: http://youtu.be/MPn_F_qq6eE

As the title indicate, I have modified my cards. I have removed the IHSs of the GTX580s on both Asus MarsII, so that it is possible for me to make a flat as possible and efficient water cooler. More photos you can see here: Click here

The design of the water cooler is now almost complete, some little things still need to be corrected or adjusted. The latest version looks like this:

The construction of the water coolers in QuadSLI mode will look as follows:

Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |
19 REPLIES 19

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
Sleeving + Frontpanel

I had never done sleeving before and it was a tedious piece of work. Two power supplies, various internal cables, pump cables, fan connectors,…everything should shine with red and black sleeving, respectively the 24pin ATX cables in red, black and silver sleeving . It was hard work but in the end it looks so much better than before and the cables are more flexible and easier to install.
In addition, I removed the fan grill on the frontpanel and replaced it with clear plexiglass.

More Pics + FullRes: Click here
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
Reassembly

In late June the only part missing so far were the two waterblocks for my Asus MarsII cards. Everything else was ready for Installation, so I started with the reassembly. I installed my two GTX Titans to test the system and to do a clean install of Windows.

Looptest

GTX Titans out, Asus MarsII in. I made a first looptest for about 8 hours. From the outside could find no leaks, but I wanted to be sure and unmounted both Asus MarsII. The first one was ok, no water on the card or somewhere on the waterblock, the second one had a leak and water came out. Because of the complete tightness of the first waterblock, I suspected that the second waterblock wasn’t bolted together properly. I did a second looptest with a runtime of 6 hours, the result was convincing no more leaks.

Looptest

GTX Titans out, Asus MarsII in. I made a first looptest for about 8 hours. From the outside could find no leaks, but I wanted to be sure and unmounted both Asus MarsII. The first one was ok, no water on the card or somewhere on the waterblock, the second one had a leak and water came out. Because of the complete tightness of the first waterblock, I suspected that the second waterblock wasn’t bolted together properly. I did a second looptest with a runtime of 6 hours, the result was convincing no more leaks.

The (current) end of the project

The thin copper plates arrived a few days after and I changed the thermal pads I used for trial before. Then I reinstalled everything into my Xigmatek Elysium case. I made another two hour Looptest to check for leaks, then I started the machine with the current Windows installation to check if the hardware and temperatures are ok. It seemed that everything was ok, so I went on and performed a clean install of Windows. When I advanced to driver installation, I noticed some fast disappearin flickerings here and there, especially after reenabling Nvidia Surround, but so far the machine was working well in quadSLI configuration.
I went on to do some benchmarking and game testing in the following days, the results were quite promising max temperatures around 50°C with a 2°C difference between the Chips on one card.
Then it happened...on the right screen rainbow-colored artifacts appeared and Windows 8 rebooted. Windows made some system checks and rebooted back to desktop. Then the Nvidia Control Panel popped up showing that my SLI configuration has changed, I checked that and it was true it was no more working in quadSLI it changed to triSLI, showing only three GTX 580s in NCP. Device Manager showed Windows Error Code 43 for one of the GTX 580 chips. After sorting out which card and chip it was, I took the card out of the system and disassembled it. There was neither no leak/water nor could I find a physical damage. I built the Asus MarsII back together and mounted it again. I tried some different things but the chip stayed marked with Windows Error Code 43, I suspect that one of the Vrams died.
However the other three GTX 580s worked flawlessly. I continued with benchmarking and overclocking and with @svl7 help, I was able to reach a stable 940Mhz core clock. I did some benchmarks, unfortunately I lost/deleted the screenshots.
The card was still under warranty, so I called the Asus Tech Support, to ask how RMA works with a limited edition item which is most-likely no more in stock. He said at best I'm getting the card back with exchanged chips and in the worst case I get the defective card back as it is. I decided to try to RMA the card...Six or seven weeks I heard nothing then I called the store to ask if they heard something, they had no information as well, but they promised me to check the status and give me an update. Two days after they called me on my mobile and told me that Asus has no idea what the RMA status is nor where the Asus MarsII is at the moment. They offered me to book the purchase price as a credit to my store account, I accepted this solution. I bought myself a Samsung 940X3G with this credit a few weeks ago.
The fully functional Asus MarsII is still in my possession, probably I'll make a smaller watercooling desktop build sometime in the future...

These are the last pics I made before I RMA'd the card:

In the meantime, I’ve continued with another watercooling project, two Asus GTX Titans were waiting...

The (current) end of the project

The thin copper plates arrived a few days after and I changed the thermal pads I used for trial before. Then I reinstalled everything into my Xigmatek Elysium case. I made another two hour Looptest to check for leaks, then I started the machine with the current Windows installation to check if the hardware and temperatures are ok. It seemed that everything was ok, so I went on and performed a clean install of Windows. When I advanced to driver installation, I noticed some fast disappearin flickerings here and there, especially after reenabling Nvidia Surround, but so far the machine was working well in quadSLI configuration.
I went on to do some benchmarking and game testing in the following days, the results were quite promising max temperatures around 50°C with a 2°C difference between the Chips on one card.
Then it happened...on the right screen rainbow-colored artifacts appeared and Windows 8 rebooted. Windows made some system checks and rebooted back to desktop. Then the Nvidia Control Panel popped up showing that my SLI configuration has changed, I checked that and it was true it was no more working in quadSLI it changed to triSLI, showing only three GTX 580s in NCP. Device Manager showed Windows Error Code 43 for one of the GTX 580 chips. After sorting out which card and chip it was, I took the card out of the system and disassembled it. There was neither no leak/water nor could I find a physical damage. I built the Asus MarsII back together and mounted it again. I tried some different things but the chip stayed marked with Windows Error Code 43, I suspect that one of the Vrams died.
However the other three GTX 580s worked flawlessly. I continued with benchmarking and overclocking and with @svl7 help, I was able to reach a stable 940Mhz core clock. I did some benchmarks, unfortunately I lost/deleted the screenshots.
The card was still under warranty, so I called the Asus Tech Support, to ask how RMA works with a limited edition item which is most-likely no more in stock. He said at best I'm getting the card back with exchanged chips and in the worst case I get the defective card back as it is. I decided to try to RMA the card...Six or seven weeks I heard nothing then I called the store to ask if they heard something, they had no information as well, but they promised me to check the status and give me an update. Two days after they called me on my mobile and told me that Asus has no idea what the RMA status is nor where the Asus MarsII is at the moment. They offered me to book the purchase price as a credit to my store account, I accepted this solution. I bought myself a Samsung 940X3G with this credit a few weeks ago.
The fully functional Asus MarsII is still in my possession, probably I'll make a smaller watercooling desktop build sometime in the future...

These are the last pics I made before I RMA'd the card:

In the meantime, I’ve continued with another watercooling project, two Asus GTX Titans were waiting...

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
Asus MarsII waterblocks

On June 28th the waterblocks finally arrived. I quickly made some checks, if everything was ok and if the waterblock fits on the card. There was a difference of 4/10mm during production in direction of the inlet/outlet, but I had luck and it was no problem to mount the waterblock. Another production error was the missing vram-isle for the chip near the power connectors, no problem because I had 2mm thermal pads, but I contacted Liquid-Extasy to get an answer, until today I didn’t get a response.

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
The ressurection of the gods

I reassembled both Asus MarsII cards and performed a last check, I noticed that the “rear” GTX 580 chips (near the power connectors) only had partially contact with the copper base from the waterblock. I decided to use my 1mm thermal pads as a temporary solution and ordered 0.5mm thick copper plates from Ebay.
I went on, started the system and first (as always) I had to troubleshoot some Bios error codes. I checked the temperatures with Hwinfo64 and was satisfied 30-37°C idle with a room temperature of 24°C. I tested a bit further and did some benchmark runs to push the cards, the problem with thermal pads was clearly visual, the GTX 580 chips heated up to 78°C while the other two chips with MX-4 thermal compound were at 48°C. But the system was fully functional and the thin copper plates were expected to arrive soon.

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
Single Asus MarsII powerhouse

Hey Guys
I reinstalled my Asus MarsII once again. I modified respectively cut the 5Slot-Aquacomputer twinconnect to a single-slot connection.
It's quite impressive how effective watercooling is on a powerhouse card like the Asus MarsII. I never reached temperatures above 60°C with a coreclock of 950Mhz (26% overclock) and a roomtemperature of 25°C.:p:cool: I wonder how good the new Asus AresIII will perform with the singleslot-fullcover-waterblock. :confused::p

Before I handed my GTX Titans over to a colleague for some MultiGPU benching, I ran some benchmarks to show the difference between GK110 and GF110 in SLI.

Here the results:
Setup:
i7-3960X@4.7Ghz
Asus GTX Titan@876/1502 core/memory (stock)
Asus MarsII@782/1002 core/memory (stock)
Asus MarsII@876/1002 core/memory

naj1991
Level 8
hmmm,....the mars2 looks realy nice with the cooler..., (but i cant see your attachments in the least post ;)^^ )
for me i prefer the 420er mora3-pro version... 😉 its quiter than the 360er (also with 120mm and 180mm fans.. 😉 140mm have perfect balance of quitness and flow i think.. i have 3x 580lithning on them and realy good temps, but i dont think that it was a overkill of radatiorsize... the temp of the liquid was never over 26° and in fully load the 3cards have nearly 35-40° (in long gaming sessions) i had the same bull****ing fail as you with 1 of them after some years... (GPU killed...) have only pink green and blue little stripes over the screen... the other 2 cards are still working (only in another build...) but thats a known error of the GF110... probably only no look when your card is cracking so fast... (but i dont think that asus or MSI can give you a second once or can repair it... ) thats the reasn i put my 580er card out of my pc...
Greez JT