Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G70AB Resto-mod

Level 7
Hi everyone,

So this build isn't like most of the amazing builds I've seen in this forum (Read: works of art!!) but more a modification that'll always be a work in progress.

The system started its life as a stock ROG G70AB (i7 4770k @ 4.1Ghz/16G ram/nVidia 780GTX) which I bought exclusively for VR gaming.



I only play games with my Oculus Rift DK2 and will be upgrading to the CV1 when they release it. This means the system need to maintain the 75hz/FPS (and 90hz/FPS in the CV1) no matter what
detail level I use.

As the DK2's resolution isn't very high, there isn't as much of a need for high AA/AF. In the future I'm sure there will be 😉

Anyway, I modified the stock system firstly with a GTX Titan X to get the VR working nicely. Replacing the GTX 780 wasn't that hard. I primarily needed to remove the
vertical brace in the case to make it fit and it connected to the PSU no problem and away we went.


I've then bought a Maximus VI Gene, Xonar DSX (to run my Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset) and also added two extra 120mm fans. One is inside the hard drive cage at the front
of the case to pull more air from the front intake fan and the other on the back of the stock Asetek radiator for a push/pull arrangement. They're both connected to the
PSU directly and run at full speed the whole time.



So after I've built the system and loaded a clean install of Windows 8.1 I did what any of you would do, I started testing 😉

As I was preparing the build, I'd read a lot of chat on the web about the i7 4770k and how it MIGHT be a great overclocker, depending on the quality of the CPU you've got. Some of them
are amazing, others are stinkers.

This CPU came standard with the G70AB so I wasn't expecting anything spectacular. It'd lived a year at 4.1Ghz afterall.

So after loading the latest BIOS, I put in a multiplier of 46 and upped the voltage to 1.2V and waited to see what happened, and it posted to Windows no problem 🙂 I then started to push
it a little to see how high it'd get. 47 @ 1.2 posted and ran 3D mark FireStrike no issue.

Eventually, I found the limits of the CPU. I didn't want to push the voltage over 1.3 so I set that voltage and typed in a multiplier of 50 (I can dream can't I 😛 )and it wouldn't load Windows. I worked
my way backwards and have now get it running games and 3D mark happily at 4.9Ghz with 1.3V!

The strange thing I've found is, when playing games and running 3D mark benches it'll tick over quite happily. If I try to get it to run a CPU stress test it'll crash at 4.7 at anything under 1.3V.

I'm sure there's a way to get it stable at 4.8/4.9 with the right amount of tweaking as the only thing I've done so far is altered the multiplier and voltage.

Thanks for reading my little rant 😉