cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loud & Fast stage 2

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
Hi there,
I just ordered the MIPS mobo set for my rampage II extreme and and an 240 radiator. also the other stuff needed, like pump and hose and so on. in two weeks I`ve got holliday and hope the parts will be here than to start (and finish) the build.

Dusty before and shiny after pics will follow.

Greets,L&F
29 REPLIES 29

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
day 5:
the Motherboard
installed the MIPS kit

Than this guy visited me and need to get some mp3s from my HDD on his mobile phone. -NOW-
so we hurried up to get the system run again. This pic is seconds before the filling
rough-and -ready hoses and pump. The stock heatsink had temps above 40°cel for N&S bridges(all fans running) now (only CPU & PSU fan) under 40°cel with a passive radiator.
the PSU is heavy enough to balance the radiator.

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
A few parts are still missing (ram cooler, sleeves, new HDDs...), but this will take a few weeks. So I show you the last pics for so far.
the pump between soundcard and dvd-rom
the biggest change of stage 2:
If I would only had recognised the diameter of the anchor earlier - anyway I love the result!
and still no place for the filter found, so it`s tied to the PCI power cables

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
the booster kit
my favourite snapshot
close the door

Giannis996
Level 9
nice!!!! you are working really hard on it!!! i wish you the best!!
Project Name: System Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Prossesor: Intel Core i7 4820k
Graphic Card: Asus GTX Titan x2
*Power Supply: Cooler Master V850
Ram: 32Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
SSD: 2x Samsung Evo 250Gb Raid 0
HDD: 2x Seagate Baraccuda 2TB

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
Thank, Giannis!

Some sleevings I`ve done for the lightshow:

Zka17
Level 16
Loud & Fast, I'm trying to understand your built for a while now... Don't get me wrong, I like it!

Just wondering what was the concept behind it?

I got the part that you wanted a better cooling for the VRM, NB and SB - the X58 systems can run hot on those points. I also can understand the reason you choose the water cooling on them. It's somewhat strange that you have the mobo on water and kept the cpu on air - but hey, actually may work.

What I can not understand, it's the position of that radiator. At the beginning, when you cut both sides of the 5.25 bay, I thought you would place the rad inside, with a side-to-side airflow through it. Then you placed the radiator outside and added two fans on the front - vertical to the radiator... Why did you cut the right side of the 5.25 bay then?! Are you planning to add a second radiator on the other side?

Did you considered placing the radiator in a frontal position, thus you can have a straight airflow through it helped by those two front fans? I think, actually you would have a better cooling effect... And if you would be worried about the noise, there would be the same amount of fans...

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
My concept? no concept! (just beeing loud and fast! 😄 hehe ups. Than I will try to explain: I have this PC for three years now. I`m rearly a fan of the rampage 2 extreme because of its lacking onboard sound (afaik it`s the only mobo missing sound jacks). Bought the case because of it`s straight swage block in the front. But this look was gone after installing dvdrom and soundcard. so I wanted to get all the 5.25panels gone and did this with the shroud and the lcd monitor. Someday I found these hdd coolers and wanted them for a raid0 (which is not running `till now). Installed them with hdds as C: and D:, but coudn`t watch them (and they are rearly nice, the nicest ones ever!!) so the plan for the cutting-out of the sides was born. Next thought was: looking on a black nothing between the hds is boring, I need some background! What could it be?:confused: what could it be? try an radiator and remind the funktion of an airbrush gun or sailing against the wind: sucking something on by passing it:cool: I don`t know how well this works in my setup, but I increased the temps even with no airflow.
I don`t plan to WC the cpu, about 60°cel/full throttle are ok. But the Graphic cooler is throttled by the soundcard. This needs to be changed some day.
All clarity removed?
Thanks for your interest

Zka17
Level 16
I've got it, you are an opportunist pc builder. Hey, nothing wrong with it! You've got an idea and you did it, then an other idea and did that too, and so on. And you did a good job! Now I understand.

About the graphic card, yeah, that was my next question - how much air is that getting? Maybe, you want to put that on WC?

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
In theory GPU is straight in the flow of the two 140`s in the front. But PSU sucks out air too. And soundcard (see first pic on page 2 of this threat) covers 1,5 fans of the GPUcooler.
As I`ve so many Alpenföhn parts, I fancy with Peter. But the guys form "caseking.de" told me (very fast) it won`t fit to my gtx570 because it`s not a reference design. I didn`t scale it myself. But the fins of Peter are in the direction that you can blow it form side and if I would mount the fan bracket to the first or second slot, it would even blow the hot (rearly hot) air from above the card. here is a video introducing Peter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhT-IGudH7Y
skip to 2:30
If I would WC it, I surely need another radiator placed directly into the air steam. Maybe, I don`t know yet.

Zka17
Level 16
Yeah, that solution from the YouTube looks nice... just not for your setup. Remember, first of all, you need clearance below your graphic card! Placing fans at the side or above it may not have enough performance boost.

How about placing your sound card above the VGA? You could use something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158165 (it may not be the exact model, but you got the idea - do your search 🙂 )