cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kraken G10 X 2

madspec
Level 7
Finally got my G10's.

Ran into a couple of problems but minor stuff.

So, this MOD is for both my Asus GTX770 DIRECT CUII OC, did not have problems with them but they did get hot under load, 75 in game, wanted to see if those NZXT brackets would work... They ABSOLUTELY DO !

- First off, I did go Overkill with the parts , you don't need VRAM heatsinks at all and the g10 kit does have included fans, I added some red one's to keep my color scheme.

- The VRAM heatsinks did not fit...too tall so ill sand them down a bit and reinstall them some other time, you can get some low profiles one from Zalman. But again, you don't need those, the RAM does not get hot at all, it was a cheap add on so I gave it a try.

- The VRM's however I wanted to keep cool. The DIRECT CUII has a heatsink and some heat tape but it's in place with the original backplate of the card. You have to get rid of it to be able to install the G10 so I used some thread to keep it in place.

- Once that was done , installed the bracket and Tadam, this it what it look's like. Pretty nice IMO, and the temps are awesome.

About the same at idle (24-25) but at max load i got maybe 38-39 in game in Ghost or BF4, that's kinda crazy. I ran some bench's and got the card's to about 56 in a Furmark @ 1080p for 15 minutes. I'm satisfied, this is a cheap cooling mod and it works.

Mad
Intel I9 12900K - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO - G-Skill TridentZ RGB 32Gb DDR5 @ 6400Mhz - Lian Li 360 AIO - Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 2TB NVME - EVGA 1300G PSU -
4 REPLIES 4

Moejoe
Level 7
I did the same thing to my 770, but for your information you should know that you can leave the backplate on the card without any problem. So you still have the advantage of the increased ridigity, aswell as no need for ghetto solutions for the VRM heatsink.

Just make sure not to overtighten the screws, since the pressure will be higher due to increased height between backplate and chip. I did 5-6 revolutions and it works perfectly. Here some (crappy smartphone) images of my install.

madspec
Level 7
Ho, I did try and it did not work, will try later today, maybe I did something wrong. Thanks for the info !!
Intel I9 12900K - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO - G-Skill TridentZ RGB 32Gb DDR5 @ 6400Mhz - Lian Li 360 AIO - Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 2TB NVME - EVGA 1300G PSU -

Moejoe
Level 7
My nuts had little plastic washers on the bottom, which disintegrated when screwing them on anyway so i removed those.
Removing these makes it far easier for the nuts to "grip" the screws when they dont stand out as much.

Maybe this accounts for your problem. I actually tried it with the washers on a r9 290 and i couldnt make it work there, even though that card didnt have a backplate in the first place, so i thought most people removed them anyway.

JeffD
Level 7
Im about to do this with my Asus 770's. Which way should the vrm fan face and it just plugs into the gpu right?