cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modding My GTX 780 Ti

Dicehunter
Level 10
So I'm modding the shroud and "GEFORCE GTX" LED strip on my 780 Ti as I want to make it more, Mine, If that makes sense.

So far I have taken it apart, Scuffed the metal panels up nicely, Painted the silver panels black and right now they are baking in the oven.

This baking procedure hardens the paint as to avoid scuffs and scratches etc... and is quite standard when modding metal of any type be it car parts, Bike parts, Pretty much any painted metal, It helps to harden/cure the paint more thoroughly.

The main already black shroud that sits on the fan itself I left alone as it is matt black with a silver ring around the fan intake and thought it would make a nice contrast to the darker surroundings so left it untouched.

2 hours before I put them in the oven -

*WARNING The camera I have is pure dog skat so sorry for the low image quality*

And before I coloured the panels I removed the green layer on the LED strip uncovering a clean white colour and then put it back together to make sure it still worked, The picture doesn't do it justice at all -

To change the LED colour you need to first take the shroud apart which consists of 8 x 2mm hex screws and a few 1.5mm hex screws, For this use a 1.5mm and 2mm alan/hex key.

Once that has been done take the shroud to pieces and the LED strip will just fall out.

You can disconnect the wire but it's really fiddly so just leave it attached.

Once you have the LED strip in hand use the 400 grit sand paper on it until you are left with a dark clear surface, Be sure to keep any debris away from the card.

Example below -

A Few Hours Later -

Ok so after baking in the oven for a few hours I took the pieces out and let them cool off, Put the shroud back on and it looks the mutts nuts, Infact it looks so good it's the Great Danes Nadgers !

Not 1 smudge, Scratch or bubble, Quite pleased with the work

Used a gloss black to contrast the matt black of the already black metal fan cover -

Just waiting on my carbon fiber "styled" backplate now.

So what does everyone think ?

5 REPLIES 5

abvolt
Level 11
Wow that really does look much better great job..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

abvolt wrote:
Wow that really does look much better great job..

Thank you 🙂

Antronman
Level 10
I always liked AMD's cooler designs more.

They always looked better, with the colors and such.

All that Nvidia reference shrouds match are *shudders*

Gigabyte boards.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

JJVal
Level 7
Awesome !!!

rognoobie